Towing: Which line to "pinch off" when towing?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, SeaDoo actually states in the manual that boats should not remain in the water docked overnight or for days.

Ok great, going to definitely have to look into this before I go... So I assume that it is fine to turn on the bilge pump while the boat is in the water?
When the guy dropped the boat off yesterday morning, he hit the bildge switch and it spit out some water, I took it out for the whole day yesterday, took it out of the water and flicked the switch and nothing come out? When I got home I opened up the engine bay and it looked pretty dry nothing really there or in the "floor storage" even tho we had taken in ALOT of water from huge waves crashing over. Do you know why there wouldnt have been any water in the boat?

He forgot to bring the manual so hes going to bring me it on Monday, hopefully..

The boat has "Bailer Tubes" These tubes have a point where they sit at the low spot of the hull and then travel out the back of the boat where they exit just above the rear nozzle. As the mass floss of water exits the nozzle while out riding, it creates a low pressure area where the tubes exit near the nozzle. Any standing water basically gets sucked out of the hull due to this design. The ONLY work when running at speed.

The boat has "Bailer Tubes" These tubes have a point where they sit at the low spot of the hull and then travel out the back of the boat where they exit just above the rear nozzle. As the mass floss of water exits the nozzle while out riding, it creates a low pressure area where the tubes exit near the nozzle. Any standing water basically gets sucked out of the hull due to this design. The ONLY work when running at speed.

Perfect thanks. Will be heading out shortly to find out about getting an auto pump. I will be there for 2-3 nights, and if it sank, I would be crying infront of all my friends. The 2012 Speedster 150 isnt auto standard correct? I have the switch on my dash. Saw it work once when the previous owner showed me, but I didnt even hear anything turn on when I tried it after.

I don't know that answer. If it isn't, you can install a float switch to it which will make it an auto system.

Test it at home. Plug the boat up and run the hose into the engine bay right ontop of the bilge. Once the pump is mostly submerged it should click on even if your battery switch is turned to off.

Hey,

Definitely have read through manual on this too. I know my 09' Challenger has a good Auto Bilge from factory. Im not sure if your speedster does as well?

If it already has the auto bilge, it will be wired in a fashion where it's connected on the "hot" side of the master switch, so even if the master switch is turned off, the auto bilge will still run in the event that it needs to pump some water out.

Again, I'm not sure on the factory config. on your boat, but in principle this is how it should be setup whether it's factory setup or aftermarket.

Cheers

Hey,

Definitely have read through manual on this too. I know my 09' Challenger has a good Auto Bilge from factory. Im not sure if your speedster does as well?

If it already has the auto bilge, it will be wired in a fashion where it's connected on the "hot" side of the master switch, so even if the master switch is turned off, the auto bilge will still run in the event that it needs to pump some water out.

Again, I'm not sure on the factory config. on your boat, but in principle this is how it should be setup whether it's factory setup or aftermarket.

Cheers

Perfect, I will be checking it out tomorrow along with giving it a test to make sure it works! At most how far should I fill it up, just before it hits the engine?
On the sea doo website it says,
http://www.sea-doo.ca/content/dam/seadoo/Global/MY2012/Documents/150 Speedster SS 12 EN.pdf

Hull & Deck
• Cleats – chrome (4)
• Cup holders (4)
• Rub rail – Black
• Grab handles (8)
• Navigation lights
• Ski pylon – pull-up
• Tow hooks – stainless steel
bow & stern
• Walk-through – bow
• Reboarding ladder – stern (1-step)
• Engine blower
• Automatic bilge pump

So should probably already be in?

Either way I might even want a backup, it was like 30 bucks at canadian tire.
Thanks

Perfect, I will be checking it out tomorrow along with giving it a test to make sure it works! At most how far should I fill it up, just before it hits the engine?
On the sea doo website it says,
http://www.sea-doo.ca/content/dam/seadoo/Global/MY2012/Documents/150 Speedster SS 12 EN.pdf

Hull & Deck
•Cleats – chrome (4)
•Cup holders (4)
•Rub rail – Black
•Grab handles (8)
•Navigation lights
•Ski pylon – pull-up
•Tow hooks – stainless steel
bow & stern
•Walk-through – bow
•Reboarding ladder – stern (1-step)
•Engine blower
•Automatic bilge pump

So should probably already be in?

Either way I might even want a backup, it was like 30 bucks at canadian tire.
Thanks
I'd be pretty surprised if it wasnt already in there!

Thanks

Normally the auto pump will turn on about the time water reaches the top of the pump. If not try shaking the boat a little. Keep boat in the same approximate attitude it would sit in the water (bow not down too much) b/c water can run into the bow before pooling in the bilge as it normally would.

