trolling motor on pwc? what do you do when you break down?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

snosurfa7

I was wondering if anyone has ever rigged up a small trolling motor on their jet ski using the ski's battery as auxiliary/emergency power?

I am looking at buying a used pwc, most of my riding will be out through the inlet and into the ocean. I don't plan on going far offshore per se, but I'd like to be able to ride several miles along the shore, as far as a tank of gas will allow. I'll probably ride a good bit by myself so will have no one to tow me if I break down.

I could carry a tow strap, phone in waterproof case, maybe even a paddle or two but I don't think the paddles will work too well. Just wondering what yall do if you break down many miles from your launch point and are riding solo...thanks

I usually don't ride alone for those reasons. If you have a breakdown in BFE, you are screwed, blued and tatooed. Similar to riding on a day where you see tons of whitecaps. Sure you can but it would not be a smart thing to do.

1st make sure ski is in top running condition.

2nd take a cell phone and VHF radio, GPS and whatever else your coast guards
recommends. also have a good off shore pwc pfd that you can keep a waterproof flashlight and a vhf radio attached to incase you become seperated from your craft. And make sure you get a good VHF i have a standard hoizon HX750S witch is submersible, strobe light, thermo sensor and it floats. next model up has gps so you can notify the coastgaurd where you are in the event of an emergancy.

3rd always plan your trip when your leaving where your going and what time you plan to be back and tell somebody your plans so if you dont come back someone can call for help and be sure to tell that person if you plans change along the way.

PWC's....?

I think you need a 48 foot sloop.

PWC's are toys, meant to ride along the beach, jumping waves, on local rivers and lakes. This things are for fun. A tank of gas will only last a bit over an hour.

They are not designed for you to take some kind of long journey on one. Your putting yourself in danger by doing things like you've stated above.

Go out and have fun, stay local. If you want to sail up and down a coastline, you need a yacht.......:cheers:

battery

think the problem would be, draining of the battery, since nuth'n be charg'n it. Keep a motorcycle/pwc spare just in case.

Why not bring the kitchen sink? Come on people. Like Snipe said, it is a short range thing not an ocean cruiser.

i was wondering if anyone has ever rigged up a small trolling motor on their jet ski using the ski's battery as auxiliary/emergency power?

I am looking at buying a used pwc, most of my riding will be out through the inlet and into the ocean. I don't plan on going far offshore per se, but i'd like to be able to ride several miles along the shore, as far as a tank of gas will allow. I'll probably ride a good bit by myself so will have no one to tow me if i break down.

I could carry a tow strap, phone in waterproof case, maybe even a paddle or two but i don't think the paddles will work too well. Just wondering what yall do if you break down many miles from your launch point and are riding solo...thanks

have your hommie tow you back in

I guess you really have to be confident in your machine to go far on it. I have a rebuilt motor and a new battery and have made a few long round trips around the local keys here in Bradenton without any real issues apart from getting some weeds in the intake grate or a little crap building up in the fuel filter. I bring a can of carb cleaner in case I need to clean my fuel filter while I'm out on the ski. I clean it out before every run just so I know I'm going out without any fuel restrictions. Take care of your machine too, make sure you grease all your fittings and don't let any corrosion build up on your battery terminals and such. Inspect your ski before you ride. Don't leave anything to chance that could ruin your day on the water. I usually get about 3 hrs on a tank of gas.

Trolling motor shouldn't be a problem

I have room for an extra deep cycle battery in mine. No, you probably wouldn't get far on the stock battery. If you decide to do it you would need a second charged regular sized deep cycle safely mounted in case you turn it over. (a dry cell or AGM would be a good choice) A full charge should get you a couple miles at least. I never ran mine down to the point of a dead battery in 10 years on an 18ft boat lugging a 150 on back. A waverunner should be a joke and you may get 2 days running time. I will let you know as I am eyeing a 40 to 50lb thrust for mine. Yes, I will have my phone and for that matter I could tow my kayak. Take everyones advice as well, and maintain your unit. Maybe I will try the Bahamas.. see if I can make it. or not.

IMO you can have a well maintain and running machine and still break down.
I carry swim fins and swim pulling the ski, it's a good work out too.

I think a trolling motor and extra battery is a lot of weight. I would just find a good collapsible paddle and carry it along with the phone, flares, radio, etc.

Off shore or near shore fishing on a PWC / Jet ski with trolling motor

HA! I thought I was the only one doing the swim fin maneuver :thumbsup:

I have 2 skis. One that I trust as far as I can throw it and 1 that I don't trust at all. They both run fine...for the moment...but you just never know with a ski. Taking proper precautions narrows down your chance of a break down significantly but hey...they are still engines, carbs, fuel lines, filters and gas...all on WATER.

