2002 Utopia 205 very rich and smokey

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhighdiver

Ok I have had my 205 4 3 years now and love her but this year she is choking me out
I thought maybe it was just the old winter gas and oil in from winter
but now have run 2 tanks through, as well as installed new plugs and port side senser
still seems to run very rich to the point many times when I shut her down after towing tub and start back up in under a few minutes she wont start have to pop engine cover and hold choke plate open. Also seems like more smoke than normal as well
Sucks in the mid west its 3 hr drive to anybody that will work on the m2 so try to do as much as I can
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

My first idea is to put this one in the right section. (Merc's aren't Rotax) so, I'll move it for you.

Anyway, let's start by figuring out what engine you have. I can't really help unless I know. SO... what is it? Better yet... just post up a couple pics of it.

Sorry for the lack of info. I thought I was in the 2stroke Merc section. Must have navigated away as I researched this.
I have a 2001 240 EFI OE# 406026 its in a 2002 utopia 205 but must have been build early and used older motor version
Motor has 166 total hrs with half between the 4000-4999 rpm range the rest all over the place
I have tried all the general things I have found here
New plugs ( I do yearly any way)
I run only Premium gas no ethanol ,
I run quickleen through system at least once a season
I use only Merc prem plus oil
I have changed the port side temp sensor ( don't know if old was bad or new one good but I changed it)
Just this season our 3rd with the boat it seems to be really smoky and smells like its running rich .Get a lot of blue smoke upon full throttle take off
Often when I pull a tube and stop for a few minutes and go to restart it will not I have to pop engine cover and hold Carb plate open it then starts right away. And may work all day but off and on it does this usually on a quick turn around of shut down and restart

Your help is greatly appreciated by me :cheers:
IMG_1391.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OK... a couple thoughts, so I just added them in red.

Sorry for the lack of info. I thought I was in the 2stroke Merc section. Must have navigated away as I researched this.
I have a 2001 240 EFI OE# 406026 its in a 2002 utopia 205 but must have been build early and used older motor version

Nope, that's a newer engine. That's why I wanted a picture

Motor has 166 total hrs with half between the 4000-4999 rpm range the rest all over the place
I have tried all the general things I have found here
New plugs ( I do yearly any way) Always a good idea.
I run only Premium gas no ethanol ,Not a good idea. Premium fuel just makes heat. Your engine only needs 89. And the Ethinol thing is a push. Honestly, it runs well on regular E10.

I run quickleen through system at least once a season I don't like it. It's a solvent, and displaces oil.

I use only Merc prem plus oil OK... good.

I have changed the port side temp sensor ( don't know if old was bad or new one good but I changed it)
Just this season our 3rd with the boat it seems to be really smoky and smells like its running rich .Get a lot of blue smoke upon full throttle take off Normal for a 2-stroke

Often when I pull a tube and stop for a few minutes and go to restart it will not I have to pop engine cover and hold Carb plate open it then starts right away. And may work all day but off and on it does this usually on a quick turn around of shut down and restart When it's running, and at idle... what's the RPM in the water?

Your help is greatly appreciated by me :cheers:
View attachment 31971

I'm thinking you may have a bad TPS. (Throttle position sensor) AND... it can't figure out where "Idle" should be. Do you have the manual for that engine? You can check it with a regular meter.

OK... a couple thoughts, so I just added them in red.

I'm thinking you may have a bad TPS. (Throttle position sensor) AND... it can't figure out where "Idle" should be. Do you have the manual for that engine? You can check it with a regular meter.
I have this one which I believe to be the correct one
image.jpg
I'm unsure of our rpm at Idol want to say it's at about 1000 won't be out till next weekend to recheck I do know that I also noticed the steering throttle boost no longer is working (when you turn the wheel all the way one way and it throttles up) if this information may be helpful I did adjust throttle cable last fall at the jet port cable location when doing winterization as needed to to get the boot on cable so adjusted connection out a little which brought the reverse gate down a little thereby making neutral closer to neutral as it used to surge forward a lot when at Idol but have been running fine until recently. I am an electrical contractor so I know how to use a multi meter but when it comes to engines I'm not versed on how the parts work if I have a bad TPS sensor how can I check that or can you give me some step-by-step more than thank you

That's the manual for the older engine. The engine you have is almost a different engine all together. (The guts are the same, but in 2001-1/2, everything bolted to it changed)

Checking the TPS isn't hard to do. Basically, you disconnect the plug on the side of it... and use a meter to get a resistance reading. I don't have the specs in front of me... that's why I asked if you had the manual. I can try to post them later today. BUT, if you go from the center, to one of the outer pins. See if you get a smooth change in resistance over the entire throttle sweep. If it bounces, or goes open... that's probably where the issue is.

On your engine... getting your hands on a DDT really helps.

That would be great if you could post the specs since my manual is not right I guess
Do you have a link to the correct one as I got this from here 3 years ago when I got the boat and was a prem member

I just dug thought the manual... and it really only gives the test using the DDT system. (Mercury's computer) It does give output voltages... but you would have to make up a test lead for the TPS.

But, as I sat here thinking... the smoke could be some other things.

1) Too much fuel pressure. (From a sticking regulator)

Or
2) Leaking injectors.

OK... since I've been reading a few posts with similar issues.... Once it's started... will it idle? if so... what's the RPM?

This is happening to me as well... if I run at idle or low speeds for a while, the next time I accelerate I get a lot of smoke. Compression on all my cylinders are good. Is there a way to adjust the oil injection? Also, my tach doesn't seem to go much above 5k at WOT.

No Im almost tempted to disconnect oil injection and just run a 50/1 ration mix full time.
My Tach will hit almost 6000 when wot and hit 48-51 depending on gas load

No Im almost tempted to disconnect oil injection and just run a 50/1 ration mix full time.
My Tach will hit almost 6000 when wot and hit 48-51 depending on gas load

Then it will smoke even more. The Mercury system is variable, and will push up to 120:1 at idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back