1997 GTI Exhaust/Overheating problem! Need help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jted112

I recently bought a 1997 GTI with the 717 motor. I noticed a leaky Tune Pipe and replaced that. I got the ski back on the water made it about a mile at idle and my overheat buzzer went off. Towed her home. While I was playing with the engine I noticed my tell tale was not pumping water. I pulled the exhaust manifold (it had a blockage at the 90 fitting). I put the ski back together ran it for about a hour (all speeds). I did not get any buzzer's but the ski definitely overheated. The tune pipe and cone paint turn to a golden color. I'm sure that's not good. There was a small pop and I shut the ski down. There was smoke coming from the pipe section. I have mechanical knowledge just don't know a whole lot about a seadoo workings. Can anyone offer some help on this one it would be much appreciated! Thanks Jon

Repost this in the 2 stroke section for a quicker answer. This is more of a Hi, I have a blah blah seadoo. Love to fix it blah blah section.

I'm still new to this hobby and have not run into that problem. But, if I were to guess, you still had a blockage somewhere. The pop sounds bad, no expert here, but maybe something internal to the pipe broke like a baffle or look around the tail pipe (soft rubber part going from hull to waterbox) under the seat at the back of the water box. Maybe it swelled and popped. Worst case senario, a piston seized and the rod went through it, but let's hope not.
I think I would pull the cooling pipes on both sides of the head and try to get water to pass through. if that worked, then you can bet its stopped up in the mainfold or the waterbox. See if it will crank on the trailer. If it does and nothing sounds crazy for a few seconds, then shut her off. If it was ok, then you may be lucky. Pipes are cheaper than engines. Then I would look at taking the exhaust system apart to try to find the problem.

Again, I am not an expert with these so wait to see what others say.

Hope it turns out well

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back