Timing Chain Recall

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Florida Paul

I was just at the the Sea Doo dealer for ten hr.service on my 2011 GTI 130. They tell me that there is a timing chain recall on the GTI/GTX engine, certain serial numbers. Mine not recalled. others may want to check this out since timing chin failures can be quite costly. C ya

Wow ... some manufature somewhere is making crappy Timing Chains, my caddy had a timing chain recall too???

Bmann - Hurry up and buy the 2006 GTi from Ohio and maybe you get it fixed for free....wouldn't that fry Keltonks way of thinking?

Bmann - Hurry up and buy the 2006 GTi from Ohio and maybe you get it fixed for free....wouldn't that fry Keltonks way of thinking?

We're working on a deal, he's already trying fighting with BRP with no luck ... the PDF is a good write up for me though.

Another stellar example of SEA DOO quality. It's a shame they won't own-up to their past deficient timing chains, such as the one that broke on my 2006 GTI after 47 hours. At least I would assume that the 2011's are still under warranty. And why wouldn't someone's "buddy" let them know that there has been a recent timing chain recall so that their "friend" who purchased a SEA DOO PWC and suffered a broken timing chain could use it as ammunition against SEA DOO? Do you really think that SEA DOO will admit that the current timing chain failures/deficiencies have anything to do with their past timing chain failures/deficiencies? I believe that SEA DOO will admit nothing.

Just remember the three SEA COO caveats:

Don't buy a SEA DOO product unless

(1) you are independently wealthy and can afford to spend a lot of money in repairs;

(2) you are a mechanic with the proper expertise, diagnostic equipment and tools to fix it; or

(3) you buy it new with a warranty and you sell it when the warranty expires.

Mine is at the stern just behind the seat. The last 2 digits is the year made. IE: 96 = 1996, 09 is 2009.
Mine is on a black rubber tag. IDK is the tags have changed since then.
Also look on your title or maybe registration.

I just had the timing chain recall performed on my 2011 RXT-X at the dealership where I purchased the ski. I spoke with the mechanic when I dropped off the ski to see if the oil and/or spark plugs would be changed as part of the timing chain replacement as I didn't want to pay the dealership for oil and spark plug replacement if it wasn't part of the recall. "Change spark plugs" ended up on the work order - and it's completely my fault because I signed it. This brings me to my question: Is removal of the spark plugs required per SeaDoo in order to swap out the timing chain? I would think that the proper procedure would be to remove the plugs to get engine to TDC before pulling the chain. Not that the actual charge is that big of a deal, but it is irritating that I was charged $40 labor to change the spark plugs when the ski was in for the timing chain recall already. Am I off base here, or is pulling the plugs not required?

I just had the timing chain recall performed on my 2011 RXT-X at the dealership where I purchased the ski. I spoke with the mechanic when I dropped off the ski to see if the oil and/or spark plugs would be changed as part of the timing chain replacement as I didn't want to pay the dealership for oil and spark plug replacement if it wasn't part of the recall. "Change spark plugs" ended up on the work order - and it's completely my fault because I signed it. This brings me to my question: Is removal of the spark plugs required per SeaDoo in order to swap out the timing chain? I would think that the proper procedure would be to remove the plugs to get engine to TDC before pulling the chain. Not that the actual charge is that big of a deal, but it is irritating that I was charged $40 labor to change the spark plugs when the ski was in for the timing chain recall already. Am I off base here, or is pulling the plugs not required?

Call BRP they should foot the bill for you. This is ridiculous!! I can't believe their billing you. Did they replace the plugs? but to answer your question, yes the spark plugs do need to come out in order to remove the head. Believe it or not your whole engine was dissassebled to replace the timing chain. The crank actually has to come out to fit the new timing chain on it. Unless they used a rivot link (which under BRP warranty) I highly doubt they would. I've been down the timing chain replacement so I know first hand.

Let us know how you make out ...

**EDIT** See attachment in post #4

They do use a rivet type masterlink for the recall, my mistake. Mine was a loop chain so crank had to come out.

Sorry.

**EDIT** See attachment in post #4

They do use a rivet type masterlink for the recall, my mistake. Mine was a loop chain so crank had to come out.

Sorry.

But even if they do use a "rivet type masterlink" for the recall rather than a solid chain, wouldn't they still pull the plugs so they can remove the engine compression in order to spin the crank to get the engine to TDC prior to removing the old chain? I have replaced a few timing chains/belts on car engines and I always get to TDC prior to pulling the old one out. I don't care that I paid the price for the new plugs ($11.97), but it does bother me that they charged me $40 for putting them in when, I would think, they had to pull the old plugs out for the recall anyways. Thanks for the replies and info!!

But even if they do use a "rivet type masterlink" for the recall rather than a solid chain, wouldn't they still pull the plugs so they can remove the engine compression in order to spin the crank to get the engine to TDC prior to removing the old chain? I have replaced a few timing chains/belts on car engines and I always get to TDC prior to pulling the old one out. I don't care that I paid the price for the new plugs ($11.97), but it does bother me that they charged me $40 for putting them in when, I would think, they had to pull the old plugs out for the recall anyways. Thanks for the replies and info!!

Hi Jfelbs,

I wasn't very specific in my last post. They most definately have to pull the plugs (even with the rivet type link in timing chain). They wouldv'e needed to, to easily get cylinder 3 at TDC. I mean really they've got the cylinder head cover off and there charging you $40.00 to put new spark plugs in?? Download the document in post #4 and email it to them. That should be enough to settle this arguement. It clearly states in the document to remove spark plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
BMANN06,

Thank you for the info. I now have the ammo to pursue this with the dealership. I just want the $40 and an apology!

No Problem, I don't like raggin' on dealers .. but this is a bit over the top. Let us know how you make out.

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back