Water in dry storage compartment?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pirana

I'm new to boating specially Jet boats. I just recently got a 2007 Challenge 180. While using the boat this past weekend noticed about 6" of water on the "dry" storage compartment.

Isn't it supposed to stay dry?

There are 3 holes that connect the compartment to the bilge (engine compartment) but since its below the bilge pump, it stays wet unless manually remove the water. Are those holes factory done. Could they be sealed, letting one with a plug just in case?

Thanks for any input.

image_01_zps8c9bde5c.png

I'm new to boating specially Jet boats. I just recently got a 2007 Challenge 180. While using the boat this past weekend noticed about 6" of water on the "dry" storage compartment.

Isn't it supposed to stay dry?

There are 3 holes that connect the compartment to the bilge (engine compartment) but since its below the bilge pump, it stays wet unless manually remove the water. Are those holes factory done. Could they be sealed, letting one with a plug just in case?

Thanks for any input.

Though I know little of the Seadoo boats,,, if this is the DRY STORAGE area and it is below the bilge pump level, then I am guessing someone put the holes in there to allow for drainage or you are taking on too much water generally speaking..

It really has to be one or the other. I can't believe the DRY STORAGE would be designed in such a way from Seadoo that would allow for it to get wet due to the bilge...

That's NOT a "Dry storage" compartment. it's a ski locker. It's meant for water to be able to drain. BUT... if you have a lot of water in your bilge... it will wind up in there.

Make sure your bilge pump is working.

****EDIT*****

Just so I made sure I wasn't "Shooting my foot off" with the above comments... I pulled your owners manual... and nowhere does it say "For dry storage".

Almost all of the smaller seadoo boats... you will find water in the ski lockers, because they are in the bilge. With that said... you can seal the holes, and put in a small transfer pump to keep it dry. But, since it's in the floor... water can come into that locker, just from rain, or from people dragging water into the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do yourself a favor and make sure you can poke through those holes, specifically the one in the center. I believe that is the one that will drain the water into your bilge area. I would not seal them. And like Doc said, make sure your bilge pump is working.

Just tossin' in my $0.02 here ..

I'm not sure if I would want to seal them up ... if you ever left your boat in the water and got heavy rain, carbon seal leak etc and the bilge pump killed your battery, those holes are there to allow the water to stay at the lowest level possible. If you seal them up you would essentially prevent the levelling of the water in the bottom of the hull which may lead to your motor getting underwater.

Thank you for your responses. The bilge pump does work and removes the water by the engine compartment. But this wager apparently is below the pick up of the pump leaving it there unless manually removed.

If my drain plus are "sealing" where can the leak be?

The driveshaft seals in your boat, leak by design. It's a carbon seal... and the water that gets past, keeps it cool. This is why seadoo boats are not rated to be left in the water.

Just to chime in.... I have the 2006 Challenger 180 CS and the ski locker gets absolutely soaked in mine too. There is always water pooling down there for me, which is a bit annoying because my anchor line is always soaked. But I just leave the locker door open when I store the boat in my garage, and it eventually dries out.

I don't think anything is wrong with our boats though. It seems to be normal for how they were designed. Its a ski locker meant for water skis, a wakeboard, towables, an anchor, etc... not dry clothes or towels.

That's good to know. I guess my complaint is that the bilge pump does not grab this water and it could take days for it to evaporate. OK now to enjoy!

The driveshaft seals in your boat, leak by design. It's a carbon seal... and the water that gets past, keeps it cool. This is why seadoo boats are not rated to be left in the water.

Jumping in here with my own question. Not rated to be left in the water? If I keep my boat at my dock, does that mean it will eventually take on water?

Jumping in here with my own question. Not rated to be left in the water? If I keep my boat at my dock, does that mean it will eventually take on water?

I remember when looking at used ones you could right away tell the ones that were left in the water, hull below water line all brownish and rotten looking with gel-coat cracks allover. Then there were even higher hours ones with almost mint looking hulls below the water lines (the ones pulled out).

Not an expert, but wonder if "leave in water rated boats" also have a higher quality hull finish, besides not slow leaking through the seals?

BTW, my ski-locker gets wet as well. Water will get down there (just from the top if nothing else), and splash around down there, even if the drains and pump gets the bulk of it out, will still be moist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Or....

you may find it sunk.

I know that may sound extreme... but it's the truth. We get a report at least once a year of a sunk seadoo. The only one's that were able to stay in the water, were the Mercury powered Seadoo's.

Or....

you may find it sunk.
I know that may sound extreme... but it's the truth. We get a report at least once a year of a sunk seadoo. The only one's that were able to stay in the water, were the Mercury powered Seadoo's.

Brutal just brutal! :) I just got my boat only to have my bubble burst. Thanks for the reality check. I was planning on pulling once a month out of the water to wash off the brown crap and for maintenance. You have just given me encouragement to design and build a boat lift for that guy.

On my way home from the bar (restaurant, only had one drink), I could not get my lights to work. I finally get to the docks and punch the right button. ARRGGH. So Dr. Honda I will be sending you a PM about sticker for my console.

We take on some water down there as well. I stuck a couple pool noodles in the bottom to keep the vests and crap out of it.

From my experience, with the boat sitting level, water will poll in the ski locker. Once you et the boat out on the water and up on plane, it runs into the bilge area. When the boat is sitting on the trailer, its jacked up enough that water doesnt stay in there. So really the only time water should fill up in there is if the boat is sitting on the water a long period without moving.

Wanted to repeat that this is not a "DRY" area. It is a joke to have a rubber seal around this lid as it leaks into the compartment just from rain or people swimming and getting into the boat wet. Unless the boat is out of the water on a trailer with no rain and dry it will always be damp. I never keep anything there I don't want wet. Anchor, fenders, etc.

.... It is a joke to have a rubber seal around this lid as it leaks into the compartment just from rain or people swimming and getting into the boat wet. ......

Really... the seal is just a rubber stop, that can take the weight of an adult walking on it. AND... it helps keep the BULK of the rain water out. Since it's not a waterproof compartment... it's not a waterproof seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back