1994 seadoo spx throttle bogging.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

904Matt

Let me know if there is already a thread on this, i searched but didn't find any that applied directly to my situation.

The ski 94 spx dual carb 657, ran like crap on the water so i rebuilt the carbs.(genuine mikuni reused pop off spring that was in carbs) Timed the motor for good purpose (used timing wheel at 147° per service manual). Checked for air leakes, all seems to be sealed tight.

Now for the issue at hand. if i gradually accelerate from idle to WOT all works fine(on the trailer) if i snap the throttle open it bogs at first then revs out as it should. If kept above half throttle no bogging or delays what so ever.. no tach applied assuming around 2500 out of water 1000ish on water. Idles about 3 miles an hour. Can drive it but i have to slowly pull the choke out as i accelerate (less than half choke any more and it dies) once at perfect amount of choke it will get up on plane and haul *** above 3/8 throttle to wide open.

All new fuel hose( no gray bs, bypassed fuel valve went straight from tank through new filter to carbs) good solid spark, compression 150 mag-145 pto, pop off pressure 28ish lbs both carbs.
Not sure what else to look at any info would be a huge help. This is my first ski and am learning as i go.

If you have to pull the choke then you are lean. Starving for fuel from something. Are you 100% sure you blasted the 3 small pilot holes clean into the carb body?

I will remove them again and double check that, i blasted all the passages with compressed air but didn't with carb clean. Today the machine in question stopped sparking so i have another issue to chase now. Thanks for the direction. And your carb rebuild stickey is the only reason i have got this far.

Did you set your low speed and high speeded adjusters to spec when you rebuilt the carbs. Read the carb adjustment sticky. I thought I saw something about this situation in there.

Did you set your low speed and high speeded adjusters to spec when you rebuilt the carbs. Read the carb adjustment sticky. I thought I saw something about this situation in there.
I believe i set them correct it was low speed 1 1/4 out and high speed closed. I believe my issue to be too high of a pop off pressure or the fuel passages clogged as assessed by miki. I will check my settings thanks for the idea.

I believe i set them correct it was low speed 1 1/4 out and high speed closed. I believe my issue to be too high of a pop off pressure or the fuel passages clogged as assessed by miki. I will check my settings thanks for the idea.
Did you check pop off yet?

Did you check pop off yet?
I did it, has been a couple months since i checked. But if i remember correctly they were both between 29-31 pounds. Unfortunately for me the machine had the rear cylinder crankshaft bearing blow to pieces and the piston hit the spark plug. So now it has to be rebuilt thanks everyone for the info. Next time i redo the carbs i will update this page on my progress thought it will most likely be a few months before that happens. Ps. the spark issue i had encountered was the last inch or so of the spark plugs wires were corroded i trimmed them down to clean metal and everything worked untill the bearing let go.

Back