Timing Chain Recall

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the plugs have to be removed and they should not have charged you labor for this. Just talk to them and I'm sure they will remove the charge. I've done this timing chain recall and it kind of sucks the first time you do it. It takes 2 guys to do it but I've done it by myself also. The real problem is that seadoo designed this motor with no simple way to change the timing chain and every other motor I've ever seen has a way a simple way to change the timing chain. They didn't build in enough clearance on the bottom sprocket to freely remove the chain and it can't be removed in 1 piece without splitting the block halves. That should have been their first clue that it was a bad design. So, you basically have to break the chain and walk it around while feeding the new chain through, then use an uncrimped link and restake it to the proper specs. To be clear though, this is not a masterlink, it is a normal chain link that gets crimped just like all the other links did in the factory where it was manufactured.

I was unaware of this recall and recently feel victim to this issue. Last month while on the water with my 2011 GTI 130, the ski just shut off and would not crank over. After taking it back to the dealer at only 11 months old and 17 hrs. on the ski, it was confirmed the cam chain broke causing catastrophic engine damage. Still waiting to hear an outcome from the insurance company. I am not happy at all so far with being a Sea doo owner.

I was unaware of this recall and recently feel victim to this issue. Last month while on the water with my 2011 GTI 130, the ski just shut off and would not crank over. After taking it back to the dealer at only 11 months old and 17 hrs. on the ski, it was confirmed the cam chain broke causing catastrophic engine damage. Still waiting to hear an outcome from the insurance company. I am not happy at all so far with being a Sea doo owner.

Wouldn't this be covered by seadoo.

Agreed, that should be covered by the factory warranty there's no reason for insurance to be involved in a mechanical failure under warranty. So what's the deal here?

- Michael

I agree it should be, but all I'm getting is a run around. The dealership I bought it from and took it to be checked out seems to think it's up to the insurance company. I should be hearing more from the dealership today or they will be hearing a whole lot more from me! I'll let you know if/when I start to get some answers.

Same happened to me with only 6 hours on mine 2011 gti 130 that i bought may of this year and dealer had it since april of last year and the recall came out in august of last year but they didnt fix mine before they sold it nor did they tell me anything about it! I got the run around for about a month and after calling brp about 20 times they made dealer replace with a complete new one for not doing the recall before they sold it.

One of my 2 2011 gti 130 se's died on the water recently with a bad timing chain after about 20 hrs. I was told by the dealer to continue riding the running ski & that I shouldnt worry, its covered by the recall. The 2nd ski is still in the shop & has been for about 6 weeks. The dealer says he is still waiting for the master link. Should I be concerned or continue to be patient ?? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely not call brp and and trust me don't ride the other cause it will do the same and for your info when your chain broke you have many more problems mine have 4 bent valves and cracked piston they have had mine for 3 months and still not fixed i called every day for two weeks and they swapped mine for a 2012 ****Man you bought a new one and I would accepted nothing less

This is a bad mistake for seadoo to try to save a few bucks by using a much cheaper grade timming chain and they need to take responsibility for their mistake this isn't a defective sensor or a seat cover this is a major engine failure that even if they do get it back running you can never trust it

Forgot to mention I bought the ski's used,BUT, one ski had 20 hrs., the other only 16 hrs., & of course, both where less than a year old when I bought them this last May. I took them back to the dealership where they where bought by the original owner around July 4th of 2011.(Is time running out on my warranty coverage ??) I told the dealer I was concerned about using the second ski, & about head damage to the down ski, but he assured me Sea Doo would stand behind them fully even if it meant replacing the entire engine. He also said the recall included replacing a latch. He told me there would NO charge to me for any of it ! This sounded too good to be true. Im needing second opinions. Should I trust this dealer ?

6 weeks is a long time, have you been by the shop to see the machine and see to what extent they have it apart awaiting this master link?

I think after 6 weeks an in-person visit might be warranted. I would!

- Michael

One of my 2 2011 gti 130 se's died on the water recently with a bad timing chain after about 20 hrs. I was told by the dealer to continue riding the running ski & that I shouldnt worry, its covered by the recall. The 2nd ski is still in the shop & has been for about 6 weeks. The dealer says he is still waiting for the master link. Should I be concerned or continue to be patient ?? Thanks in advance.

I agree & I'll be going by there Thursday to speak to them in person. Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I havent put my older ski's up for sale yet ! I'll try to post some pics of them later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back