I just came out of the hopper a moment ago and had a lightbulb moment thinking about putting a trolling motor on my ski to improve my chances while offshore in the event of a breakdown. Lo and behold, I find your post. I do like your thinking and know there is a good way of doing this. I also like the guy's idea of towing the kayak. All of this should be tried out on a nice calm lake first though to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Last weekend I took my 2000 Sea Doo GTI out on Lake Livingston after finally fixing it AGAIN. I took a 10' tow rope, a long tow rope, my swim fins, 64 oz. of water and headed out about 1/16 of a mile from shore before cutting power and jumping in. Towed it back to shore with the swim fins just fine on a flat lake. I tried pulling it from the front, motoring it from the back superman style and lastly, sitting backwards on the swim platform and kicking like a paddle boat. All were very effective; however, I think I liked the superman style best but would feel the most vulnerable in that position with the boys hanging downward like that in the dirty salt water of TX. I want to get a good measure on 1 mile on the lake and try towing it in chop one day just to see how long it takes.

Alternatively, I am going to steal the other brother's idea and rig up 2 - 15' lengths of rope to tie to each of the rear left and right tie-downs, sleeve them with a 10' length of 1/2" PVC in the shape of a "V" and at the point of the V, there will be a small float and about 5' of rope that connects to the bow of my fishing kayak. Then, I'm certainly going to put my yak through the paces on it before heading out to the salt with the setup.

Lastly, I am without a doubt going to rig up a full-sized drycell battery in the front end of my STS900 with some alligator clip setup that runs back to a 40lb thrust trolling motor and see how far I can get on a full charge on the lake. When I do each of these, I'll take video and give a full report.

I completely disagree that a PWC should be confined to rivers, lakes and simple thrill riding. I have a 2007 tripple pontoon Harris Flote Bote SS230 with a Merc Verado 150 sitting in my boat house that I HATE fishing from. Every time I get out to fish, it is on the ski now. Bottom fishing, bass fishing, jug fishing etc. It is a BLAST. Best of all, I don't spend nearly as much on fuel. Last Jan a few buds of mine and myself hired a guide to go fish for Bull Reds on the Galveston North Jetty. $175 each (not too bad), but the next week when I went out there myself to the same spot, I used $5 in gas and $6 on bait and had WAY more fun with the exact same 45"+ bull reds on much lighter gear. I'm a fan of hiring a guide from time to time but they always seem to have massive gear that just horses the fish up. I want to let em' run and play when I'm not fishing for food.

Both of my skis have 16+ gallon tanks on them and if I'm not WOT the entire day, I get excellent economy in the 35 to 45mph range. A few weekends ago, my buddy and myself took our's up river on Lake Livingston and after the 23 mile day with mostly WOT, I only added 6 gallons of fuel to top it off up the pipe. Not too bad if you ask me. The key is knowing how your ski preforms on fuel, being properly equipped like many of the posts recommend (VHF, GPS etc) and if you can...hook up with at least 1 other person to go out with with similar off shore/near shore interests. Watch the weather and know your environment. Lastly, if you have a 2 stroke and have never been inside your carb, removed plugs, un-fowled a fuel filter or replaced your fuses on your ski...don't even think about going out alone on the open ocean. Most lakes (aside from the great lakes) could be survived on for quite awhile. The salt is a different story if you drift the wrong way :banghead:

I built the PVC fishing rack featured by Gator88 on ************** and modified it for my Kawasaki 900STS. Thing will haul more gear than I would ever care to carry. Next, I want to figure out how to connect the trolling motor to it for an emergency.

Sincerely,
Too much time on my hands in Houston

IMO you can have a well maintain and running machine and still break down.
I carry swim fins and swim pulling the ski, it's a good work out too.

I think a trolling motor and extra battery is a lot of weight. I would just find a good collapsible paddle and carry it along with the phone, flares, radio, etc.

Hey buddy... please don't pull threads back from the dead. The original post was from 2 years ago, and I'm sure none of the people responding to the thread are even here anymore. (other than snipe)

And much like myself...someone else out there will search Yahoo some day for the same thing and find value in much of what is written here. Unless there is a restriction on "time to reply" to a certain forum...I might suggest that your comment is useless to myself and anyone else who visits this link in the future. Normally, I wouldn't bother with engaging someone on a simple snipe attempt but since we are now "buddys", I feel that would be plain ole rude:banghead:

Hey buddy... please don't pull threads back from the dead. The original post was from 2 years ago, and I'm sure none of the people responding to the thread are even here anymore. (other than snipe)

HA! I thought I was the only one doing the swim fin maneuver :thumbsup:

I have 2 skis. One that I trust as far as I can throw it and 1 that I don't trust at all. They both run fine...for the moment...but you just never know with a ski. Taking proper precautions narrows down your chance of a break down significantly but hey...they are still engines, carbs, fuel lines, filters and gas...all on WATER.

