Winterizing --- tips for the trailer?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is probably going to be my last weekend on the river. Indian summer is giving us a nice weekend coming up, but frost will soon be coming.

I feel comfortable in the winterization procedure for my boat (this is my first winter with it), been studying the manual.

But what about the trailer?

Obviously I want to give it a good washing. I worry about the hubs and brakes. I installed a brake kit over the summer (so glad I did). The hubs and disks are one unit. I see a but of rust form on them during the week, so I am afraid they will get way rusty over the winter. Would it be OK to give them a coating of WD-40?

Anything need to be done to the master cylinder? I was just going to top it off and tighten the cap real good. I don't think brake fluid can freeze.

Tires? Brand new this year also. Come to think of it, I spent more on trailer repairs when I bought it than on the boat itself. Fill them up? Let some air out? I dont know. I have jack stands and will ask the lot where I put it if I can out it up on them. Ideas?

I wouldn't put WD40 on the brake pads, it'll make them slip..oil and brakes don't mix.
I park on the grass during the winter and do nothing to the trailer.
If parking on solid surface you could put a block under the axle just to take the weight off a bit. Still let the tire rest on the ground some. but you probably don't have to.
I put some tire shine on the tires a few times a year...similar to armorall. Helps to protect from the sun beating on it all year. Some people cover the tires to block the rays.
Make sure the hubs are lubed..bearing buddies are good.

I wasnt going to spray the pads, but I worry the discs will rust.
Should be parked on grass or gravel, not asphalt.
Not bearing buddies but Kodiak Red Eyes (same thing). All new grease when I replaced the hubs in July. Will pump them up again.
Good call on the tires. The tire that came on the trailer had about 99% tread but were dry-rotted on the sidewalls.

Two things, I'm not sure about armor-all, but tire shine, while it makes the tires look good, is actually kerosene based and is not good for tires. I would prefer to park on concrete or a least a paved surface, if you park on grass or dirt you are going to be sitting on moisture and the tires won't breathe. Ideally jack the trailer up and put concrete blocks under the axle, that's what we do with old Camero's in Kentucky.

I wouldn't worry about the brake discs they're cast iron and will get surface rust, it will come off the first time you use the trailer.

Lou

I agree about the rust on the discs, the first time you use the brakes it scrubs it off. I put it on jack stands to keep the tires from getting flat spots.

I agree about the rust on the discs, the first time you use the brakes it scrubs it off. I put it on jack stands to keep the tires from getting flat spots.

I've seen your house, don't be puttin on airs just cause you're form N. KY, I know you got a 76 Camero on concrete blocks in your front yard.

Lou

I've seen your house, don't be puttin on airs just cause you're form N. KY, I know you got a 76 Camero on concrete blocks in your front yard.

Lou

Its in the back yard with weeds growing through it. The kids use it to play on.

Take the pads out and put in a small block of wood the same thickness and a close size.Cut them out with a Jigsaw.Coat the disc with whatever grease or spray you have.It HAS to cleaned at the beginning of next season.Spotless..Pads can fuse to a disc in the worse scenerio.
For the jack stands.Put a good size piece of timber under them and the stands go on them,so they don't sink.Raise it enough to be able to spin the wheels.Every time you walk past it over the off season,give them a spin.
Take the little valve out of the valve stem and put the caps back on.The little valves have rubber in them that can stuff up.Obviously the tyres will be deflated and thats means the rubber is not stretched and will help stop cracking.Cover the tyres with whatever so the sun can't get to them.
Spray the springs and shackles with a spray on grease/oil.Also the coupling.Wrap the coupling in a bag.
Spray the electrical coupling with protectant and wrap it also.
All this might take 2 hours max. Hope this helps

There are lots of things one need to consider for winterizing of the trailer, as it should be coated an anticorrosive solution, kept it in warm place etc, it helps you to keep your trailer in best shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back