What do you guys use to replace this gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanblace

It's the one between the steering column and the hull. I'm hoping someone came up with some clever cheap material. :)

2014_09_06_17_10_15.jpg

All it does is keep a little water from getting in the hull, personally I would just use some silicone caulk.

BTW, welcome to the Seadoo forum.

Lou

Hi & welcome to the seadoo forum.

You can also buy a piece of cork or a piece of a tire inner tube & make your own.

:) I guess you are new at this and have never worked on a ski before..... Welcome!

Looks like you are well into your project. I'm stripping down my parts ski now getting ready for my winter 96 GTX restore. Keep the pictures flowing.

Excellent, we can compare notes.

It came to me with a fuel problem and I'm doing everything I can without removing the engine. What all are you doing to yours?

Hmm, thought there was hope for this one but:

2014_10_18_15_03_45.jpg

Good ol Never start :p

Welcome to the forum, Nice project!

I've used door trim. That foam insulation stuff that comes in 1/2" strips and traced around the outline where the column meets the hull.
Also did the same things around the front tub to keep water out.

Hmm, thought there was hope for this one but:

Good ol Never start :p

Welcome to the forum, Nice project!

I've used door trim. That foam insulation stuff that comes in 1/2" strips and traced around the outline where the column meets the hull.
Also did the same things around the front tub to keep water out.

Yep, came with it. $1000 including the trailer (in LA) isn't a bad deal (even with the Walmart battery). I'll upgrade to AGM when the time comes.

I was thinking about door insulation too. Glad to know it works. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, nothing like another resto.

You got that thing pulled so far apart already, why not yank that engine out and get it all cleaned up in there. Might cost an extra hour of work but it is so worth it. Its nice to check the rotary valve and reattach the carbs, raves, etc on block while on the bench.

Yep, came with it. $1000 including the trailer (in LA) isn't a bad deal (even with the Walmart battery). I'll upgrade to AGM when the time comes.

I was thinking about door insulation too. Glad to know it works. Thanks!

Find something with at least 320 CCA. That motor likes and needs it! 200-240 like that never start will crank it once or twice but its really not capable of doing it much more.

Welcome to the forum, nothing like another resto.

You got that thing pulled so far apart already, why not yank that engine out and get it all cleaned up in there. Might cost an extra hour of work but it is so worth it. Its nice to check the rotary valve and reattach the carbs, raves, etc on block while on the bench.
Your right. I've been going back and forth and even looked for an alignment kit on Craigslist.

It would also be huge to lighten it for painting the bottom...

I hope we don't ruffle anyone's feathers when we paint it beige and tan to match our '84 Scarb. :-\

I'd say it will be more of a rebirth (vs a restoration).

If you only need the alignment tool for a one shot deal, Contact [MENTION=43374]Coastiejoe[/MENTION] on this forum for the alignment tool, he rents one out to forum member at a reasonable price.

Another advantage of motor removal is checking the starter, nice and easy to do with the motor out, for $30ish take it apart and put a new set of brushes in there. Also take the mag cover off and inspect the "pick up" the bracket on the 96's are prone to cracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back