I just came out of the hopper a moment ago and had a lightbulb moment thinking about putting a trolling motor on my ski to improve my chances while offshore in the event of a breakdown. Lo and behold, I find your post. I do like your thinking and know there is a good way of doing this. I also like the guy's idea of towing the kayak. All of this should be tried out on a nice calm lake first though to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Last weekend I took my 2000 Sea Doo GTI out on Lake Livingston after finally fixing it AGAIN. I took a 10' tow rope, a long tow rope, my swim fins, 64 oz. of water and headed out about 1/16 of a mile from shore before cutting power and jumping in. Towed it back to shore with the swim fins just fine on a flat lake. I tried pulling it from the front, motoring it from the back superman style and lastly, sitting backwards on the swim platform and kicking like a paddle boat. All were very effective; however, I think I liked the superman style best but would feel the most vulnerable in that position with the boys hanging downward like that in the dirty salt water of TX. I want to get a good measure on 1 mile on the lake and try towing it in chop one day just to see how long it takes.

Alternatively, I am going to steal the other brother's idea and rig up 2 - 15' lengths of rope to tie to each of the rear left and right tie-downs, sleeve them with a 10' length of 1/2" PVC in the shape of a "V" and at the point of the V, there will be a small float and about 5' of rope that connects to the bow of my fishing kayak. Then, I'm certainly going to put my yak through the paces on it before heading out to the salt with the setup.

Lastly, I am without a doubt going to rig up a full-sized drycell battery in the front end of my STS900 with some alligator clip setup that runs back to a 40lb thrust trolling motor and see how far I can get on a full charge on the lake. When I do each of these, I'll take video and give a full report.

I completely disagree that a PWC should be confined to rivers, lakes and simple thrill riding. I have a 2007 tripple pontoon Harris Flote Bote SS230 with a Merc Verado 150 sitting in my boat house that I HATE fishing from. Every time I get out to fish, it is on the ski now. Bottom fishing, bass fishing, jug fishing etc. It is a BLAST. Best of all, I don't spend nearly as much on fuel. Last Jan a few buds of mine and myself hired a guide to go fish for Bull Reds on the Galveston North Jetty. $175 each (not too bad), but the next week when I went out there myself to the same spot, I used $5 in gas and $6 on bait and had WAY more fun with the exact same 45"+ bull reds on much lighter gear. I'm a fan of hiring a guide from time to time but they always seem to have massive gear that just horses the fish up. I want to let em' run and play when I'm not fishing for food.

Both of my skis have 16+ gallon tanks on them and if I'm not WOT the entire day, I get excellent economy in the 35 to 45mph range. A few weekends ago, my buddy and myself took our's up river on Lake Livingston and after the 23 mile day with mostly WOT, I only added 6 gallons of fuel to top it off up the pipe. Not too bad if you ask me. The key is knowing how your ski preforms on fuel, being properly equipped like many of the posts recommend (VHF, GPS etc) and if you can...hook up with at least 1 other person to go out with with similar off shore/near shore interests. Watch the weather and know your environment. Lastly, if you have a 2 stroke and have never been inside your carb, removed plugs, un-fowled a fuel filter or replaced your fuses on your ski...don't even think about going out alone on the open ocean. Most lakes (aside from the great lakes) could be survived on for quite awhile. The salt is a different story if you drift the wrong way :banghead:

I built the PVC fishing rack featured by Gator88 on ************** and modified it for my Kawasaki 900STS. Thing will haul more gear than I would ever care to carry. Next, I want to figure out how to connect the trolling motor to it for an emergency.

Sincerely,
Too much time on my hands in Houston

Yo, Thor Hyerdahl,
I think you should go back into the "hopper" for a while take a chill pill and rethink this whole jetskiing across the ocean thing. If the damn thing breaks down call AAA, tell them the road you are on is washed out and they should wear waders. On second thought, I think you really are on to something and should go ahead and mount a 50 HP outboard motor to the back of you ski and put together a step by step tutorial so we all can replicate it. I've been keeping this a secret until the patent gets approved, but I'm mounting Delorean style flip up doors and a flux capacitor on my ski.

