2010 Challenger Port Engine will not start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

weave

I have 2010 SEA-DOO 210 CHALLENGER SE 310 and the port engine will not start. The dash is not showing the hours and there are a pile of codes. It did this last year, out of the blue and when I removed and reconnected the port ECU it came to life and all was well the rest of the season. Fast forward to last winter and it played hell with me and nothing I did seemed to "fix it" when all of a sudden it just lit up on the dash and I was able to winterize the engines. Fast forward to today, here we are again....port engine is not communicating.

New battery, have wiggled every harness I can find, have checked all the fuses I know how to check, I even swapped the starboard and port ECUs and the issue stayed on the port engine. I also happen to have a brand new gauge cluster and swapped that in, nope same thing.

Could it be a bad ECU or am I dealing with a loose connection, bad ground, or corroded wires? This boat is a salt water boat. Swapping the ECUs and the issue stayed on the port side tells me that it is NOT the ECU itself.

I found an old thread on this but no specific "it is this connector" that would throw all those codes..... more than one person has had this issue so someone should be able to say "go check this connector" for xyz.

My local dealer will not touch anything older than 10 years old so I am at the mercy of you all.....

U0100 - ECU could not establish CAN communication with partner ECU
U16BD - CAN Timeout or Check sum error of synchronization messages (Twin engine vehicles)
U16B5 - Port ECU - CAN Time Out - Port ECU error
U16B7 - Port ECU - CAN Timeout error-Missing CAN ID 017h
U16B9 - Port ECU - CAN Timeout error-Missing CAN ID 01Bh
U16BB - Port ECU - CAN Timeout error-Missing CAN ID 1A2h
U1301 - Software / Data compatibility error between starboard and port ECUs

Last edited:
Here is the Schematic for the CANBUS

D/E6 and D/E5 is the com between ECU.

I would check these for corrosion.

1686236666574.png

Bless you in advance. I will get out there after work and see what I can find.

Will let you know the results!!!

Started digging at lunch and so far not seeing anything yet, nothing loose, nothing showing obvious corrosion.

Any idea how/where the stuff in the engine compartment connects to the cluster? Is there a common connector back to the front?

Also, I assume I should be looking at all the connectors on the port side...but any idea if could actually be on the starboard side?

So I think it is fixed. I was not able to find any corrosion or loose connections but I did find that the relay in the smaller fuse box was not "clicking" when I removed/replaced it. Swapped it with the starboard side and the problem followed the relay. Went to the dealer and got 2 new ones and now both engines are firing up.

Of course now the port engine has a check engine light and the only fault code is P0523. The boat was fine when I ran it to winterize it, so I am assuming this will clear away as soon as I put it in the water. The oil is at the proper level.

Attachments

• IMG_2056.jpeg
    IMG_2056.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 6
Back