Project Brother-In-Law: 2000 GTX DI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
More great news, we got rained out 2 weeks ago and had funeral last weekend, so this past weekend we left the Challenger at home and took the GTX the lake for final shake-down before putting it up for sale. It ran beautifully and now has over 10 perfect hours and 110 miles on the rebuilt engine. I feel comfortable selling it now, so as soon as I finish the seat cover I will detail it and sell it.

The GTX seat is 2 pieces. I got the aft one recovered Monday night. Hope to make time this evening to finish the forward section of seat cover and detail the GTX. :)
Sad that it will go up for sale soon, but it feels good to know that I saved it from being parted out. It has served my family well over the years.

The GTX seat is 2 pieces. I got the aft one recovered Monday night. Hope to make time this evening to finish the forward section of seat cover and detail the GTX. :)
Sad that it will go up for sale soon, but it feels good to know that I saved it from being parted out. It has served my family well over the years.

Now it is time for someone else to enjoy it. !

Pics from last weekend:
Project_bil_2000_SeaDoo_GTX-DI (34).jpg

Project_bil_2000_SeaDoo_GTX-DI (35).jpg

Project_bil_2000_SeaDoo_GTX-DI (36).jpg

Project_bil_2000_SeaDoo_GTX-DI (37).jpg

Project_bil_2000_SeaDoo_GTX-DI (38).jpg

Project_bil_2000_SeaDoo_GTX-DI (39).jpg

Finally winterized the GTX yesterday. I have the GTX in a portable garage (steel frame with thick tarp material cover) beside my house. Here in central NC, we get below freezing just enough that winterizing is required. So far I had on old incandescent light bulb burning in the engine compartment to provide enough heat to keep it from freezing, but was paranoid that we would lose power or the bulb would burn out and it would freeze.

Once I figured out the DI winterizing process, it was pretty easy and straight forward. However, I initially got mixed up with the carb model directions in the owners manual... which differ quite a bit from the DI model directions. Also took some trial and error to find some tubing and a funnel the right size for pouring in the antifreeze.

Even with the hickups, I think I could have done it in 30 minutes... had I not dropped both of the nuts while removing the battery. I ended up taking out the seat support so I could fit my hands down in there to retrieve them. Now that I know how it works, I think I could do the job in 15-20 minutes.

An issue I'm having with the battery:
I keep a trickle charger on it. I disconnected the trickle charger and put on the key. Heard the fuel pump run, then hit the start button. It didn't have enough juice to spin the engine over a complete rotation. So, I removed the battery and put it on my auto charger. It showed full charge after about 2 minutes. Disconnected the charger and battery showed about 13.7V. Reinstalled in GTX and got the same behavior as before... put on key, heard fuel pump, pushed start button, the crank rotated about 10 degrees, then back to original position... not enough juice to turn past compression stroke. Checked the battery again... read 11.2V. Odd, huh?
Battery was bought new mid/late summer 2013, so not even a year old. It appears to be full of acid (not dry). Wondering if I have a bad battery.
BTW, when I put the battery-powered jump pack on it the GTX starts and runs.
Sound like a bad battery to y'all?

1. BE CAREFUL w/THAT JUMP PACK. you may end up with a paperweight vs. a very nice ski. Those electronics do not like too much power and can easily FRY.

2. yes the battery is most likely shot, or it's also very cold out... which makes starting require more power and your battery less likely to give it.

1. BE CAREFUL w/THAT JUMP PACK. you may end up with a paperweight vs. a very nice ski. Those electronics do not like too much power and can easily FRY.
Thanks
Yes. I know. It was not plugged in to AC power, just running off of the small battery in the jump pack itself adding a bit of voltage to the GTX battery.

I am happy...no... THRILLED to report that the GTX has been sold.
I tracked every penny that I spent and actually made some money on it, in addition to being an interesting project.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice and support. :)

I am happy...no... THRILLED to report that the GTX has been sold.
I tracked every penny that I spent and actually made some money on it, in addition to being an interesting project.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice and support. :)

Hard to believe you actually made money. Most of us are happy with limited loss.. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back