1997 GTX Project/ Rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harman.alex

Hi All,

Was browsing marketplace and came across what I think is a 1997 GTX. It was abandoned at a rental property, but it was cheap, has no hull damage.

Does anyone have a resource for a service manual?

On my list so far:

Power Wash
Keys Missing (trip to dealer and dess coding)
Compression test
Plugs
Battery
Seat
Sticker removal

Other recommendations on service or check items? New to the PWC world, but not wrenching or boats.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• B2B6773B-7482-43EC-921D-88166FC34F72.jpeg
    B2B6773B-7482-43EC-921D-88166FC34F72.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DDBFF25F-8C2E-4E08-A50F-9B091FD5149E.jpeg
    DDBFF25F-8C2E-4E08-A50F-9B091FD5149E.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 054676F7-453A-41D5-8ED9-7E5D49BF458F.png
    054676F7-453A-41D5-8ED9-7E5D49BF458F.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Compression test first. DO NOT jump start. Remove spark plugs …see if it turns over by hand

Add $2K to the List for a Complete Engine Rebuild, Carb Rebuild Kits, Rave Valve Rebuild Kits, Exhaust Pipe Welsh Plug Repairs, Complete Fuel Hose Replacement, New Oil Lines, New Battery, Pump Cone Oil Change, Pump Alignment Tool, Electrical Parts, Expensive Seadoo Oil, etc.

I believe that is a 1997 GTX. I have a red 1998 GTX limited and a Green 1997 GTX. Look at the last two numbers on the black tag on hull under the grab bar. Go to OSDparts.com and order the Back to OEM carb kit. Get the needle and seat. The fuel filter O ring, the fuel selector valve, Oil filter, Seadoo XPS synthetic oil. Upgrade the rave valves.

Yes, 1997 seadoo GTX, the 1996 was the same color but had pink in the graphics.

Add $2K to the List for a Complete Engine Rebuild, Carb Rebuild Kits, Rave Valve Rebuild Kits, Exhaust Pipe Welsh Plug Repairs, Complete Fuel Hose Replacement, New Oil Lines, New Battery, Pump Cone Oil Change, Pump Alignment Tool, Electrical Parts, Expensive Seadoo Oil, etc.
It was basically free, I don’t mind spending the money to know what I’m starting with, but that’s a very comprehensive list. Appreciate that.

First, pull plugs and see if it turns by hand. If no, then pull motor for rebuild or replace. If it turns by hand, pour some oil in the plug holes and turn to thoroughly lube crank. Put some juice to the starter and blow out the oil, hopefully its not milky. Then put some in new plugs and see if it starts.
If it starts then follow these rules:

1) If it aint broke, dont fix it.
2) If it runs, it aint broke.

My opinion no matter what I would just bite the bullet and pull the motor.if it sat for anytime the crank seals are dry and the rotary valve seal will be shortly after.that motor has already been apart by the looks of it and has a cheap metal core manifold gaskets and the oil injection lines are not seated in the pto housing.if you have some mechanical abilities rebuild it yourself with a manuel.jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back