Steering nut broke--now wants to turn right

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Lothsahn

The thru hull nut (277 000 052) in my 1996 GTX broke. I got it back to the dock and replaced the nut and now it wants to turn right all the time.

I can adjust the end bolt out, which helps a little, but even all the way out, it's still turning right.

Did I not pull the steering cable far enough through the hull? How far should the cable pull when you install the nut?

Getting the nut on without removing the pump was a PAIN. Didn't want to pull the pump in the water...

There is a lock ring inside that the fitting and the nut holds that and the rubber gasket/grommet securely in position.

Figured it out. I didn't pull the cable out enough when I put in the through hull nut. There are two notches that the half moon plastic thing can fit in and I put it in the first, not the second.

If anyone ever needs to get one of these nuts out, a deep well 15/16 or 24mm socket with a vice grips works very well.

There is a lock ring inside that the fitting and the nut holds that and the rubber gasket/grommet securely in position.
There's actually two slots the half moons can lock into. I had it in the first, which didn't have the cable pulled enough out of the hull.

Thanks so much! As in, I was having a very bad day and the fact that a random stranger helped meant a lot.

Definitely upgrading to brass when I get home. That is a pain.

It only fits correctly in one slot and I think that is the closest to the rear of the ski. I wouldn't put brass on there. Never had an issue with plastic but... you're call. Good Luck !!

Weird. I got it fastened in both slots. In any case, it's definitely good to go now.

Good to hear you haven't had an issue with the plastics. That little nut took away a couple days of my lake trip, though, so im eager to never deal with it again. :)

The original part was 277 000 052 and it was superseded with a new part number. But if you Google the number there's a ton of aftermarket metal ones, including brass from OSDparts.

Any reason you wouldn't put brass in there?

Weird. I got it fastened in both slots. In any case, it's definitely good to go now.

Good to hear you haven't had an issue with the plastics. That little nut took away a couple days of my lake trip, though, so im eager to never deal with it again. :)

The original part was 277 000 052 and it was superseded with a new part number. But if you Google the number there's a ton of aftermarket metal ones, including brass from OSDparts.

Any reason you wouldn't put brass in there?
I've been a machinist by trade since apprenticeship in 1976. I don't upgrade without reason and most of the times upgrades introduce new problems so it never ends. In this case, the rest of the fitting is plastic and the nut does not have a high torque so metal won't gain anything there. I haven't seen any of these nuts loose on skis I've restored so what works is good enough for me. Next, the brass can corrode, calcium will stick to it and it may swell up inside the threads and cause problems trying to remove. Plastic doesn't do that. I live on the gulf coast so most of our water is brackish or salty.... everything corrodes and engines Don't come apart easily. So for me in my area... plastic it is and I got plenty of parts so... I'm good with the stock set up. Just my personal reasons. Brass = waste of money to me but it's shiney and pretty. :) Good luck whatever you choose.

Back