trolling motor on pwc? what do you do when you break down?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Warren hasn't responded in a couple days. Wonder if he is stranded somewhere fishing and can't get his ski started because his toaster oven drained his battery and he forgot to put gas in the trolling motor? That's why I'm thinking solar panel on the hood of my ski to keep the battery charged.

Doc. What a butt wad Warren is. As a upstanding Texan I'll do the state and the board a :thumbsup:favor and drag him and his ski back to L.A. so he can ride to Catalina or even Honolulu. :ban:

I've actually toyed with this idea before. I found a tiny little trolling motor head and adapted it to be attatchable to my steering nozzle on the GTS. Ran a little two-way switch to the front and another batt. in the storage of the GTS. Worked well till the little motor filled up with water. The problem I had though was there was nowhere to put the fish, rods, or net. Also, it's a huge PITA to handle a fish on a jet-ski, especially if it's of any appreciable size. After the motor tanked, I gave it up, besides, now I can fish off my Challenger. I will put a trolling motor into it too though, but mainly because I've been broken down on it before, and never want to try using paddles on a 1300lb boat again. It's just feels stupid! I do like to stay out on the water past sunset sometimes... I plan on securing the trolling motor in the spacious engine bay, maybe screw a few clamps into he hull. It'll be mainly for emergencies as I don't think I'll use it for fishing that much. I wish that other little trolling motor didn't break down, it would've been nice to have for the rare occasions the GTS gives up on me. It's rare, but has happened and paddling a 500lb kayak is no fun either ;)

I usually don't ride alone for those reasons. If you have a breakdown in BFE, you are screwed, blued and tatooed. Similar to riding on a day where you see tons of whitecaps. Sure you can but it would not be a smart thing to do.

this is pretty much it... riding alone on a 9' craft is a bad idea... i've done it before, when I was younger and dumber, but after one really rough day (my best ride ever by the way, I submarined about 10 times, lost my hat, my sunglasses and was nearly tossed at least a half dozen times, on a big yami XL, I traveled 45 miles and saw only two boats on the water, one being a FWC guy that HAD to be there)

then she (the wife) found out I rode solo that day and and she saw how bad the conditions were when she drove over the bridge on the way home from work, and tore me a new one.. i'm no longer allowed solo rides anywhere but at the local yacht club where the boat traffic is heavy and assistance would be nearby if I broke down.

I also post my ride plan with my wife every ride, where I launch, when I launch, direction, distance, and estimated return, she has permission to call the coast guard if i'm more than 2 hours overdue. if my wife is out of town on ride day, I post my ride plan with my ex coastie brother in law. better safe than sorry, and I carry two cells, my regular cell, and a waterproof cell.

call me whipped if you like... but its good to be loved :)

Back