Synthetic vs Mineral oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

new_monic

First I would like to start by saying HI! To everyone

I just bought a new 2007 Sea Doo GTI and would like to keep it in tip top condition. After the 10 hrs and my first oil change, I noticed that Sea Doo offers two different oils for my machine. 4 stroke xps SAE 5w 40 synthetic oil and xps SAE 10w 40 mineral oil. I’ve been always told that synthetic oil is a lot better then regular oil for high reving and high compression engines, for optimal engine protection. So my question is to all, why does Sea Doo only offer the Supercharged machine the xps 4 stroke SAE 10w 40 mineral oil in there engines if these machine run higher compression, and has more horse power then mine, wouldn’t it be a better choice in using synthetic rather then using 10w 40 mineral? So which oil would be best. I’m think 10w 40 would be my best choice. Id would like anyone’s feed back on it.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Synthetic vs. Mineral (petroleum) debate

Welcome to the forum New Monic!...glad to always have people throwing in debating type questions..........There fun!...so let's get to it!

The debate about which oil is better will probably go on for decades to come. The standard petroleum based oil has been used for so long, through so many generations by fathers who taught us that "Quaker State" is the best motor oil for our car; thinking there may be a better motor oil out there, would be unheard of!

When we talk about synthetic oil, in comparison to petroleum oil, we find some unique features. The basestocks in synthetic motor oil are pure. Because they are derived from pure chemicals, they don’t contain any contaminates or molecules that just take up space, they all are doing the job they are designed for, to slip easily across one another. Petroleum oil on the other hand has molecules found in nature that are jagged, irregular and odd shaped and don’t slip quite so easily. These molecules all have differing properties and break down at different times. Some at high temperatures, some at high pressures and some in cold temperatures. Some of the molecules don’t even have any lubricating properties and just take up space until they solidify into sludge or varnish on the cylinder walls or become dirt deposits.
Synthetic motor oil can be designed to do certain tasks. The features include the Viscosity Index, the ability for it to flow at certain temperatures. All molecules are the same size thus have the same characteristics. Thermal and Oxidative Stability, the fact that they don’t contain contaminates that break down at normal operating temperatures. Cold Temperature Fluidity, again there is no paraffin or wax present to inhibit flow at lower temperatures. Low Volatility, Synthetic Oil does not boil off at normal operating temperatures. (Synthetic Motor Oil, Lubrication Basics by Greg Johnson).

But to answer your question about why they only suggest you use the XP-S mineral (petroleum) based oil in their supercharged engines? They do not…..you must have either been mislead or read something wrong somewhere. Let’s see if I can go over this real quick.

From the 2007 4-Tec shop manual it states,
The 2007 GTI, GTI SE, GTX, GTX Wake all use the Rotax 1503 4-TEC 4 stroke (sohc) engine. The technical data sheet states that the lubricant for this engine is 10W40 4 stroke oil with an API classification of SL, SJ or SH. Fuel requirements are for regular unleaded with 87 octane.
The 2007 GTX Supercharged and the GTX Limited use the same engine but is forced induction (supercharged). The technical data sheet on this engine states that it will use XP-S 10W40 or an equivalent approved by BRP and the fuel required is the premium unleaded with an octane of 91%. The XP-S oil is a synthetic blend, not petroleum. The only visible difference in these two engines is the supercharger. If you read the above article about the properties of the synthetic blend, then it should also be known that the supercharger on this engine turns 45,000, yes, that’s forty five thousand revolutions per minute. Now this is where my opinion comes in, I believe due to the properties of the synthetic blend and the rpm’s of the supercharger, this is the best choice of lubrication for this type of engine.
I think one of the most important things about engine lubrication is that once you decide on an oil type, stick with it. Changing engine oil type after the engine has been broke in may have an adverse reaction to the type that was once in it. That too is just my opinion.

Thanks for the question, I love looking into and reading this kinda stuff!..:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, new_monic.
And thanks for the info Seadoosnipe.:D

Your right about people not wanting change. And sticking to what there Fathers recomended years ago LoL.
Ive read loads of threads on oil changes and whats best. And the old hands like to stick it out with old tried and tested stuff. Maybe there just using up surplus stocks in the garden shed.
Technology has come on, in leaps and bounds over the past 25 years IMO.
Its frightening sometimes.

Wow!

Thanks guys this information is very helpful. I'm sure I will have alot more questions in the coming years. Again thanks for the quick response. Talk to you soon.

New and oil

I to am new to this sport and also bought a 2007 GTI. Now oil I know I work for Valvoline oil for 24 years now and I put full SNY. in everything I own and will be using it in the GTI like stated above it is a all around better choice. :)

Valvoline!

Now that's my choice of choices when it comes to motor oil in my truck and cars..........my motorcycle was Castrol. But now I use the real stuff in the vehicles. After reading that article and understanding the properties a little better, I may someday do the swap....probably wait till my next new purchase though. I don't like the idea of swapping from the real stuff to the snythetic stuff with an engine mid way through it's life.....what's your opinion on that? Think it won't hurt?......

Will it hurt

To answer your question NO years ago if you put full SYN. in a older car\truck the seals would leak but that was pre-1980 you can go back and fourth from dino oil to sny. from sny. to dino oil {mineral oil} with no trouble but it is best to stick with one brand/type.:)

Thanks

I thank you!...
After reading the research, to look for an answer to a post, I seem to realize that the synthetic blend is really the best answer, as far as how the molecules work best in easing friction at bearing surfaces.
I had really thought then I would use it in my vehicles. I do use it in my Challenger but it's always used the synthetic blend. I've already got over
100k miles on both my vehicles and will be looking to do a trade in this new year, that I'll probably start it with Valvoline Synthetic!.....
Good advice, thanks. :cool:
Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back