1996 XP Cosmetic Modifications

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

macjac16

Hey! I'm new to the SeaDoo Forum and am currently doing some cosmetic touch-ups. I have a 1996 SeaDoo XP. I've already taken the pink decals off because I thought that they were kind of ugly. Also, I have taken the handlebar cover off and I've painted the handlebars
black. I put a bar across the handlebars and put some padding to keep from losing some front teeth. I am thinking about getting new traction mats and grips. What have y'all done to make your xp's look better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stripped the stickers, buffed the ski, new black tip mats, painted the original hood black / gauge pod cover silver before I got my carbon fiber hood, renthal bars, and had some decals made up. I've got a hump seat also that I going to get a Jet Trim seat cover for. Best bang for your buck is getting a single gauge hood and painting it.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 135
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 134
agree on single gauge hood, much better look IMO.

wet sand the whole ski and make it as shiny as possible... and kudo's on removing pink stickers... blah...

traction mats.. yes.... here's my buddies.. he went overboard with custom stickers and mats in the footwell too :)

1.jpg

engine paint, yes. here's a buddy's

1.jpg

here's my engine paint (waterbox painted too)

208.jpg

1.jpg

you could get a little fancy painting the hood...

1.jpg

past that... new grips, new seat cover, new digital tach, stickers, flame arrestors ?

i find nozzles sexy as well :)

Also, I have some scratches on the front that go through the gel coat. What are some ways that I can do to fix that?

Yeah. I was thinking some flames or maybe some skull and crossbones.:thumbsup:

nothing wrong with a well placed sticker :)[/QUOTE]

one little $15 upgrade I forgot... billet fuel selector switch :)

1.jpg

oh.. and ps... don't do the colored fuel lines, they don't hold up

Last edited by a moderator:
Single gauge hood looks so much better, looks sleeker, Had it painted, I stole minnetonkas design. Personaly I dont like umi bars so i modded a 2000 gtx handle bar cover, Custom decals, put on rxp grips with a little modification, Jet trim seat, Overall I think it turned out great. I also got a hump style seat. I think this one is a 95 800 xp seat, Also bought a 99 spx seat from tonka. i also put 2 toned hydroturf on, black grey

Attachments

• jamies 1.jpg
    jamies 1.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 125
  • jamies 2.jpg
    jamies 2.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 110
  • jamies 3.jpg
    jamies 3.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 109
  • jamies 4.jpg
    jamies 4.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 102
Single gauge hood looks so much better, looks sleeker, Had it painted, I stole minnetonkas design. Personaly I dont like umi bars so i modded a 2000 gtx handle bar cover, Custom decals, put on rxp grips with a little modification, Jet trim seat, Overall I think it turned out great. I also got a hump style seat. I think this one is a 95 800 xp seat, Also bought a 99 spx seat from tonka. i also put 2 toned hydroturf on, black grey

very nice !

Okay I have a few questions.

Someone mentioned that they removed the handle bar padding and added a cross bar... Where did you get the cross bar?

As for the double hump seat did you have to buy a new seat or is it just a matter of extra padding. Seems like i remember seeing in another thread that you can buy the specific seat cover and it comes with the padding installed. If not is it possible to add the padding to a stock seat?

Where are you all getting these 1 pod gauge clusters? are there any other styles available.

My last thought is this.. Has anyone thought about relocating their choke under their seat. Since im doing away with my oil tank I thought about putting it in the same spot. Im a car guy and have always been the type who wants to shave everything I could. So I thought about shaving the stock choke location and relocating under the seat. I would relocate the lanyard and shave that as well if I could.

Great mods by the way.

Someone mentioned that they removed the handle bar padding and added a cross bar... Where did you get the cross bar?

1. Take off the padding
2. Rewire the beeper to fit inside the front compartment
3. Take of the vts/start-stop housing, throttle and grips
4 Take any nuts and bolts necessary to get the handle off
5. Once you have the bare handle, weld a 1/2 inch steel bar across it
6. Grind the welds smooth
7. Prime and paint the handlebar and other parts
8. Reassemble everything
:hurray:

1. Take off the padding
2. Rewire the beeper to fit inside the front compartment
3. Take of the vts/start-stop housing, throttle and grips
4 Take any nuts and bolts necessary to get the handle off
5. Once you have the bare handle, weld a 1/2 inch steel bar across it
6. Grind the welds smooth
7. Prime and paint the handlebar and other parts
8. Reassemble everything
:hurray:

LOL okay I thought there was a bolt on bar or something... a welding we will go

Okay I have a few questions.

mine is not welded, the cross bar came with the bars.. i'll ask about that & get back at ya or take a detailed pic..... not sure how you'd go about finding a bolt on crossbar, but if you have the welding equipment, well then that's pretty easy....

As for the double hump seat did you have to buy a new seat or is it just a matter of extra padding. Seems like i remember seeing in another thread that you can buy the specific seat cover and it comes with the padding installed. If not is it possible to add the padding to a stock seat?

Where are you all getting these 1 pod gauge clusters? are there any other styles available.

u mean the single gauge hood ? they came off some of the older seadoo's, i have a list somewhere, or I can get it :) if thats what you mean then you just have to find one... i paid like $35 for mine, and spray painted it...Krylon, but i've seen prices as high as $80, i plan on repainting mine sometime this fall, or if/when I find another hood, just haven't come up with a design yet, i'm tired of the basic black :)

My last thought is this.. Has anyone thought about relocating their choke under their seat. Since im doing away with my oil tank I thought about putting it in the same spot. Im a car guy and have always been the type who wants to shave everything I could. So I thought about shaving the stock choke location and relocating under the seat. I would relocate the lanyard and shave that as well if I could.

no, that's never occurred to me,, i see no reason to move it.. and the lanyard kind of needs to stay on the dash as well, since its a safety lanyard, needs to be able to pop off when you fall off..

Great mods by the way.

ps.. macjac... i rode a friends ski today to try & help isolate a problem.. he had odi x-tremes,, I hated them... ! thought they were skinny & slippery, i did NOT get a good grip with them, thought I disliked my rogues, but after trying out the xtreme's i'm glad i bought rogue's, just thought i'd bring that up.

You can go on ebay and get a used set of 7/8" motocross bars.

Search names like Renthal and Pro Taper.

LOL okay I thought there was a bolt on bar or something... a welding we will go

I think you can find bolt on bars. Just do an internet search for them but macjac and splitstream are impatient buggers and needed it done yesterday so we just welded it. Looks good! :thumbsup:

Love that seat. I'll probably have my hump seat done like that except yellow where yours is white.

Love that seat. I'll probably have my hump seat done like that except yellow where yours is white.

The jettrim seat is nice, the top is black medium slip and the sides are white regular vinyl. I would recommend get the carbon fiber on the sides my friend got it and it looks great, i also have a friend who has the yellow on the sides and i think 96xp has soooooo much yellow already that it looks funny.

Single gauge hood. UMI steering. Jettrim seat. Traction mats. No decals. Thats of course my preference.

DSC_6378.jpg

That is sweet trm. Looks like your TTO trail Tech's are just hanging? I like clear adhesive, it hold and comes back off clean. Anyway looks like your also a believer in my theory: why build one when you could build two for twice the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back