96 gti Broken exhaust manifold bolts

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So i just got this seadoo a few weeks ago, ive been robbed by how much work it needs compared to what i thought it needed, as always thats how it goes. Paid 1700 with a trailer expecting to only replace the bellows and maybe fuel line but its always more aint it! Anyways after fixing many leaks and changing all the fuel lines and dumping old smelly gas i finally did a water test off the trailer, i then find out when WOT water dumps in from the exhaust between the tuned pipe and manifold. So i find when i get home the forward port side bolt was just a small bolt pushed in the hole of the tuned pipe not even threaded in to anything? So i guess the previous owner pulled a fast one and stuck a bolt in there to hide the fact that there was already a broke bolt stuck inside the manifold, how nice! And no its not the top half of the bolt either its a different size and it was sticking up a quarter inch or so from where it was hitting the broken bolt in the hole so it was done to hide it. Anyways after some hours of cursing my self wishing i never bought the thing, i got the pipe off and out somehow, and the manifold off. I then drilled out the broken bolt and used an easy out, which was nearly impossible. But what came out was only about 2 threads thick, so now im confused. Because the hole is still after removing that stud, only about 4-5 threads deep, not enough for a new bolt i know because i tried, and all the other holes are maybe 10 or so threads deep. So my question is, is it ANOTHER broken bolt in there? How is that even possible? But its my final conclusion that it must be but im unsure. I thought it was supposed to be like that because it looks like a finished end in the hole but i got a new bolt kit from osdmarine with the bronze pipe inserts to fix the wallowed holes in the pipe, and all the bolts are the same length so obviously something is wrong here.. also there was no stud on the manifold just a bolt so i got a new stud and i think it goes on the front right (starboard) side of the manifold? Anyways because of all that i just tried to start drilling that hole again because ive concluded its got to be another broke bolt but its so damn hard, even my spring center punch barely nicks it. I started with a new 1/16 drill and it does nearly nothing to it! So im wondering am i wrong and is the end of the hole somehow supposed to be like that and is it some kind of reinforced material? I know the outside of the manifold is soft cast so i think id be able to tell if it was that. Any advise of my next step would be appreciated if my ramble makes any sense! Thanks

Attachments

• 1C974EF8-5CB0-4987-9E18-8D748AF93F31.jpeg
    1C974EF8-5CB0-4987-9E18-8D748AF93F31.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 26
  • D3DC501F-6350-4980-A56C-1B73FAF194FF.jpeg
    D3DC501F-6350-4980-A56C-1B73FAF194FF.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 23
Why not just buy another used manifold?
It would cost like 60-150$ when i see no real reason this couldnt be fixed, plus i have no guarantees the new one would be that great. And i dont know if mine even has a problem or not? Im unsure if the hole even has another broke bolt in it or not, thats why I asked so i could get specific help and possibly more information so i can know for sure my options, its quite obvious to me i could just go buy another but why do that unless last resort? In fact i was just looking at pics of the used ones for sale and its hard to tell but it looks like the hole im talkin about looks the same as mine on theirs, but if it is normal than why is the hole shallower without a shorter bolt sold in the replacement kit?

I can’t tell what way your manifold is facing, this is off my parts ski. I will put some heat on the studs and try to get them out later today for the real answer. If it is any good you can have it, just pay the shipping or come get it 50 miles southeast of Syracuse, NY

Attachments

• CD0BBEBB-6FBF-4E59-B4F6-EAAF9881C646.jpeg
    CD0BBEBB-6FBF-4E59-B4F6-EAAF9881C646.jpeg
    404.4 KB · Views: 16
I can’t tell what way your manifold is facing, this is off my parts ski. I will put some heat on the studs and try to get them out later today for the real answer. If it is any good you can have it, just pay the shipping or come get it 50 miles southeast of Syracuse, NY
I appreciate that, let me know how it goes. I found out it is a broke bolt in there and also that all the holes have been drilled and helicoils have been put in, and they arent even the correct thread pitch as the new bolts.. so im tossing this pos in the trash and gonna look around for a “new” one

So I got the studs out, all the holes are the same depth at about 1” deep. Sadly I am not sure my manifold will be any good. The holes you need are fine but I can’t get a broken bolt out of the engine side of it no matter how much heat I put on it. Still working on it as I like a challenge but I think it is not going to end well for the manifold!

