Acceleration issue/bogging 2000 GTX RFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Vader00

Hello guys, I have a 2000 seadoo bomba millenium edition Rotax Fuel injection that starts fine on trailer and will rev fine on trailer but when It’s on the water it starts just fine but will not take off it has no acceleration the rpm stays low as well it’s not revving high it just bogs.i also checked compression and compression is good in both cylinders. Any ideas on what to check and what to be looking is greatly appreciated. I will add videos of it running off water this weekend if weather allows it.

Attachments

• IMG_1467.jpeg
    IMG_1467.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1465.jpeg
    IMG_1465.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1461.jpeg
    IMG_1461.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1460.jpeg
    IMG_1460.jpeg
    415.1 KB · Views: 12
What are the compression numbers? Did you replace the spark plugs (one might be surprised and how often this solves problems). Is the battery up to full voltage and in good condition? Are you getting spark to both cylinders? Try these.

Spark Testor.jpg

What are the compression numbers? Did you replace the spark plugs (one might be surprised and how often this solves problems). Is the battery up to full voltage and in good condition? Are you getting spark to both cylinders? Try these.

View attachment 64705Compression numbers are 130 and 150 yes I changed spark plugs and yes to spark in both cylinders

It is a process but you have much to check. Here are a couple more. Is the check valve from the crank case to the rave solenoid functioning. Test the raves with low pressure to make sure they are opening and holding reasonably well. Check fuel pressure. I'd send the fuel injectors out for cleaning. Do all the component checks for the sensors per repair manual. Plug #4. Unplug the rectifier.

It is a process but you have much to check. Here are a couple more. Is the check valve from the crank case to the rave solenoid functioning. Test the raves with low pressure to make sure they are opening and holding reasonably well. Check fuel pressure. I'd send the fuel injectors out for cleaning. Do all the component checks for the sensors per repair manual. Plug #4. Unplug the rectifier.
As soon as the shops warms up a bit I’ll do everything and I will report back with an update thanks all

OK first thing disregard RAVE valve comments as they only apply when throttle is 70% or greater. A rave valve not rising reduces the top RPM of the engine but does not hamper low end as you are describing especially out of water.

Since you have a DI, this add two component which need to be checked. The first is fuel pump pressure. However, this is not as easy as a vehicle as a DI has two pressures. 25 Psi at idle and 118 to 120 at full throttle. In order to test the fuel rail, you will need to either make or buy a test rig. I chose to buy it as did not want to waste time with finding the correct fittings. Here is my suggestion (I make NOTHING on this suggestion. I have just used this product and it worked.): fuel pressure test rig

Once you are able to verify that fuel pressure at idle and at full throttle is up to spec. The next thing to check is the air compressor. I suggest the following rig as well. FYI, Air compressor rig: DI air pressure Tee fitting. Please watch this on how to use:
. This video will allow you to monitor and inject air into the fuel rail. If this air compressor is worn OR there are leaks, this can lead to lower air pressure and result in your behavior. In my experience, the only other situation would be a failure or leakage of air from the Air Injector 275500512. The carbon ring on the air injectors can start to leak air and result in lower air injection but this is long shot.

The final rare situation is the fuel injectors. However in my opinion, these either work or do not. So, this is worst case and last explanation, as such I would rather spend time looking at fuel pressure or air pressure leaks. NOTE: air pressure leaks from RAVE Valves if sever enough could cause this issue. however, I would have expected you to say something about loud air noises. But for clarifications, please verify with soap and water all of the air hoses. See: Sea-Doo 2001 GTX DI 5529 OEM Parts Diagram for Air Intake System | Partzilla.com

With all this said, I would start first at the fuel pump, verify fuel pressure, and then move to air.

Later.

OK first thing disregard RAVE valve comments as they only apply when throttle is 70% or greater. A rave valve not rising reduces the top RPM of the engine but does not hamper low end as you are describing especially out of water.

Since you have a DI, this add two component which need to be checked. The first is fuel pump pressure. However, this is not as easy as a vehicle as a DI has two pressures. 25 Psi at idle and 118 to 120 at full throttle. In order to test the fuel rail, you will need to either make or buy a test rig. I chose to buy it as did not want to waste time with finding the correct fittings. Here is my suggestion (I make NOTHING on this suggestion. I have just used this product and it worked.): fuel pressure test rig

Once you are able to verify that fuel pressure at idle and at full throttle is up to spec. The next thing to check is the air compressor. I suggest the following rig as well. FYI, Air compressor rig: DI air pressure Tee fitting. Please watch this on how to use:
. This video will allow you to monitor and inject air into the fuel rail. If this air compressor is worn OR there are leaks, this can lead to lower air pressure and result in your behavior. In my experience, the only other situation would be a failure or leakage of air from the Air Injector 275500512. The carbon ring on the air injectors can start to leak air and result in lower air injection but this is long shot.

