Troubleshooting No Spark 1994 Gtx/xp 1993

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadootecher

For all you Sea Doo electrical wizzards!!!
I have a 1994 Sea Doo, GTX (650) with no spark. I've tested the resistance readings from the stator wires and am getting an excessive reading from the generating coil (black/red to black wires) of 50K ohms on the '94 GTX. I also have a '93 XP (650) with the same stator wiring from the stator. It seems to me that with disconnecting all of the electrical components from the XP (MPEM, CDI, SPEED LIMITER) that the GTX's, MPEM and Ignition coil could be connected to test them for producing spark. Unless my Stator and MPEM, or ignition coil are bad at the same time.
I think someone out there can see what I'm saying here.
Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.
Seadootecher,
Hector

Last edited by a moderator:
Hector.....
I've looked at your electrical system and the reading you got on the stator wires are within range. It states the range to be between 40-76 ohm resistance.
I'm not really into the electronics of these things except for the simple stuff. I know that you really need the wiring diagram for your Doo, to trouble shoot it.
In the manual, which is what I was reading to try and figure out your problem, there are several safety links that can keep your engine from a spark. If something hasn't been shorted out, your problem is probably a simple one. The lanyard safety switch can be bad, not allowing the ignition module to create spark. The fuses in the mpem need to be checked. If the rectifier is bad, you'll lose the DC current to your battery. Your magneto creates a high voltage AC current. The rectifier converts that current into DC voltage.
The manual has all kinds of tests for you to perform to measure ohms resistance for your electronic parts. It would be very hard for anyone to try and trouble shoot an electrical problem without being there. I can't type 5 pages worth of electrical tests.
I hope this has been of some help to you. Good luck!

Hector, Louis is correct in that you need to have a manual in your hands to diagnose the problem. I would suggest to become a preminum member on our forums and download a manual for your make and model. The price in this forum is a fraction of the retail cost and is worth it's weight in gold...

check your coil mount/ground mount . you will see where the coil is mounted to its backing a screw with several ground wires attached. Check that to see if it is tight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back