1994 GTX being sluggish in lower RPMs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ueww40

The Sea Doo came with the dual carbs as seen on the picture. It's not something that I put on at a later date. I overhauled both carbs 8 years ago. During the season I usually use regular car gas (10% ethanol) to keep the fuel system clean, but at the end of the season I always run the tank empty and put about 3 gallons of marine fuel (ethanol free) in the tank and run the Sea Doo for about 15 minutes and then it sits in the garage during the winter until next year. I am pretty sure that I did a good job overhauling the carbs 8 years ago but ever since then, if I recall it correctly, the Sea Doo does not run exactly like it should. To begin with it has a hard time starting on its own. So I spray a little starter fluid into the carbs and it starts right away. If the Sea Doo has been sitting for a week or so upon initial start up it belches a lot of smoke out of the exhaust. At this point the Sea Doo is still on the trailer. I always start it up on the trailer before I put it in the water to make sure everything is ok. Then, after I put it in the water and it is under load, many times when I start it up and open up the throttle it may take off or not. When it doesn't, I know what it is. I pull the plugs and they are fowled. I clean them up, put them back and everything most of the times is good from then on. My question is, does the Sea Doo get too much oil for some reason after it's been sitting for a few weeks or longer, hence the smoke when first started and the subsequent plug wetting. The next problem is, when sitting in the water idling for a while it has a tendency to stall. If I start it again right away, it usually starts without a problem. If I wait 5 minutes or so or more it may or may not start. Then I have to squirt some starter fluid in the carbs and it will start right away. Then if I slowly increase throttle it doesn't want to come, it seems to be sluggish and hesitant. If I throttle up aggressively it will catch on and take off like a bat out of hell. In summary: In the lower 1/3 throttle range it has a hard time starting and accelerating, in the 2/3 range it's better but still seems to lack responsiveness to throttle movement and 3/3 range seems to be perfect. In WOT that baby flies. I think my problem is not so much carburetor overhaul but more of an carburetor adjustment. I suspect that the lower 2/3s don't get enough fuel or running too lean or something like that. Any help will be appreciated and I hope I don't have to remove the carbs fixing or adjusting this. Thanks!

Attachments

• SeaDoo7.JPG
    SeaDoo7.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sounds like your inner crank seals are leaking oil. Some people switch to the correct API-TC oil and have had leaks stop, some install a shutoff valve. The only permanent solution is a remanufactured crankshaft.

What is the correct API-TC oil? My original manual says 293600004 (now 293600118 or 779120) I have always used that oil religiously. I am not that knowledgeable. Are you saying that the oil/gas mixture is too rich and that's why the smoke on start up or are you saying that because of a possible oil leak from the inner crank seals the doo is sluggish in the lower 2/3 RPMs

From you saying it smokes a lot at startup and fouls plugs I was leaning to inner crank seals.

All Seadoo BRP XPS oil is API-TC rated. Where some people get into trouble is running the totally wrong TCW-3 oils that Yamaha uses.

Do not use starting fluid on these as it can remove the protective oil film from the cylinders.

It sounds more like it is flooding and that is typically caused by a sticking needle and seat.

Back