Who broke what and when?....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoosnipe

Premium Member
Premium Member
O.K., the summer season is quickly winding down to a close. I'm starting to put together my replace, repair and remanafacture list for the off season. Am I the only one who broke something this year? If you broke something, what was it? And how did you break it?

I was out in my Challenger, jumping waves in the bay. Nice day, light breeze kickin up about 1 and 1/2 to 2 foot seas. I was getting good at launching from one wave and landing on the next one. There were a couple though, that made me think I broke my back. Real hard landings.

Well, when I got back home. Turned to grab the rear mooring line, I realized my hatch to the rope locker was gone!........bummer. I even went back looking for it. Thought it would float. I knew, it was gonna cost a fortune to replace.

Well, I never found it. The cost of replacement is $139 bucks. All this over some 2 dollar el cheapo, plastic hinges that broke. When I get the new one, you can bet I'll devise a way to put it on without the el cheapo hinges.

And my accelerator pump is out.

What did you break?.....................:cheers:

I broke something...besides d***'n around w/ carbs in early stage, boat performed well, for what it was, daughter and nepews had a blast.
Situation came about, tow'n her to Dana Point, noticed boat dip'n left, pulled over, inspected, and noticed darn bunk broke, so heck w/ it, continued on, wasn't far from marina, so dumped the boat and chick off, took gander up to Home Depot, scored on (2)8ft 2x4's, some indoor/outdoor carpet, and those huge staple look'n tacks. Truckt back to marina, and tackled the mofo..mind you, already had tools,sawsall in truck, o-yah, bought bolts too. Sawsalled off the bolts, way faster, and hooked ur up w/ new bunks..walahh

Gee, the only thing I broke this summer was my gas card...and it's still broke.:rofl:

Karl

broke my steereing nozzle in half on my 97 gts. replaced the pump, venturi and nozzle with aluminum pieces.

Upadate!.......

Well, I just took the boat out on Friday, now I got a new problem. It appears my MAG carb is now sticking again. I went to full throttle, started into a turn in a part of the creek that was only 25 feet wide, pulled back on the throttle and no response. YOu talking about scared. I was within 5 feet of putting her in the woods............

Needless to say, she's on the trailer, waiting for a carb go thru.

These older 787's are notorious for the bushings in the throttle plates for sticking. This is my 2nd season and the second time I had this problem. I usually repair it bay removing the throttle plate, remove the shaft and take the bushing out, clean it and polish it up, put it back together with some teflon lubricant.

I've got to find a longer lasting solution. I wonder if a new bushing is in order. It's not like I don't have 5 or so Mikunin carbs just sittin around. I'm sure one of them has to have a good bushing in it..........

I seem to break every thing this summer including my wallet. I blew my engine but it is not to bad. I had piston damage on pto cylinder but believe it or not I will be able to to hone cylinder as there is no visual damage. I will order new top end piston kit replacing both pistons. I bought another engine as I was wanting to have a complete stock engine for my boat and I was just going to drop in the new engine and go threw my modified engine over the winter. I bought this new engine complete carbs and all off ebay the seller had 100% feed back bought and sold over 40+ items. His add read that boat fell of trailer and had hull damage. and that the engine ran great in boat. I recieved the engine and opened the crate I turned the engine over by hand and felt good compression I removed the loose pto spark plug and turned the engine over by hand and found no compression on the mag side with the spark plug in. I called the seller and told him that this engine has no compression on 1 cylinder. and he told me the engine ran great in the boat and it was his friends boat and the only thing wrong was that it fell of trailer. Makes me wander if there may have been insurance fraud behaind this boat with 1 bad engine and It fell of trailer. I told him I thought that the engine was worth $300.00 in the condition that it was in. I told him that I would except a parcial refund. he offered to refund $200.00 that would still leave me out $145.00 seller does not seem to care. paypal seen this in my favor and told me to ship it back. me and pay pal have been trying to get in touch with him and with no luck. I did not notice till later that he had only sold 4 items and that he bought over 40. with some one being so unreasonable I am afraid that he may not care about his credit. pay pal said if I ship the engine back that they can only give me a partial refund and the ballance when they get the rest out of him they say he will not be able to use ebay or pay pal until he pays for this problem and that collections will be after him. This is the first problem with a item that I bought off ebay. It is people like this that make it bad for buyers and sellers. makes insurance prices higher and so forth. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
RXTX - front storage compartment strut came off twice, fixed under warranty

challenger 180 - loss of steering found it yesterday problem not found yet.

Rider (me) - nothing broken but sprained knee, ankle, left wrist, right wrist twice. my doctor loves me, lol

HMMNNNN as some of you know and thanks for all your assistance, the jet pump is pooched on the GTX LTD, its WIP now, but thinking of putting the 96 GTX in for the balance of our season, has not seen water yet this year cause it started dying out above 3000rpm when warm last year. ugh.... not 2 broken units!!!! maybe just get the 99 formula 500 (ski doo) fired and try it in the water!!!!! AAAWWWWHHHH its wet

Fixes.......!

Now for my fix..........

I got one of those "two for the price of one" kinda things.........

I did find my mag carb was sticking at the throttle plate pretty bad. I took out the shaft and cleaned up the bushing. I did the unthinkable........I lubed a dry bushing. We'll see how long it lasts. I was recording the entire process, but hated the sound of my voice in the replay, so gave it up. I wanted to record the carb rebuild and sometime this winter, I plan on a pump tear down, that I was also thinking about filming........oh, but anyway.

I had been having problems with my accelerator pump too. Well, when I was cleaning everything up, checking both micro filters for trash, I found a little cut in the fuel line from the carb to the accelerator pump. So, it was sucking in air..........that's why when I suspected a problem and looked inside, I saw the spray integrated with air..........I thought it was the diaphragm. If any of you have the accelerator pump and have priced this one by one inch square diaphragm, to find they want almost $200 bucks for the dang thing, ..........I just didn't worry about it. But now, to find it was just sucking air..........man,I lucked out.

Now, the boat runs like a champ!............to bad the season is almost out! I'll get in another month before I start keeping it on the trailer..........got more maintenance to do!...............Good luck all. Let's get these things fixed for next spring!...............................:cheers:

just got my jet pump back from being rebuilt and having a new wear ring put in:)

i dont think the season ever ends down in fl....

I hear ya!

Now you sound just like Karl.............ya'll just have the best of all worlds. Nice weather, pretty white sand, and ..........well, we all have seen the pictures of "spring break" on the news. :rofl:

my list

Inspect / replace stator (intermittent short, depending on engine rotation)
replace gray fuel lines
inspect / replace wear ring
replace rear right BUMPER CORNER (wife rammed me) :boxing_smiley:
repair / replace fuel sending unit
replace oil sending unit

Parts...$$$$$$$

Well, I just ordered the parts here online and wow.......one rope hatch door, 2 hinges, 2 latches (one for the main door in the floor), screws comes to about $250.......oouch. Gotta pay to play:rofl:

I did get a good deal on hydroturf. They had a special on a sheet of purple for $35 bucks. It came in this past week and I got a new piece on the swim platform and the first little step up, by the engine compartment handle (so my kids won't slip). I hope I got enough left over to do either the door in the floor or an area in front of the rear seats..........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back