2004 Utopia 205 Optimax Pump Refresh

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

reamenator

I am the original owner of a 2004 Utopia 205 with the 250hp Optimax. The pump has been cavitating for quite a while and pulling skiers is a challenge (not a lot of torq and lots of cavitation). I suspect that it's time for a rebuild.

Doing a bit of research, there is not a replaceable wear ring, you need to replace or rebuild the whole housing. There also seem to be options to machine the existing wear ring housing and press fit a stainless steel or delrin (plastic) sleeve. While I'm in there, probably should upgrade the impeller for better hole shots and water skiing.

Any thoughts on what route to go with those options? I'm pretty good with a wrench, but not opposed to sending the parts to someone. Also how does the stator fit into the equation?

some people use jb weld to put a fresh layer on the surface of the ware ring. I think there are a couple of posts or youtube videos going over the technique. they say it works quite well if you don't want to go for the more expensive solutions. also, they say 75% (if thats the right number) of the ware is on the prop so don't foget to have that looked at too. I understand there are a lot of places that can do that kind of work

some people use jb weld to put a fresh layer on the surface of the ware ring. I think there are a couple of posts or youtube videos going over the technique. they say it works quite well if you don't want to go for the more expensive solutions. also, they say 75% (if thats the right number) of the ware is on the prop so don't foget to have that looked at too. I understand there are a lot of places that can do that kind of work

Thanks for the feedback. Any thoughts on aftermarket impellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back