1997 GTI - Oil Leak Rotary Valve Cover

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgm5186

Good afternoon folks,

I’m begging for some assistance on this as I am completely lost at this point. About five years ago, the Rotax 717 engine in my 1997 Seadoo GTI seized up while at WOT. At that time, there was oil in the tank and I wasn’t running premix fuel. Towed the ole girl out of the water and proceeded to do an autopsy on the engine. Needless to say, one of the bearings for the crank exploded and the resulting pieces found their way up into the cylinders. Life got in the way and it sat…. Until now.

Since I knew I’d be better off buying a used or renamed engine, that’s what I did. I found a good used 717 and proceeded to take all the components off mine to build up the replacement engine. This involved buying all new seals, gaskets, filters, you name it, I replaced it. New fuel lines as well as this had the crappy grey lines which disintegrate. In any event, I got the engine lowered into the hull last night, and as im bolting the exhaust on… notice oil on the hull which was not there before. I had cleaned the hull and it was squeaky clean. Needless to say I was pissed and started trying to figure out where the oil leak was.

I checked the usual suspects like the connections for the oil lines at the block and oil injection pump, the tank grommets, etc. No dice. None of those were the source. So then I thought… maybe the rotary valve gear seals were leaking and it was dripping out of the block. Sooo… I took the rotary valve cover off and that’s when I found the leak. The hole at the very bottom of the rotary valve cover was dribbling oil, and that was dripping down and out from between the rotary valve cover and the engine block.

My question are… why in the hell is this leaking when I installed a brand new OEM oil ring on the rotary valve cover. I checked the clearance between the rotary valve cover and the block and it’s dead nuts on to what the books specs out. I don’t get it… why would this leak. I have read if it’s leaking oil here, it will leak air.

My second question is the oil supposed to dribble out of this hole at the bottom of the rotary valve cover constantly? Or is this a sign of a bad oil injection pump? I already tested the oil injection pump and it appears to pump the correct amount of oil into each cylinders intake. However this oil leak is fairly substantial and I’m kind of at a loss as to what to do.

Im hoping to gain some type of insight as to what I need to do here. Thanks in advance… totally appreciate it.

Dan

Two issues here.
1. If it is leaking out he cover then you have a leaking rotary valve cover seal/o-ring. This will be an air leak and ruin the engine (always pressure test a new engine).

2. The oil is either coming from the rotary valve shaft seal, the oil pump drive seal or the oil pump check valves. So something is leaking oil into the intake.

Two issues here.
1. If it is leaking out he cover then you have a leaking rotary valve cover seal/o-ring. This will be an air leak and ruin the engine (always pressure test a new engine).

2. The oil is either coming from the rotary valve shaft seal, the oil pump drive seal or the oil pump check valves. So something is leaking oil into the intake.
Thanks for the reply mikidymac,

The oil doesn’t appear to be leaking out of the actual engine (block, rotary valve shaft seal, etc.) The oil appears to be leaking from the small hole at the bottom of the rotary valve cover and subsequently dripping down onto the oil inlet port on the side of the engine block. I initially thought it was the rotary valve shaft seal, but after pulling the rotary valve cover off, that did not appear to be the case. So maybe leaky oil pump shaft seal. I don’t think it’s the check valves since I haven’t started the engine once yet… and given the amount of oil that leaked… it just doesn’t seem to fit.

How to explain the leaking rotary valve cover? I put a brand new o-ring on the cover and checked the clearance. It’s right at spec. I just don’t get it.

Ok… I’m a little embarrassed. Apparently… even though I could have SWORN I tightened the oil bleed screw on the injection pump… I didn’t. It was leaking out of the screw and dripping down near where the rotary valve cover meets the engine. Boy… what a dummy I am.

Thanks for the help… I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back