1996 seadoo xp wont go up to full power

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

condo180

ok so this has been an ongoing problem with my seadoo xp.. last year i took the ski out once it ran perfect but took a little bit of water do to an un knoiwn leak... the next time i took it out it would not go up to full throttle.... so i took it to the dealer and they got it working so that there was just a minor hesitation in the throttle... the very next time i took it out after testing it from the dealer i was back to where i started... this year i decided that rather than mess with the carbs again i would gamble and buy a used pre cleaned set... i also change all the fuel lines, emptied out the fuel tank and removed it and cleaned it so it was immaculate.. so i got them they looked great and it turns out they ran great as well. the ski ran the best it has ever ran for the entire hour i took it out. then two days later when i went to take it out again it went right up to half throttle from the dock.. then it dropped right down to next to nothing.. it would only idle and when i went to give it gad it would just bog and not go up... but then every so often it would catch and take right off for a couple seconds.. then right back down to nothing...

i need help! i'm all out of ideas lol
the last things i think it could possible be are a ground wire of some sort that may be loose or corroded (obviously a far fetched idea)
the fact that i am running premixed fuel
maybe inline fuel filter... but i doubt it because the fuel should be immaculate due to the fact that there is nothing in the tank..

and thats all i got.. any one with any ideas!!??!?!?!?!? thanks in advance!

the carbs you bought, did you check to make sure the settings and the jets, were the same size as the carbs came from ski?

Do you still have the grey fuel lines?

Is your RAVES cleaned?

If all above is "yes", then disconnect the red wire from rectifier, then go try again.

yeah i checked the carbs.. they were from the exact same engine and i double checked all the settings they were spot on.. as for the raves... i havent cleaned them yet... and i removed all the grey fuel line because i heard that over time it broke down..

ok so far i'm gonna clean the raves and put new plugs in.... is there anything else under the sun that you can think of lol i've been messing with this for 15 months now and i'm going to do everything i can possibly think of.. cost prohibitive of course haha

A couple of thoughts. When you replaced the gray fuel lines did you clean the fuel switch? This has been known to really clog. Does it act up in both the on and reserve position? Or just one. Have you cleaned your fuel filter? Did you make sure the o-ring was good and did not pinch?

It sure sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

One more thought are you sure you have the vent and return line connected correctly both at the fuel baffle and out the side?

Condo, I had the same thing happen to me today. I put my '96 SPX in the water for the first time this season and it started doing very simliar to what you are talking about. Then I found this threadfrom JPX http://seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=5563 and it was doing exactly what he described. Now I am going to replace the gray fuel lines and such. I just put new plugs and a new battery in today.

I am no mechanic but am willing to do what it takes to get this ski back in shape. Does anyone have a pic "How to" for checking your RAVES valve?

peirek- i'm 99% positive that all the lines are correct beacause i only removed one at a time lol so unless i really screwed something up they are all where they are susposed to be.. as for the fuel switch i replaced that last year because it had frozen up on me over the previous winter... so i doubt it has anything in it... i will surely check it out though.. it definately wont hurt..

also when i first took the ski out i only ran it in the reserve position... but when i took it out the second time i did put it in the on position.. but when it stopped working i turned it to the reserve spot and gave it a try but still got the same results.. i know it sounds exactly like a fuel delivery problem and thats what's got me puzzled... i've removed every possible source of contamination from the entire fuel system prior to te carb.. there is no way that they should get that clogged after just an hour of riding... thus is why i'm stumped....

It may be possible that it ran great on res then when you switched to on you sucked som debris into the filters on the carb.

i'm going to take the carbs off tonight... is it possible that i caould just get away with cleaning the filters or is it necesary to go through it all.. they were just cleaned imaculate the night before the first ride.. so within a week

thanks

Please let us know...

.. if that helps. Got same problem with my xp. And I did exactly same what you did step by step and still no joy. Good luck

ok guys heres the update...
so this morning i removed the carbs and cleaned them tediously.. i found about a tablespoon of sand in them... i have absolutely no idea how sand got in there... ay ideas? could it have been from a mistake flushing it out after riding? (i dont think i made one but at this point the options are endless)

ok so after i cleaned the carbs i went out on the lake behind my house.. the rid went as follows......
first 5 minutes- outting around because its bogging and wont pick up..
next 10- runs perfect.. for no reason at all it just picked upo like nothing and ran exceptional.. had full throttle range and everything..
next fifteen- same as first 5...

so i pulled into the dock and disconnected the red wire from the recitifier as previously suggested... it ran great!...... for 5 minutes... then it kicked down again... then five min later it picks up and ios good for a half hour until i make a quick turn in shallow water ( about 2 to 3 feet) and it goes back down and stays there for the rest of my day....

i';m thinking it might have something to do with the rave valves.. i will clean them tonight... also could anyone please inform me what disconnecting the red wire does? and what it tells me?

guys thanks alot for all the help... its greatly appreciated.. and btw... i didnt clean the selector valve because its brand new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back