Where do you guys get your starter rebuild kits?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

glsmohio

Where do you guys get your starter rebuild kits? Is this an easy job to do?

Thanks
Scott

For me, I just spent around $100 and bought a new SBT starter. I believe they also sell the rebuild kits though. I did not want to mess around rebuilding mine.

I just buy the generic starter kits off ebay usually, although lately I have been buying oem parts to rebuild the starters. Usually only a couple $$ more. Rebuilding an OEM starter is much better than the SBT ones. Pretty much everyone here on the site will tell you they suck. But basically anything besides OEM really do suck.

We sell the WSM starters here are the prices for the 800.
63.jpg

www.SeaDooWarehouse.com has the OEM ones as well. We can do our best to price match for you guys just PM me.

Sadly, SBT starters are no better than other foreign built starters. But a brush kit and or an OEM starter. Nothing else really holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just buy the generic starter kits off ebay usually, although lately I have been buying oem parts to rebuild the starters. Usually only a couple $$ more. Rebuilding an OEM starter is much better than the SBT ones. Pretty much everyone here on the site will tell you they suck. But basically anything besides OEM really do suck.

i have tried both, ebay stater and sbt, no good. i learned the hard way and now its time to rebuild the good ones.

Where do you guys get your starter rebuild kits? Is this an easy job to do?

Thanks
Scott

I bought a kit from Ebay that had everything to rebuild the original starter on my XP. I was having problems with it not turning over very strongly. it took all of about 30 minutes on the bench and is like new now. It was a bit tricky to get it all back together, but that was my first try at it, I could do it a lot faster now.

My problem was holding the brushes back off the armature while putting the end cap on and lining everything up, but with some patience, it will go together. Oh, one thing to help, make sure to mark the cap and starter "can" (I guess you'd call it) with a pen before you take it apart, that way you're sure to get it back on the correct way and you can easily see if it is lined up.

You can still pickup brand new OEM starters from dealerships, but they quoted me almost $300, and my rebuild kit was $18.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally all you need is a new brush kit. I get mine from Crank-n-Charge, through Amazon, about $20.00 shipped.

Lou

Hope I am not regretting the SBT starter!!!! Have cranked it over about 10 times doing heat cycle for break in on my SES motor and seems to be no issues. Guess time will tell!!!

I am needing to rebuild my starter....do the generic kits hold up?

I am needing to rebuild my starter....do the generic kits hold up?

From what I have read, the generic parts do just fine as long as you are working with an OEM starter. The key is the starter,, really need an OEM one for it to last.

From what I have read, the generic parts do just fine as long as you are working with an OEM starter. The key is the starter,, really need an OEM one for it to last.

Thanks Joe. I've seen several kits out there and wanted to see what others might be using. Some of the kits include the bendix, spring and C clip. The bendix on mine OEM starter appears to look fine and move freely.

Might want to hold off on the Amazon ones for a while. THe last two I received this week were missing the positive stud and brush but had two of the plates with the negative brush. Amazon is investigating.....

I was going to use the plate with brush and the positive brush with the stud. I have never had a starter failure so this will be my first rebuild but with a new engine I didn't want to have a starter die on the water.

Problem is both arrived with no positive brush at all.

What parts am I supposed to be using?

can someone be kind enough to provide a link (ebay,amaz, whatever) to exactly what your ordering ?
(I prefer ebay, they take paypal)

This site will not let me link to Amazon but here is what is in the kit.

41-6xoY9NGL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
can someone be kind enough to provide a link (ebay,amaz, whatever) to exactly what your ordering ?
(I prefer ebay, they take paypal)

This is the kit that I ordered. The start cranks really strong now. I did it last summer, so not sure of the longevity, but I started the XP last weekend, and it took some time to get the fuel lines all filled, but the starter worked perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Reb...Personal_Watercraft_Parts&hash=item418174476c

Be kind and don't laugh, the more I learn on here the more I know I don"t know. Does the re-build be kit go with any OEM (in this case 95,96 or 97 GTX's) starter or do you have to choose a kit for a specific starter model# ?

The ebay kit looks much more complete. The Amazon one only comes with the plate and brush.

The kit that I bought had several extra parts, so it must cover a larger number of years then what is listed. The parts were good quality and it's cheaper now by a couple of dollars, than when I bought mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back