2002 Seadoo GTX Wake, got spart, got fuel mist at fuel rods, runs ONLY on spray ethe

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

justridingalong

I submerged a stock 2002 Seadoo 155 Wake bike last month. Got it out of the lake right away, drained all water. Removed plugs and cycled all water out, once 100% dry added fogging and lube spray to cylinders thru spark plug hole and added new plugs. Then drained oil, filled with new oil added new oil filter and then started engine for 10 seconds, drained new oil again (slightly cloudy) and refilled with second new oil. New oil now looking great with no cloudy at all.

I let bike sit 1 month and now it only starts with ether.

I removed plugs and checked spark - 100% good. I removed fuel rod and check the 3 nozzles tips, all 3 are misting just fine. But bike will NOT run or start without a squirt of ether. And I am not getting that flooded smell and the plugs are not wet after attempted start. Bike was 100% full of fuel upon submerge and I have not changed fuel as it is still 100% full and there was zero indication of fuel on the water, but I did add 8oz Star Tron blue bottle to the full tank of fuel. Checked all fuses and all OK. Fuel pump fuse is same as starting motor fuse and starter motor is working so fuse must be OK.

Will not pop or start on its own, a squirt of ether and it screams to life for 3 seconds. I do have a garden hose attached and ready but have not turned on any water flow as I was waiting a few seconds of steady run.

Your ideas will be appreciated.

water is heavier than gas so it will settle to the bottom which is where the fuel is picked up in the tank. disconnect the connector at fuel rail(just squeeze and pull, takes 2 seconds) and then put the hose in a glass jar and put the key on which will cycle the fuel pump. inspect the gas, water will again settle to the bottom. it only takes a little bit of water to keep it from running. normally, unless you have a lot of water in the gas, you can just keep cycling it and removing the water until it is pure gas, then reconnect. it will take some cranking to clear the fuel rail and injectors from water so either remove the fuel rail or just continue cranking cycles until it's cleared out.

FYI, seadoo didn't make a WAKE model in 02 so you either have a newer wake model or standard 02 4tec 155 model.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree,, if you see what you THINK is fuel and it still will not run even though you KNOW it will run with fuel squirted in, then I am betting you have bad gas, (aka water).

Run it on an external fuel supply, this will answer the question.

Being a 4-tec, this is not as easy as being carbed. So you may just want to drain the tank and start over.

With 4-tecs, there are many reasons you may not be getting fuel, pump, injectors, TPS, ECM (MPEM) ect ect... But if you KNOW it si misting, then those things are working..

Thanks guys!

We drained the tank, purged the fuel rail and nozzles, added new fuel and it fired right up. Had a bunch of water in a tank that was topped off with fuel before the 5 minute sink, I thought the full tank of gas would keep any water out but not the case.

Thanks again, you were 100% correct.

And you are right again, it is not a 2002 but a 2004 wake 155.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back