Winterizing in the Southeast

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

smilingprof

I live in Louisiana so it can get below freezing here every once in awhile. I was wondering what people in the southeast do to winterize their boats? I really do not want to go to a dealer to winterize it because I need to use my boat throughout the winter, maybe not every weekend, but sometimes because I have a weekend place on the water that is only accessible by boat. Any suggestions keeping in mind that I am a female and am not very mechanical.

Thanks,

Teri

Good question. I'm kinda in the same boat. I keep mine in the garage, and they are both 4 stroke.. I bump the starter on them about once every two weeks. Also was thinking about getting a heating blanket to put under the seats, set on low if it got real cold. I use to do that in Wyoming when I was younger, and if worked well enough. If your going to use yours over the winter like me I dont see the point of winterizing, but I could be wrong.

Heat lamp

Last year on really cold nights I put a heat lamp in the engine compartment and covered things with a big quilt. I was just looking to see what others did. Thanks for your input.

Teri, You should list your seadoo model and year in your avatar, for better advise. If it is an older 2 stroke you could us a bulb in the engine compartment, being careful not to cause a fire. You might want to leave the engine hatch open a bit for ventilation. Be sure it is towards the rear of the engine and leave the inside tray out. If you use a "rough service" bulb it will last a bit longer and won't break if you bump it by accident. You could get one from walmarts or like Auto Zone too. I also recommend you spray everything down with silicone too. It isn't flamable and will protect your wiring connecions.
If you want you could look at the links in my signature on winterizing to give you more insight as to what could be done or what to look at to prevent freezing problems. If you still need some more advise let us know.

Karl

That engine only has water in the exhaust system because it has a inter looping cooling system. The bulb should be fine on those cold nights.

Karl

Much appreciated

Karl,

I am very grateful for your assistance. I really don't know any of this stuff. I know how to launch and drive a boat to get to my camp but other than that I am learning very slowly. Thank you again for your prompt response.

Keep warm.

Teri

Uh...Teri, I live in S.W. Florida... it's always warm here...today 79* water temp is 74*.

Karl

Put a thermometer in the garage where you keep it. If it's (the garage) attached, I'll bet it never gets below about 45. I keep mine in the garage and only add some fuel additive. I live north of Atlanta. Even on those few days first of the year when it was in the 20's, the garage never got below 45. It is 38 here this morning, and the thermometer in my truck next to my ski says 58.

Back