GTX RFI 787

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ofchilds

1999 GTX RFI 787 NEW OWNER: hey all, i picked up a lemon...i think 🤔 but regardless i have taken this thing under my wing and want to fix it up. it has numerous problems. it did run when i first got it but it would miss fire and eventually when slowly grounding out on a sand bar it was enough to stall the engine and would not start again. i think its water locked right now because it makes a sound but will not turn.
but for the time being on with the other problems, i noticed that the carbon ring does not line up (see picture) when it did run it sounded super rough from the area, previous owner said its just because its not in water ?? anyway, i cant find anything in manual about wether the rings should line up, if they should where is the adjust ment?

Attachments

• IMG_4006.jpeg
    IMG_4006.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4005.jpeg
    IMG_4005.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 10
Take the plugs out, ground the plug wires and roll it over to see if any water comes out of the plug holes, no reason for it to become hydro locked unless you towed it without clamping the line, ran it on the hose without the engine running or it ingested water from rolling it. Load test your battery, these RFI’s need a real good battery, .

Take the plugs out, ground the plug wires and roll it over to see if any water comes out of the plug holes, no reason for it to become hydro locked unless you towed it without clamping the line, ran it on the hose without the engine running or it ingested water from rolling it. Load test your battery, these RFI’s need a real good battery, .
That’s interesting, so I rowed to shore, but the hull had filled with water from a plug being out, and I did connect hose to flush without engine running because I always believed it did harm to run without, I’ve since learned that you can start it and then turn on hose.
From what you’re saying I think it’s got water inside the engine. Plugs are out and battery is in top shape but it’s locked. How would one go about removing the water? Can I connect a compressor and blow into one of the three hoses connect to the head?
I guess I wasn’t aware the water could have any resisting effect to the engine unlike a car or bike engine. What did you think about carbon ring?

That’s interesting, so I rowed to shore, but the hull had filled with water from a plug being out, and I did connect hose to flush without engine running because I always believed it did harm to run without, I’ve since learned that you can start it and then turn on hose.
From what you’re saying I think it’s got water inside the engine. Plugs are out and battery is in top shape but it’s locked. How would one go about removing the water? Can I connect a compressor and blow into one of the three hoses connect to the head?
I guess I wasn’t aware the water could have any resisting effect to the engine unlike a car or bike engine. What did you think about carbon ring?
I agree, it does sound like it has water in the engine, will it not roll over with the plugs out and plug wires grounded? Roll it over for 15 seconds or so, then squirt some injection oil in plug holes and let it sit for a minute then roll over again, once you see no more water coming out, put plugs in and try to start it, it may not start the first time, you may need to take the plugs out and dry them and try again. That’s usually how people get the water out, then it needs to be ran on the lake for a half hour or so.

If it won’t crank over with the plugs out, see if you can turn the engine over by hand at the PTo

It is properly locked! I was about to ask what’s the best way to turn it over manually?
I tried the pto but can’t get a good enough grip on it.

It is properly locked! I was about to ask what’s the best way to turn it over manually?
I tried the pto but can’t get a good enough grip on it.
The pto flywheel, under the plastic cover right behind the engine. With the plugs out, it would not be locked. Does it still have the 2 beeps? Electronics seem ok? Try rolling the engine over at the pto flywheel manually,

I’m not really sure what to tell you, if it had a carb which it doesn’t I would say take the carbs off, get the ski somewhere where you can roll it on it’s side maybe to try and get the water out or maybe if you take the intake off you can get a small tube down into the crank to suck the water out. Before you do that though, take any electrical box covers off you can find and dry them all out, check the voltage while trying to crank the engine over. You need to get the water out as quickly as you can or it’s going to rust and pit internal engine parts. I’ve only seen one where the engine had water in it, it was my brother in laws and we were able to get it out by cranking the engine over with plugs out, so I’m not sure what else to tell you, hopefully someone else has some ideas that will help

Since it stopped when on the sandbar, did you inspect the pump to be sure you did not suck somehting up. The pump could be the reason the engine cannot move.

How much water was in the hull? You said the plug was out. Did the electrical box get covered in water? Was it beeping when you first got it home or had the beeping stopped as soon as the engine stopped working.

Carbon ring looks ok.

Since it stopped when on the sandbar, did you inspect the pump to be sure you did not suck somehting up. The pump could be the reason the engine cannot move.

How much water was in the hull? You said the plug was out. Did the electrical box get covered in water? Was it beeping when you first got it home or had the beeping stopped as soon as the engine stopped working.

Carbon ring looks ok.
It’s locked solid and I can’t be sure if it’s engine or pump.
When you turn it on and insert the lanyard you can hear the fuel pump whirl but no beeps, has red light on dash.
When it flooded, the water came up to just underneath the air box.

DId you look in the pump? Get underneath the ski and look in the intake grate and see if there is anything in there. Or just remove the pump to eliminate it from the equation.

With the plugs out,,,you should be able to rotate the crank if a submerged motor, if not, then either the crank is locked, or a piston is seized.

I know this isn't easy but you could disconnect the pump from engine and see if it will turn over...that will tell you if it is the engine or pump system. Might also see if you can get something and suction out the cylinders, see if there is water in there?

Ok people - i removed the pump and it spins freely - actually looks fairly new with the exceptions of o few dings on the blades. A little bonus find! the speedometer never worked and im hoping it was because it was pinched/crushed between the hull and the skid plate! (see pic)
anyway, i guess that means the crank is locked, i cannot turn it by hand am not sure what is the best way to force it, i see that there are holes on the flywheel that im sure there is a tool for turning, anyone got a trick to do it with out that tool?

Attachments

• IMG_4063.jpeg
    IMG_4063.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4062.jpeg
    IMG_4062.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 4
Ok people - i removed the pump and it spins freely - actually looks fairly new with the exceptions of o few dings on the blades. A little bonus find! the speedometer never worked and im hoping it was because it was pinched/crushed between the hull and the skid plate! (see pic)
anyway, i guess that means the crank is locked, i cannot turn it by hand am not sure what is the best way to force it, i see that there are holes on the flywheel that im sure there is a tool for turning, anyone got a trick to do it with out that tool?
No sense forcing it I don’t believe, you can try, doubt it will cause any damage at this point but I’m thinking may have bent a connecting rod if it was running when it ingested water.

No need to turn the crank,,, just pull the motor,, remove the rear pto, the front flywheel, and then split the motor,,, if the rotary valve gear is not stripped,, leave it in,,
There are enough techs/contributors on here to guide you through the process.

Back