The final rare situation is the fuel injectors. However in my opinion, these either work or do not. So, this is worst case and last explanation, as such I would rather spend time looking at fuel pressure or air pressure leaks. NOTE: air pressure leaks from RAVE Valves if sever enough could cause this issue. however, I would have expected you to say something about loud air noises. But for clarifications, please verify with soap and water all of the air hoses. See: Sea-Doo 2001 GTX DI 5529 OEM Parts Diagram for Air Intake System | Partzilla.com

With all this said, I would start first at the fuel pump, verify fuel pressure, and then move to air.

Later.
Pretty sure it’s an RFI

All of the 2000-2002 Sea-Doo GTX 951 Millennium (Rotax 947) are 951 engines. I did find the product numbers showing both carb and DI versions. Since he did not specify carb model or show pictures. I am assuming the 915 DI engine.
There’s RFI’s, DI’s and carbed Pretty sure this is a 787 RFI

He says very specifically Millennium Edition. the 2000-2002 Sea-Doo GTX 951 Millennium are 947 engines. If you he had stated 2000 Sea-doo RFI, you would be correct. That is a 787. But the title is "2000 seadoo bomba millenium edition Rotax Fuel injection" which means 947 DI.
My mistake then

He says very specifically Millennium Edition. the 2000-2002 Sea-Doo GTX 951 Millennium are 947 engines. If you he had stated 2000 Sea-doo RFI, you would be correct. That is a 787. But the title is "2000 seadoo bomba millenium edition Rotax Fuel injection" which means 947 DI.
No, that is wrong.
Rotax Fuel Injection is a RFI ski and is what the OP posted in his picture. RFI is not Direct Injection, it is a fuel injected 787.
If it was a DI the GTX sticker below the seat would say Direct Fuel Injection, DI which this particular ski is not.

Later.
Thank you for all this information I’m definitely going to follow this advice. Ps for everyone wondering it’s a 951cc engine pretty sure it’s fuel injected. I know nothing though so take what I say with a grain of salt I know the engine is 951cc though for sure.

Thank you for all this information I’m definitely going to follow this advice. Ps for everyone wondering it’s a 951cc engine pretty sure it’s fuel injected. I know nothing though so take what I say with a grain of salt I know the engine is 951cc though for sure.
I think you should post a picture of the engine. It does say RFI on the machine and there are no 951 RFI’s to my knowledge anyways.

Haven’t checked anything since out in shop for winter yet. Winter storm hit and has been too cold to go in shop. I appreciated all the information and will post updates when I get a chance

I think you should post a picture of the engine. It does say RFI on the machine and there are no 951 RFI’s to my knowledge anyways
I think you should post a picture of the engine. It does say RFI on the machine and there are no 951 RFI’s to my knowledge anyways.
okay I will also post a picture of the engine I thought I had one laying around on my phone but I don’t. I’ll be sure to take a picture. Im not 100 percent sure. I will get some work done on it Friday

Last edited:
Okay I’ll post a picture of the engine

okay I will also post a picture of the engine I thought I had one laying around on my phone but I don’t. I’ll be sure to take a picture. Im not 100 percent sure
I sometimes find a picture I want in my text message large attachments when I’m trying to free up some storage on my phone

If the picture in your first post is of the ski that you are working on then it is a GTX RFI 787 and not a 951DI.
There are two of the identical skis across the street from my driveway and I have personally worked on both of them.

If your seat decal says this.....
RFI.jpeg

It is a RFI 787 RFI is literally Rotax Fuel Injection.

If it says GTX Rotax Direct Fuel Injection under the seat like this....
DI.jpg

It is a 951/947 Direct Injection.

Also the DI skis did not come in your colors above, it would have been Viper red or Mazatlan Blue in the 2000-2001 ish years.

BTW: Yours is a 787 RFI.

IMG_1466 (1).jpeg

Engines...
787 RFI
RFI.jpg

951 DI
die.jpg

Attachments

• RFI.jpeg
    RFI.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
If the picture in your first post is of the ski that you are working on then it is a GTX RFI 787 and not a 951DI.
There are two of the identical skis across the street from my driveway and I have personally worked on both of them.

If your seat decal says this.....
View attachment 64735

It is a RFI 787 RFI is literally Rotax Fuel Injection.

If it says GTX Rotax Direct Fuel Injection under the seat like this....
View attachment 64736

It is a 951/947 Direct Injection.

Also the DI skis did not come in your colors above, it would have been Viper red or Mazatlan Blue in the 2000-2001 ish years.

BTW: Yours is a 787 RFI.

View attachment 64737

Engines...
787 RFI
View attachment 64739

951 DI
View attachment 64740
Yes the engine is the exact same as the one you said it was. Thank you for your knowledge didn’t even have to look under the seat.

I stand corrected by mikidymac. He is correct. Plus the pictures you put up are a 787 engine and not a 951. so please disregard my post as those directions do not apply.

Back