1999 GSX RFI 787 Crankseal leaking

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymond 88

Hi , I am bringing a 1999 GSX RFI out of winter storage. Finding quite a bit of oil in the cylinders after starter struggling to turn over engine. Turns over fine with plugs out. Anyone with experience with this issue and recommendations for getting it in the water to see if it is worth moving forward with it. We were going through a bit of oil before she went away and plugs were a bit fouled with oil. Still ran pretty decent though. Bought it late in the year with only 94 hours on it ( so we were told and MPEM read). Changed it over from Amsoil to BRP synthetic. I remember reading on here somewhere that this engine/yr may be prone to the crank seal leaking and getting to much oil in the wrong part of the engine.Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lou. I only had the machine for a couple of the months late last year and it seemed to run pretty good when it was running. I think I will try the valve idea in the engine supply line for now. Am checking around to get some prices from some local guys on rebuilds.When we say rebuilds we mean that the top and bottom end get rebuilt, right. The machine has less then 100 hrs on it.

My 01 GTX RFI done the same thing when brought out of winter storage this year. After asking around and reading on this forum, I decided to go with what someone here recommended, which was putting a line clamp on the supply hose from oil tank to engine. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a little screw clamp set. After looking at it for awhile with my neighbor, and right before I begin installing it my neighbor quips " What happens if the hose splits after clamping a few times ". I thought good point. Now I know the hose is soft and pliable alright, I can pinch it with my fingers and when released snaps right back, but how many times will it do it.

I decided to go with the ball valve myself. I am going to clamp it till end of summer, then do install the valve when winterizing. Really good tips on this forum.

Thanks for the info. I will go with a ball valve to get us going and see where we go from there.
One thing still baffles me. If this oil line to the rotary valve is gravity feed, how does oil get back to the tank through the return line? The oil tank is much higher then the rave valve at the bottom of the engine. My return line always seems to have oil in it.

Thanks for the info. I will go with a ball valve to get us going and see where we go from there.
One thing still baffles me. If this oil line to the rotary valve is gravity feed, how does oil get back to the tank through the return line? The oil tank is much higher then the rave valve at the bottom of the engine. My return line always seems to have oil in it.

The oil will not flow past the return line. There is no circulation of oil but rather a bath

It is not uncommon for this to happen in older skis when sitting all winter. Before you go to the trouble of installing the ball valve get it running and then see if you have the problem again. It could take months for it to leak that much oil and be fine all summer. If it fills up in a couple weeks then the ball valve is needed. If it fills up in only a few days your only option is new crank.

Thank you, thats the direction I was leaning. It burnt a little bit of oil at start up after sitting a few weeks last fall. Nothing like what I seen in the spring though. I had it stored in an unheated shed and am wondering if the cold made the leaking a little worse. Plus the amount of time it sat there to I guess. Right now I have gone a week in between start ups and just a little smoke at start up. Lets hope we can get the summer out of her before we tear it down.
Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back