Tuned pipe assembly fix

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrschimpf

I have a 1997 GTS. The tuned pipe assembly (part #274001092) has sprung a leak in the body of the pipe. It is not associated with any connections. The part cost about as much as my skis. Is their an epoxy/patch I can use to fix it, even if temporarily?

Hopeful,
Randy

Jb marine weld will work.... Most metal epoxies as well.... Or at worst case just purchase a used pipe off of eBay.... Not that expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+2 on the JB weld.... I had the leak on my 95 GTX and took the pipe off and had all of the plugs welded. When I put it back together, did not use locktite nor did I use a torque wrench. Well, a few hours later, the 3 nuts worked themselves off and snapped the stud on the exhaust manifold. Killed the day and caused a bit of work for me to drill and tap to do it right the second time! Being that there is no pressure on the pipe, if I had to do it again, I would grind the area and JB weld a patch over it and be done!

The best answer is to remove and weld all the plugs as mentioned above. However, most do use JB Weld and have great success. The area needs to be very clean. Prepare the surface well and do t use a cleaner that leaves residue behind.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

+2 on the JB weld.... I had the leak on my 95 GTX and took the pipe off and had all of the plugs welded. When I put it back together, did not use locktite nor did I use a torque wrench. Well, a few hours later, the 3 nuts worked themselves off and snapped the stud on the exhaust manifold. Killed the day and caused a bit of work for me to drill and tap to do it right the second time! Being that there is no pressure on the pipe, if I had to do it again, I would grind the area and JB weld a patch over it and be done!

Yes you needed to do both, but the main reason why that happens is because the pipe mounting bushings are wore out. Any time a 580-720 pipe comes off they should be replaced.

Jb will work, but expect to have to mess with it every year or two as the area will continue to corrode.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Yes you needed to do both, but the main reason why that happens is because the pipe mounting bushings are wore out. Any time a 580-720 pipe comes off they should be replaced.

Jb will work, but expect to have to mess with it every year or two as the area will continue to corrode.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

The only area that should corrode is the soft plugs that are welded on the casting. I would think that if you used a thick piece of aluminum larger diameter than the plug and JB weld to the casting, there would not be an issue.... On a side note, I am not a fan of buying a used one unless it is one that already had the plugs replaced. Would suck to spend almost as much money than having the plugs replaced and have the used one spring a leak shortly after replacing it..

I usually follow direction to a T but still cannot believe I thought it would not make a difference. To top it off, I also read feedback NOT to use an extractor to remove the broken stud as it will snap and be a REAL pain to drill out. Well, guess what I tried... Wound up making a mess.... I am glad that is behind me though! About 15 hours on the Seadoo since I did it correctly and no issues

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back