05 SeaDoo Speedster 200 One Engine Revs but does nowhere - Please Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

makaveli

Hi Everyone,

05 Speedster 200 (Supercharged Twin Engine). My Right side engine revs up and will barely move the boat as of today. It will rev ALL the way up with normal throttle. Also I see a bit of oil coming from an area shown in photos. Any suggestions? I know essentially nothing about jet boats (other than I likely shouldn't have bought a 2nd hand one). I'm not sure where to look for any red flags. The boat is in the water as I didn't want to go back across the lake with one bum engine.

Thanks so much,
Mak
33499318_1906891312676134_3366292605217275904_n.jpg33607955_1906891292676136_2257630210314731520_n.jpg

Have you looked at the jet pump on the right engine. It's entirely possible you may have sucked something into the impeller and that will need to be cleared out. The smallest obstruction in a jet pump will cause the symptoms you mention.

As for the oil in that location that is a oil filter cap, it may need to be tightened slightly or possibly an O-ring replaced, that's a very minor issue. If it does need tightened you do not want to over tighten it!

I'm not sure how to go about reviewing the jet pump tbh. I stuck my hand in as far is it would go. Is it possible to do so with it in the water?

also: Thank you so much!

I'm not sure how to go about reviewing the jet pump tbh. I stuck my hand in as far is it would go. Is it possible to do so with it in the water?

also: Thank you so much!

I don't think you're going to have any luck attempting to find the problem in the water. Anytime I've had debris in my jet pump it's been on the intake side and it's extremely difficult to get to unless the boat is out of the water and you have a very long needle nose pliers. I have found the debris tends to get caught between the impeller and the wear ring wedging itself in there the thus needing the boat removed from the water.

Your best bet is to motor home on the motor that's working. But keep the speed very low 10 miles per hour or less. If you go much faster you can risk water entering the non-running motor.

Ok thank you! The engine does run "fine" but its got no proper thrust. Perhaps a coat hanger is worth a shot?

Yes perhaps that will work it just depends what has gotten caught in the pump. If you are in a area with lots of seaweed it is possible that some of it has clumped up underneath on the intake grate. That's about the only thing you can easily remove. With the boat off try to reach under and feel where the intake grates are located making sure there's no seaweed or other items covering the grate themselves. If you feel nothing there it's likely caught in the impeller itself.

Sometimes things like this can get frustrating especially with a boat new to you... These minor issues will outweigh the fun you will have!

Back to the oil leak, look on YouTube for how to change oil on a Sea Doo 4tec. This will give you a really good idea on whats going on there and what's under the cap (an oil filter). I think they have changed the design on the cap/bolt slightly from the 04/05 years, don't quote me on that... Someone may chime in one this but it's a small worry but I would take care of it if it were me.

gb - Thank you again! You have no idea how much i appreciate your time on this. I had hoped & assumed that oil buildup was just the (non-canister style oil filter w/e they're called if that) so that is essentially today's best news. I gave the coat hanger a go and nothing. As expected if I'm honest. But it was worth a shot! Ran the button next to the driver's seat that claims it clears out w/e its supposed to clear out. I'm wondering now if there is some significance to that button not "working like it used to" but I'm not going to get into that assumption just yet here. Keeping in mind that the boat is in the water, is there any way i can sort out the grates you're speaking of by hand? The Red Circle between 10 & 11 in the supplied photo shows where i attempted the coat hanger declogging. Where are the grates I'm looking for going to be? And the real question that is likely going to matter ~ What would be a reasonable price for a boat repair shop to just sort this out for me?07_200_SPEEDSTER_ACTION.jpg

OK - SO after taking it out the water (still amazed I got it out on my beach), I found this article of wood shown below. The pathetic quality screws for the (intake grate?) skid plate for the jet prop ordeal were rough to remove. 3/6 Needed pressure and 2 stripped at the head. I sawzalled one off. Now, I still havn't completely gotten the skid plate ordeal off (its hanging by one junk screw) but my driveshaft should turn freely easily by hand or no? I can't move it at all but I'm at a really sad angle. I assume there is more debris in there. I wanted t check with you guys 1st. Thank you again, gentlemen!!33817061_1910809092284356_5171105749249556480_n.jpg

Your boat has a "weedless" system. The intake grates are hinged and when you push the button, the grates move out of the way so you can reach your hand into there to get the debris out.
BTW, that piece is all it takes to lose all thrust.
Chester

I haven’t touched the intake grates. Apparently what I’m talking about is the ride something - SKID PLATE FOR DRIVESHAFT & propeller. Should I be able to move my drive shaft easily by hand?

No, the drive shaft is permanently engaged. It will not turn by hand. Just pull the jet pump off and you will be able to remove any obstructions. It's easier to remove than you may think.

I had the same problem with leaky oil last year. The previous owner did not line up the oil filter correctly and cranked down the oil filter cover. He crushed the filter, but there was enough space to cause a leak. I saw the leak and cranked it down more. It wasn’t until this spring when I did oil changes, I realized what happened. This is what happened to the filter:

Attachments

• 86FA0F4F-693C-40AB-9812-6BB2188CDEB0.jpeg
    86FA0F4F-693C-40AB-9812-6BB2188CDEB0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 713BD48F-0220-4FE1-98F2-5E24993D5717.jpeg
    713BD48F-0220-4FE1-98F2-5E24993D5717.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
You guys ROCK! THANK you! Never again with the "Ride Plate" but since its removed as of now & two bolts need to be replaced -- Do i need to reseal the plate on or just bolt it up? If I don't put the 2 additional bolts in for the time being will it leak if Its in use?

I had the same problem with leaky oil last year. The previous owner did not line up the oil filter correctly and cranked down the oil filter cover. He crushed the filter, but there was enough space to cause a leak. I saw the leak and cranked it down more. It wasn’t until this spring when I did oil changes, I realized what happened. This is what happened to the filter:

I highly doubt the filter wasn't installed properly. Water in the oil will cause that, or a stuck pressure relief valve. I've seen that many times.

Chester

You guys ROCK! THANK you! Never again with the "Ride Plate" but since its removed as of now & two bolts need to be replaced -- Do i need to reseal the plate on or just bolt it up? If I don't put the 2 additional bolts in for the time being will it leak if Its in use?

Seal it properly as per the instructions in the manual.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back