Total Noob, Great Site

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

edchris

I have a dockload of catamarans, powerboats & human powered devices. I have never owned a Jetski, in fact have only driven one once.
I was given a 20 year old '95 SeaDoo SPi. 580 single carb Rotax.
I am somewhat familiar with the Rotax 2 strokes, as I raced Bombardier Can Am MX2 motocross bikes back in the late 70's...lots of power in a small package.
I was given this machine, with a total of 50ish, yes only 50 hours. He still had 1/3 of the jug of oil he bought 8 years ago!
All graphics are unblemished, the retro orange/purple kind of grows on you! There is no corrosion,(freshwater boat) & the storage tub/bins are uncracked, as are the bumpers. All footgrips are present & seat is not torn. No visible nicks of any sort on impeller, & I can see no daylight between vanes & wear ring.
It would sort of start, but not run. As it still had the same tank of fuel from 3 years ago, my first thought was bad fuel, along with ethanol.
After draining & new fuel, I got it to start & idle in driveway. Put it in the lake, & it would eventually go, if you got over the first 1/2 of throttle, which was dead. It did not want to idle. Figured the garage was easier than fixing at lake, so we pulled it back home.
I then found this forum, & after spending appx 15 hours reading & bookmarking post, I started a proper overhaul.
Pulled the carb, & dropped it at dealer. I had not dealt with regulated/internal pump carbs, & the kids wanted it going by weekend, so for the $100 labour, let them do it.
In the meantime, I replaced all fuel lines, pulled fuel tank & filter/separator to completely clean, changed jet pump oil,(Redline, $16 for a litre vs $20 for a tiny bottle of Bombardier stuff), replaced small 2mm oil lines, greased drive line, new plugs, cleaned what looked like a dead cow out the bilge, & finally washed & waxed her.
The thing starts with a touch of the button, & goes 70 clicks,(43mph) on the GPS. I know it's a toy compared to the behemoths available, but that's fast enough for new kids, it will tow them on wakeboard, & I have a total of $418 into it, plus my time.
It also came on a galvanized trailer that looks like it has never been used.
The only issues are a large chip out of the bottom of the steering nozzle, a non working fuel gauge, which I will fix at end of season, when I can pull the gas tank again, & a tendency to bog IF the fuel tank is topped up. If I don't totally fill it, runs like brand new. Still chasing that last snag.
This forum provided pretty much everything I needed to get this Classic 2 stroker running again. It didn't take much reading to identify 5 or 6 people with lots of experience, & willing to take the time to post detailed fixes.
Thanks to the Mods for running a civilized & very useful forum.

Congrats on getting it running. Also, you covered pretty much everything that would have to be addressed in a 2stroke Seadoo.

Looks really nice.

If it has not already been done, you need the fuel tank replaced. Call your SeaDoo dealer with the HIN and they can tell you if it has been done or not. The new tank and installation is no cost to you, do not let dealer give you static.

Thanks, yes the tank issue is also on my list.
Along with the original Owners Manual,i was also given the service records. One of the receipts,(May '97, when ski was 2 yrs old) shows,
"Labour to complete warranty bulletin 95-9 as per Campaign #95117- Filed Warranty claim through BOSS system."
It does not mention what was actually done. I'm going to follow up with the local dealer as I had read some posts re cracking in the fuel tank neck.

I decided to run if for the rest of the season as is.
Called the local dealer 2 weeks ago, & they confirmed via HIN that the tank had not been replaced.
Said it would take two days for the parts to come in.
They would not let me install the tank myself, as it was a "safety issue recall", & they didn't want to be liable for improper installation. Claimed they also had to pressure test the system with the new tank.
Anyway, I dropped it off at Leatherdale Marina in Orillia.
They replaced the tank, & not a word of static, or a penny of cost to me.
I don't normally trumpet businesses, but these people have been very polite, & efficient any time i've called them, & I would highly recommend them to anyone in the Orillia area..
I put some non ethanol fuel/stabiliser in the tank, fogged the engine, greased the drive shaft & put it on a dolly in the garage for the winter.
I'll pull the tank in spring & chase the fuel gauge issue.
I hadn't run it for a couple of weeks what with the tank being changed, it started with a 1/2 second blip of the starter, should be good to go next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back