1997 Sea-Doo SPX Issue installing carbs, throttle cable sticking

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

spx1997

1997 Sea-Doo SPX, This issue started after I removed the two carbs and cleaned them and replaced the gray hoses. Got everything hooked back up, but when I bolt the carbs back to the engine the throttle cable sticks. I've replaced the throttle cable since it was a little frayed. The carbs and cable seem to work fine while the carbs are not bolted to the engine, the valves open and close fine with the carb springs. They also work fine when the two carbs are bolted to the engine as long as the carb that has the throttle cable connected to it isn't bolted tight to the engine. When I tighten it up the cable starts sticking. I've unhooked the linkage bar between the two carbs and it still sticks. I've looked numerous times and can't find anything that is hitting the carbs that would cause this issue. Don't know if I'm missing a gasket between the engine and the carbs and it is hitting the little brass oil injector stem. It has one thin paper/ cardboard gasket between the carb and the engine.

It only sticks if the carb is bolted tight against the engine, if it is a little lose it works fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I've removed the carbs and reinstalled them at least 12 times trying to get this working.

Original gasket, still stuck to the engine. Yes it is the carb that is sticking when bolted tight to the engine, with my hand I can open and close it. But the carb springs don't have enough pressure to close it when it is bolted tight. Works fine when not bolted tight.

just a shot in the dark, but I'm curious...I spent a long long time of trial and error trying to install those carb springs after the first time I ever took my carbs off.. Are you sure the springs are installed correctly?

Did you replace the clamps for fuel lines? When I did mine the clamp was touching the shaft for throttle butterfly. Check it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did replace all the clamps, and I didn't remove the springs. Isn't the shaft for the throttle bufferfly inside the carb?

I had this EXACT issue and it stumped me for a day and a half.

Ok, did you replace factory hose clamps with regular worm clamps? I did. What I found was on the MAG carb, the inboard, fwd nipple hose clamp screw head would move along the contour of the bottom of the exhaust header as I tightened the carb into the manifold. This forced the carb slightly downward causing the butterfly valve to rub making the throttle hard and sometimes stick. I used a zip tie instead on that one hose and it worked fine. I have since re-installed the hose clamp but in a manner that the screw head on the clamp does not touch the exhaust header anymore.

I hope this helps you.

*edit* just read you DID replace all the clamps. Check what I suggested above.

Yes I did use worm clamps, I have been focusing on the bottom of the carbs and the throttle linkage. I wouldn't have thought there would be enough wiggle room to allow the carb to be pushed down slightly but it is a tight fit. I will remove the hoses tonight (just to be sure) and bolt it back together. I will let everyone know.

I did the same focusing on the cable at first. Then I loosened the carb mount bolts and it worked great. As soon as I tightened them, hard and sticking throttle. Exactly what you are describing so I hope my post ends up solving the issue for you.

I did replace all the clamps, and I didn't remove the springs. Isn't the shaft for the throttle bufferfly inside the carb?

Yes but the shaft runs completely through carb and too outside. So something from outside CAN interfere with movement. Same thing happened to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spx787 You were correct, the worm clamp on the carb top was pushing down enough to cause the alignment to be off enough that the butterfly valve was rubbing. Things must be extremely close in there. Thanks for your help!!!

Nice! Glad you got it working correctly! I figured there was a good chance that is what was happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back