Generally the pump will be mounted to avoid submerging the electric starter on the engine if the starter is mounted down low, hopefully the pump turns on before water begins kissing the bottom of the starter and definitely before water reaches rotating PTO wheel on the engine b/c this will fling water everywhere while running. Also as water reaches the crankshaft seal area water can enter the engine oil.

I'd be pretty surprised if it wasnt already in there!

Hey so, I tried today to do the bilge test... I filled up the bilge with water, had the drainage holes closed up, after awhile I heard the bilge pump automatically turn on, but the water didn't actually go out? My driveway was completely dry, heard the bilge pump turn on, left it for about 10 minutes, no water anywhere but the pump was running. I unplugged the holes, drained the water out, and the pump turned off... Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Hey so, I tried today to do the bilge test... I filled up the bilge with water, had the drainage holes closed up, after awhile I heard the bilge pump automatically turn on, but the water didn't actually go out? My driveway was completely dry, heard the bilge pump turn on, left it for about 10 minutes, no water anywhere but the pump was running. I unplugged the holes, drained the water out, and the pump turned off... Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

I would suggest you start a new thread for this if you want proper help...

But since I'm here it sounds like your pump or hose is clogged. SHouldn't take but a minute to check either out. Back flush the exit hole with a hose usually solves such needs.

Pump or hose is plugged. It can also be a sheared shaft at the impeller of the pump. But not likely.

I would suggest you start a new thread for this if you want proper help...

But since I'm here it sounds like your pump or hose is clogged. SHouldn't take but a minute to check either out. Back flush the exit hole with a hose usually solves such needs.

I figured its a pretty basic question, so I don't want to start a whole new thread, but definitely will if this doesnt work.

And excuse my ignorance, very new to this, but the exit hole is on the side of the boat correct? I just fill water into it and it "should" push out whatever is blocking it? Would a fish work aswell or safr to stick with the hose?

271.jpg

Pump or hose is plugged. It can also be a sheared shaft at the impeller of the pump. But not likely.

Hope to god not.... O=

New is not a problem...got to learn. Take the time to find the pump location in front of the engine assuming this is a 180. A couple of constructive comments. Give us the boat model so we know what we are dealing with. Also, this thread is to showcase DIY stuff and general fun. I'm not a moderator but there is no question this is not the location for this type of question. I'd be happy to offer my input if you post up in the proper forum.

You should be able to disconnect the hose from the pump and feel the water moving. Try pulling the pump off of its base. On my 04 there are two tabs, one on each side. Squeeze and pull. Inspect for mold or twigs leaves etc cloging the pump or filter screen. Ill post pics tomorrow if ya want.

Insects, such as "mud bees" often will build an air-tight nest in the outlet of the through-hull fitting, they do a remarkable job of plugging them up. I've cleared several of them this year myself.

I blow from outside the boat to preliminarily check if the fitting/hose are plugged. If the tube is open with no clog it will be easy to blow air into the tube down into the bilge. If it's plugged, I put some water in the bilge and get the bilge pump running then use a garden hose with water pressure turned fairly low to loosen/ dislodge the debris from through the outlet fitting. A length of coat hanger wire gently inserted can sometimes loosen it up but just inside the hull there's a loop in the bilge hose forming an upside down trap to stop water siphoning so the wire often won't reach very far inside (bugs don't often go far inside either). Be careful with the wire not to poke a hole in the bilge hose, they're rather thin corrugated plastic tubing.

As soon as the bilge pump begins moving water up through the bilge hose and out the fitting usually most of the debris is flushed out of the bilge hose. You'll see it come out as a muddy grass plug, and might take a few cycles of flushing using the garden hose but keep the bilge pump going with water in the bilge and avoid forcing debris completely down into the bilge pump itself b/c debris can get caught down there if flushed completely down inside the pump.

New is not a problem...got to learn. Take the time to find the pump location in front of the engine assuming this is a 180. A couple of constructive comments. Give us the boat model so we know what we are dealing with. Also, this thread is to showcase DIY stuff and general fun. I'm not a moderator but there is no question this is not the location for this type of question. I'd be happy to offer my input if you post up in the proper forum.

Ya, I probably should have started a new thread, I will look into all of this tomorrow and hopefully clear it up, but if not I definitely will start a thread for it.
As for the boat, I have a 2012 Sea Doo Speedster 150. 255 HP Supercharged.
I found the pump as well, cant think of the name off the top of my head but its a 500 GPH pump, turned on as soon as the water was as deep as the pump but wasnt actually pumping anything.

