Winterizing, not sure about the 3rd hose to pinch is????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhino2013

Hi again guys,

I'm attempting to get antifreeze into my 97 challenger. I pinch the line coming off the "T" like the book says and the other line beside it coming off the head, but I can't tell from the book or the picture where the 3rd line is that I'm supposed to pinch. Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ryan

The 3rd line that they are referring to is the engine drain line. It is the semi-clear hose that runs from the bottom of the engine towards the muffler. You will find the hose behind the engine laying on the bottom of the bilge.

Hi there Anut,

Thanks! I have two coming from the bottom of the engine in the bilge. The first runs to the top of the muffler, the other goes somewhere up in the stern above the exhaust. I pinched this one. Should I have pinched the one that I can see clearly connecting to the exhaust?

Hi again guys,

I'm attempting to get antifreeze into my 97 challenger. I pinch the line coming off the "T" like the book says and the other line beside it coming off the head, but I can't tell from the book or the picture where the 3rd line is that I'm supposed to pinch. Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ryan

IMG_3959.jpg

Ok, Yea...I was a bit confused too. Attached is a pic showing the three hoses pinched.

1- The "pee" hose, this is the one that indicates good water flow and shoots through the back of the boat.
2 - The hose that comes from the Jet Pump
3 - The hose that goes into the Water Regulator on the Muffler, This hose t's off from the Jet Pump hose

Raise the Jet Pump hose and the hose that goes into the muffler (coming off of the drain at the bottom of the block) and tie it higher than the tuned pipe.

Pour a gallon of earth friendly anti-freeze into the top flushing connector.

Goodtogo...

Last edited by a moderator:
The hose you have pinched off is the hose to the pee hole, you do not want to pinch that off. The hose to the regulator is not to be pinched off. The hose is all of the way to the bottom of the bilge, it is on the same side of the engine as the tuned pipe.

You can not see it too well because the tuned pipe is blocking your view, but each cylinder has a drain tube, they are then tee'd together and will run out from under the engine towards the exhaust. If you take a look at a parts diagram for your boat on the Bombardier website you will see what I mean.

HI there Enut, I see two hoses in the bilge, one goes to the regulator, the other elsewhere, can't see. that must be the one you mean. Thanks man.

The hose you have pinched off is the hose to the pee hole, you do not want to pinch that off. The hose to the regulator is not to be pinched off. The hose is all of the way to the bottom of the bilge, it is on the same side of the engine as the tuned pipe.

You can not see it too well because the tuned pipe is blocking your view, but each cylinder has a drain tube, they are then tee'd together and will run out from under the engine towards the exhaust. If you take a look at a parts diagram for your boat on the Bombardier website you will see what I mean.

Now I'm really confused as I had the workshop suplemental for winterizing in my hand when doing this. I checked it over and what I pinched is what is called for in the diagram...

Manual Says:
Install a hose pincher on water injection hose, CSI hose and outlet hose between T-fitting and transom

Geez, how many different ways can you do this...I just read a post where they did not use ANY clamps....SHEESH!!!

Someone please look at my pic and set me straight. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean, when I had the 97 Challenger, the owner's manual had one procedure for putting anti-freeze in while the service manual had a different procedure.

If your boat has the 787 engine you may want to follow what I have explained because I think that the procedure has been tweeked over the years. My 98 Challenger 1800 does not have me placing a clamp on the CSI hose.

i never use clamps.......just as long as antifreeze gets in the cylinder water jackets your good........i just let it drain out the exhaust.

Ya, sounds like a plan. I'm giving up on the hose pinchers and opting for using a drill pump while the engine is running to get antifreeze in it.

That sounds a bit extreme to me.............just take off the outlet hose (the one without the valve T) off the block and pour antifreeze down it until you start seeing / hearing it pour out the exhaust.........then undo the host going to the stinger pipe (the stubby fat one) and dump about a half a cup of antifreeze in it (this is just to coat the water jacket) **** DO NOT DUMP IN MORE THAN THAT , TOO MUCH AND THE ANTIFREEZE WILL ENTER THE CYLINDER!!!**** so like i said, like half a cup......................and thats it ........then just spray fogging oil in the hole on the top of the airbox for about 5 seconds.......... and then pull each plug , and hit each cylender for about 3 each .........turn the engine over about 3/4 times BY HAND and your good! just pop the plugs back in and leave the boots off (on the grounding posts on the MPEM) and plug her away for the winter ....................oh disconnect the battery too..........and then put a tender on it ........i just leave it in the ski because as long as you move the terminals away from it its setting on a nice rubbery non conductive surface.......and safe. Then if your storing it somewhere where vermin could be an issue, i just cram a wad of iron wool in the exhaust port so they dont make it their home..........everything else is covered :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back