Starting - 98 speedster (2x787) off-season projects

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are approaching the end of the season I am beginning my winter projects list. I'm thinking this list should include rebuilding the carbs. This has been my first season with this boat and its been great. The only problem is starting at the first of the day takes a bit. I have to hit each engine 3 times with the starter before it starts (no more than 5sec burst with at least 15sec cool down). After that only the port side engine gives me trouble starting after sitting for awhile. Also the port engine will sometimes sputter (too much fuel) when accelerating from idle. All cylinders are at 150psi. Spark plugs were replaced and gaped at the beginning of this season. Starboard plugs always look perfect, port are showing a little rich. I've only put 15 hrs on it and check/clean the plugs every 5 hrs, compression every 10. Are these engines known for being this way or should they fire up with ease every time the first time? Would a carb rebuild fix this?

Mine takes a few seconds to fire up too, thats kinda normal with an old 2 stroke. I always fire it up at home in the drive way for a couple seconds. Then when I get in on the ramp, it fires right up.

Mine is pretty much the same as above ^^. Just fire it up in the driveway for a few seconds, no problems at the ramp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back