You should be able to disconnect the hose from the pump and feel the water moving. Try pulling the pump off of its base. On my 04 there are two tabs, one on each side. Squeeze and pull. Inspect for mold or twigs leaves etc cloging the pump or filter screen. Ill post pics tomorrow if ya want.

Definitely will try taking it apart tomorrow, its tucked down in there but shouldnt be too much of an issue. Once it's off if I pour water down that hole on the side of my boat, it should leak in thru the hose connected to the pump verifying the hose is clear ?

Insects, such as "mud bees" often will build an air-tight nest in the outlet of the through-hull fitting, they do a remarkable job of plugging them up. I've cleared several of them this year myself.

I blow from outside the boat to preliminarily check if the fitting/hose are plugged. If the tube is open with no clog it will be easy to blow air into the tube down into the bilge. If it's plugged, I put some water in the bilge and get the bilge pump running then use a garden hose with water pressure turned fairly low to loosen/ dislodge the debris from through the outlet fitting. A length of coat hanger wire gently inserted can sometimes loosen it up but just inside the hull there's a loop in the bilge hose forming an upside down trap to stop water siphoning so the wire often won't reach very far inside (bugs don't often go far inside either). Be careful with the wire not to poke a hole in the bilge hose, they're rather thin corrugated plastic tubing.

As soon as the bilge pump begins moving water up through the bilge hose and out the fitting usually most of the debris is flushed out of the bilge hose. You'll see it come out as a muddy grass plug, and might take a few cycles of flushing using the garden hose but keep the bilge pump going with water in the bilge and avoid forcing debris completely down into the bilge pump itself b/c debris can get caught down there if flushed completely down inside the pump.

This was mainly what I am worried about, I can grab a "fish" from work to shove down the hose which will go right around the loop, but I dont want to end up pushing it into the pump itself. Will the bilge move the water quickly once it is cleared? I probably will just end up taking the pump right out and inspecting it, but I just wasnt sure how fast it should have cleared what I put in there. It was running for a good 5 minutes before I decided to open up the "twist lock drain holes" on the back and manually tipping the boat up. The blowing trick is a good tip tho, thanks. Just want to mainly make sure that hole on the side of the boat is the correct hole before I start pouring water into it.

This red arrow indicates what mine looks like when pumping. The rest of the picture indicates why you need a working bilge pump.

Bilge pump.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On the original topic.... I have a 2010 Challenger I just bought, if you need to run with one engine for one reason or another do you need to pinch off the hose on the engine thats shut down?

On the original topic.... I have a 2010 Challenger I just bought, if you need to run with one engine for one reason or another do you need to pinch off the hose on the engine thats shut down?

If you go over 12 or 15 mph (I forget the exact speed), then Yes.

Yep, you'll know when the pump is working, the stream will probably shoot out of the fitting between 3~6" from the outlet.

It's odd you have this issue now b/c before you mentioned on the delivery the bilge pump shot water out the side. Maybe you should try again, this time blowing into the fitting once the pump cuts on might help. Sometimes a slight air bubble inside the pump can air lock the pump and normal motion of surf helps to clear that. Shaking the boat a little should do that as well. This happens sometimes but it's more the exception than the rule and as bilge water level increases eventually the air bubble inside the pump does clear.

Time for a kind of joke: Sometimes we refer to bilge pumps as bilge water circulators. Get it, the implication is as the bilge leaks and fills, the pump circulates water back out as more leaks back in. Seriously though, hopefully that's not the case.

Yep, you'll know when the pump is working, the stream will probably shoot out of the fitting between 3~6" from the outlet.

It's odd you have this issue now b/c before you mentioned on the delivery the bilge pump shot water out the side. Maybe you should try again, this time blowing into the fitting once the pump cuts on might help. Sometimes a slight air bubble inside the pump can air lock the pump and normal motion of surf helps to clear that. Shaking the boat a little should do that as well. This happens sometimes but it's more the exception than the rule and as bilge water level increases eventually the air bubble inside the pump does clear.

Time for a kind of joke: Sometimes we refer to bilge pumps as bilge water circulators. Get it, the implication is as the bilge leaks and fills, the pump circulates water back out as more leaks back in. Seriously though, hopefully that's not the case.

I found that very odd indeed! I tired blowing in the hole the other day before work, it seemed to have the littlest bit of impedance on it but seemed to blow right out after (like i was blowing into a drink thru a straw) but was completely drained inside the boat from what I thought. Anyways, going out today again, gave it a quick test before I left, and worked perfectly. Started up right away and blew the water steadily out. I'd have to assume like that little air bubble you were talking about was the issue, because I didn't see any garbage/dirt/trash anywhere around it that could have been clogging it up.

Off to the cottage Friday! Wish me luck!!

Sorry for sort of hijacking this thread aswell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back