Carb Conundrum BN38I

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Hi guys!

First time poster. I'm helping out my neighbor with his newly acquired 1995 Seadoo XP (717)
Engine ran, he ran it briefly on the lake, had to feather throttle etc but did manage to get it going. Said it went fast when it got up there. That was the extent of it.

He wanted me to do the carbs, fine, but I said let's compression test it first. 130 front & rear

Pulled the carbs but it looks like some monkey in the past removed the staked screws for the throttle plates. He bent one plate, broke one of the screws, from the witness marks it looks like he used vice grips on it and...as a result, the throttle bores are all marked up and the plates aren't right. And they never will be.

So I mentioned to my poor neighbor that he either needs good cores to rebuild or new carbs. I'm finding the dealer could not get me needles and seats to start with nor Mikuni brand kits to do them. This means a US purchase and I figured by the time we were done it would be +/- $400 CAD just on parts cost to rebuild properly assuming we had good cores...

Now I'm thinking it might better to spend a little more and just replace both with new. What do you guys think and where would I get new units from for the best price? Any gotchas that you can think of ?

Your help is appreciated!

No, the rebuild kits are 139.99 USD from OSD Marine, so about 188.00 CDN, Not sure where you are in Canada but I use a service called my us address, i order a fair amount and having this address in the USA saves me on the crazy brokerage fees the shipping company charge sometimes and usually the border officers just tell me to go on through without paying any duty. If your close enough to the border and shop online from stores based in USA I would suggest getting one. Also I’ve found lately that I can purchase items cheaper on amazon.com and have them shipped to us address than amazon.ca Get the back to OEM kit from OSD Marine, it comes with your new 80 gram spring, 1.2 needle and seat and you may want to pay the extra 8.00 for a new Lever and pin if someone’s been monkeying with it.

All good advice, thanks but I don't think we will be able to find some rebuildable cores in our neck of the woods. Pretty sure we're going to have to go new because of the bent throttle plates and marked up shafts. Does that OSD place sell new carbs as well?

Updated PWC used parts & Salvage Yards
I had a look in their website
osdparts.com but didn’t see any. I attached a list of salvage yards, I would give Nick a call from Westside powersports @Minnetonka4me . Never heard a bad thing about these guys and I’ve read many times they are real good people to buy from. He will most likely have a good used pair of carburetors for you

I put an email into them but I doubt it's going to be cost-effective. Ebay seems to have new BN38-34-8113 for ~$230 CAD each. It looks like you'd have to remove one of the fuel pumps on the PTO side and move all the linkage over as well as the jetting (I would guess). It would nice to know if anyone has successfully done this before. It doesn't look like they are machined for a choke plate either and instead uses a 'primer' ?

Last edited:
Back