2000 XP Engine Seize

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ProjectT-5R

I have a 2000 XP that gets used about 1-2 times per year. On this years vacation it stopped running. It wouldn't try to restart, starter would just click. After it got towed and cooled down the starter would turn the engine but it sounded bad. I popped of the head and the rear cylinder is scuffed to hell. The piston edge has damage too. I assume the engine was fully locked with heat expansion when it died.

I want to repair the ski. The ski is stock and I do not want to upgrade it unless it is for reliability. I am not looking to get deep into a new hobby. I just want to fix my ski. I am competent wrench turner but this is my 1st broken PWC and 1st broken 2 stroke.

So my questions are:

• What might have caused this engine failure? I would hate to rebuild it and fail it straight away again.
    • So what checks should I do before or after rebuild to find root cause and ensure reliability?
  • What parts should I replace for the rebuild?
    • Cylinder and piston at the very least seems obvious, I think on some quick searches I see full upper end rebuild kits.
    • Should I use factory parts or are there better aftermarket options that would be more cost effective but are well proven? Again just looking for stock performance and stock or improved reliability.
    • Can the upper rebuild be performed with the engine in the PWC?
  • I have a matching 2nd ski, it is still running fine, I would love to keep it that way. Are there any checks or modifications should make to it to ensure it's reliability?

I have attached pictures of the failure. I want to say a HUGE thank you in advance for any and all input I get from the collection of experts/gurus/hobbyists for saving me hours of reading and decision fatigue and helping to get me running and back on the water ASAP.

Attachments

• Image_20230711_100715_824.jpeg
    Image_20230711_100715_824.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Image_20230711_100715_222.jpeg
    Image_20230711_100715_222.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 5
  • Image_20230711_100714_619.jpeg
    Image_20230711_100714_619.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Image_20230711_100715_381.jpeg
    Image_20230711_100715_381.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Image_20230711_100714_759.jpeg
    Image_20230711_100714_759.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Image_20230711_100714_922.jpeg
    Image_20230711_100714_922.jpeg
    450 KB · Views: 5
Could be caused by a lean condition from sucking air possibly through crankcase oil seals, carb base gaskets, carburetor, fuel system.
You will need to find the problem so it doesn’t happen again, pressure test the carburetors or better yet, rebuild them and test pop off, test that the needle holds 10 pounds of pressure after rebuild. You can do a leak down test in the motor to find your leak. Pressurize the fuel system to find any possible leaks in there. The manual will walk you through step by step on how to perform each procedure and you can always post on here if you have any questions. The leak down test is usually done a little differently than how the manual indicates so
You could run that by someone on here. I will answer what I can, definitely won’t probably know how to answer all your questions.
You will need to remove the cylinders and have them professionally measured and bored over to the next size, new pistons, rings, wrist pins. Only use a shop that is familiar with 2 stroke engines, best if you take your own measurements to check their work but those tools aren’t cheap so probably not an option. May want to have the cylinder head measured in case of any warpage.
From what I’ve read multiple times WSM pistons are good, Pro X better and OEM are the best. Myself personally I would chose the WSM unless there Pro X are t to much more.

That last post was tests for your broken ski. The one that is working fine just make sure to run premium fuel with no ethanol, the premium fuel here in Ontario has no ethanol not sure about where you live? And run the proper oil. If you ever notice any issues like bogging, sputtering, engine Ron’s running away in you don’t keep driving it, find the cause. That’s about all I can think of

I have a 2000 XP that gets used about 1-2 times per year. On this years vacation it stopped running. It wouldn't try to restart, starter would just click. After it got towed and cooled down the starter would turn the engine but it sounded bad. I popped of the head and the rear cylinder is scuffed to hell. The piston edge has damage too. I assume the engine was fully locked with heat expansion when it died.

I want to repair the ski. The ski is stock and I do not want to upgrade it unless it is for reliability. I am not looking to get deep into a new hobby. I just want to fix my ski. I am competent wrench turner but this is my 1st broken PWC and 1st broken 2 stroke.

So my questions are:

• What might have caused this engine failure? I would hate to rebuild it and fail it straight away again.
    • So what checks should I do before or after rebuild to find root cause and ensure reliability?
  • What parts should I replace for the rebuild?
    • Cylinder and piston at the very least seems obvious, I think on some quick searches I see full upper end rebuild kits.
    • Should I use factory parts or are there better aftermarket options that would be more cost effective but are well proven? Again just looking for stock performance and stock or improved reliability.
    • Can the upper rebuild be performed with the engine in the PWC?
  • I have a matching 2nd ski, it is still running fine, I would love to keep it that way. Are there any checks or modifications should make to it to ensure it's reliability?

I have attached pictures of the failure. I want to say a HUGE thank you in advance for any and all input I get from the collection of experts/gurus/hobbyists for saving me hours of reading and decision fatigue and helping to get me running and back on the water ASAP.
I had this happen 2x on my 98 within 2 weeks. Turned out to be bad oil injection pump. Found good pump and also put oil on gas for insurance. To rebuilds back to back. $$$$$$

I had this happen 2x on my 98 within 2 weeks. Turned out to be bad oil injection pump. Found good pump and also put oil on gas for insurance. To rebuilds back to back. $$$$

Back