And much like myself...someone else out there will search Yahoo some day for the same thing and find value in much of what is written here. Unless there is a restriction on "time to reply" to a certain forum...I might suggest that your comment is useless to myself and anyone else who visits this link in the future. Normally, I wouldn't bother with engaging someone on a simple snipe attempt but since we are now "buddys", I feel that would be plain ole rude:banghead:

Wow.... it's only happened once before, but you just won the "Hope you don't need my help" award.

That is all.

Doc you not feeling well today? You look a little pale, sound a little grumpy. May I prescribe a weekend of fun, sun, relaxation, plenty of fluids and possibly test some of the samples that the pharmaceutical companies drop be the office?

Just sayin

That's what I pay $169 per year for...Sea Tow. Now go back to pitching your bitch in isle 5 at whatever Walmart you work at Doc. I have this vision of a little man sitting on his big jet ski driving in circles on his 1 acre farm pond due to being so afraid to get out on open water :boxing_smiley: Watch out for the big bass in the corner doc...he might bite ya if you fall off in the middle.

Hey Warren, glad to see yall still here. I was funnin with ya yesterdee but it's good to have an innovative thinker like yourself on the site that I cin trade iders with. Doc and the rest of the guys here think jet skis are just for jet skiing, they make fun of my iders too. They work them fancy jobs wearin their shirts and shoes all week then come saturdee they tow their shiny skis and boats out to their local lake with their fancy pickups with air conditunin and FM radio and all. Then they go out on the water and think their Richard Petty. They think enjoying nature is goin 60 miles an hours with the breeze in your face and the sun shining and pritty girls all around. Hell, they never had a real nature experience like ya'll do down in Texas. Nuthin like taking the boat out on a moonlit night and kickin back with a cold beer in one hand and yur other arm wrapped around yur sister just starin up at all those pritty little stars. Damn, now that's enjoyin nature. Anyway I got a couple iders to run by ya'll. I like to open up the cover on the front of the ski and pull that container out, dump some ice down in the hull and ya got an instant beer cooler. As the ice melts the water just gets pumped right out. I usually just throw a case or 2 in there but was thinking about installing a keg and bringing the tap up thru the front of the hull. Now that container, ya cut a piece a plexiglass and ya use some duct tape to divide that container in 2 sections. Now the back section ya use as a live bait well and the front secting ya cin use to store those magazines with the pictures of the nekid little boys ya'll like to read while yur fishin off yur ski. Now for your trollin motor idear, i was over the walmart this mornin and ran into my second cusin BillyBob, of course he's first cusin on my wife's side so we're practically kin. Anyway, he's says he's got this old trollin motor he'll let us have fir free if I set him up on a date with my aunt BettyLou, course um going to let my wife talk to her cause she knows her much better cause thir cusins and grew up in the same house together. I tried to just get him to give it to me for free givin the big favor I did for his family and all. Damn hillbillies, ya know they would still be going out in the woods behind their trailer and crappin in the woods then wipin their butts with leaves if I didn't go over there and nail a toliet paper holder to the tree for em. Now that is some engineerin there boy. Lookin forward to workin with ya Warren. We'll show this group of stuck up yahoos what real inventors cin do with their skis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jake,

You've been teasing me all along, our sis is out of jail, and you've been keeping her for yourself. I'll bet you've even been getting the family rate. Once the strike is over she's going back to Cleveland ain't she.

BTW, I'm putting a camper top on my SeaDoo.

Your twin brother (separated at birth),

Lou

Jake,

You've been teasing me all along, our sis is out of jail, and you've been keeping her for yourself. I'll bet you've even been getting the family rate. Once the strike is over she's going back to Cleveland ain't she.

BTW, I'm putting a camper top on my SeaDoo.

Your twin brother (separated at birth),

Lou

You caught me Lou, she is out of jail. Even gave me a 2 for 1 price to celebrate her release. Cleveland is iffy, there are rumors of a trade, might even get cut. Cleveland is trying to keep up it's image, lol "The Mistake by the Lake"
You going to the family reunion next month? There are going to be some awesome babes there.

camper top, that is an awesome idea! you got to post pics. The support posts for the top aren't going to interfere with your trolling motor are they? GIT ER DONE

That's what I pay $169 per year for...Sea Tow. Now go back to pitching your bitch in isle 5 at whatever Walmart you work at Doc. I have this vision of a little man sitting on his big jet ski driving in circles on his 1 acre farm pond due to being so afraid to get out on open water :boxing_smiley: Watch out for the big bass in the corner doc...he might bite ya if you fall off in the middle.

wow... you're an absolute dick.

Doc is one of the most respected members of this forum (if not THE most respected member) and spends a large portion of his time helping people like me who didn't know anything about skis and boats until i joined this site.

if you're going to keep up that arrogance then maybe you should go back to yahoo and find a different forum.

Back