Attachments

• 9C834B04-067F-4D88-806E-A2825AD0EA2E.jpeg
    9C834B04-067F-4D88-806E-A2825AD0EA2E.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 9
  • BD6DABF4-6D25-4D1E-ACE4-4AE995A13D52.jpeg
    BD6DABF4-6D25-4D1E-ACE4-4AE995A13D52.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 13
So I got the studs out, all the holes are the same depth at about 1” deep. Sadly I am not sure my manifold will be any good. The holes you need are fine but I can’t get a broken bolt out of the engine side of it no matter how much heat I put on it. Still working on it as I like a challenge but I think it is not going to end well for the manifold!
Oh no that sucks, isnt it supposed to just slide through that hole? Cant tap it though from the other side? I cant remember if they thread in or not.. lmk if you get it out

Oh no that sucks, isnt it supposed to just slide through that hole? Cant tap it though from the other side? I cant remember if they thread in or not.. lmk if you get it out
Correct, just thru a hole, but it is stuck! I have managed to get it to move about 1/4” by using a punch on the opposite end. I think it is bent, if I remember correctly I twisted it off to remove it because it would not turn. A couple more slips and I am going to ruin the gasket surface. I will try heat again later. Currently working on our Seadoo fuel system and an arctic cat snowmobile fuel system.

I gotcha, don’t trouble yourself too much with it. I just found one on ebay hopefully ready to go for 65$ shipped.. i just want to get this thing going before it starts getting cold out! Good luck on your endeavors

I gotcha, don’t trouble yourself too much with it. I just found one on ebay hopefully ready to go for 65$ shipped.. i just want to get this thing going before it starts getting cold out! Good luck on your endeavors
Grab the eBay one, after 1.5 hours of heat and pounding I have chipped the flange on the water jacket. I have pounded from both ends and threw in the towel when I only got it 1/2 way out!!!

Attachments

• 67899BC8-2071-412D-8E74-96E9B23DDA23.jpeg
    67899BC8-2071-412D-8E74-96E9B23DDA23.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 12
  • B51740E2-0B7D-45EB-B64A-82738FB0F09A.jpeg
    B51740E2-0B7D-45EB-B64A-82738FB0F09A.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 15
Grab the eBay one, after 1.5 hours of heat and pounding I have chipped the flange on the water jacket. I have pounded from both ends and threw in the towel when I only got it 1/2 way out!!!
Oh damn yup she is screwed haha, i ordered it. Thanks for trying! Must have been a salt water ski or something

Oh damn yup she is screwed haha, i ordered it. Thanks for trying! Must have been a salt water ski or something
Yes, it was a parts ski that came with the one I bought. It has Florida numbers on it. I think it went under water. Have not really found anything useable on it. Can’t get anything apart. I only paid $850 for mine with a trailer and parts machine. Even chasing a ghost on it since we bought it in October. I think it may be fuel. We changed everything electrical. Going to bypass the fuel Selector next. The only thing left I didn’t go thru……..

Update for anyone curious: i got one on ebay had a good looking clean stud in it already, assembled everything went for the final torque down on the bolts on the tuned pipe and got em torqued correctly then tightened the nut on the stud with a 2.5 inch stubby wrench since cant put a torque wrench on it and the freakin stud broke after i put a final little tighten on it:angry:.Theres no way i had much more or even as much as the 17 pound torque speck on it with that tiny wrench.. so everything came back off and i drilled the stud witha cobalt bit and got a ezout and bam ezout snapped inside hahaha…. Soooo 1 week later a machine shop after trying 5 shops that wouldnt do it, drilled it out with a carbide bit and put a hcoil in it 50$ not too bad except i had to buy the manifold already.. anyways finally got it together and seems like so far so good but this time I tightened it alot less and didnt use the torque wrench on any of it coz i rlly dont trust them on small stuff just a 1/4 ratchet being careful and the same stubby again except very careful and probably am at 10 or so ft pounds id guess but after a few rides no leaks and no shit getting loose and i did a lil snug up on the bolts after the first ride after it cooled and no problems yet and hopefully i dont get any problems. But thats what id suggest to anyone else in the future, use blue loctite and lockwashers it shouldnt get loose and dont overtighten coz it jus might break, and u probly will be all good. As long as theres enough pressure and it doesnt stretch the stud from bein too loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back