Spark OPAS

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I can't believe they would put an OPAS on it either!!!!! O.K., I give up I guess I'll claim stupidity, what the hell is an OPAS???

Lou

I can't believe they would put an OPAS on it either!!!!! O.K., I give up I guess I'll claim stupidity, what the hell is an OPAS???

Lou

OPAS = Off Powered Assisted Steering

I don't think it will be like the bigger skis, with the outboard paddles on the hull. I think it's a simple system where, when the bars are turned... the computer just adds a little throttle. (remember, it's a fly-by-wire engine) SO.... it may not really be an issue, or something that can "Be Removed". Depending on how it's tied into the steering... all you may have to do, is unplug a wire on a sender.

Generally... I don't like anything automatic... so I will probably disconnect it. (If possible) The Islandia had it... and I never hooked it up, when I put the engine back in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lou

Lou.

Here is a picture of the OPAS system.

More or less like little paddles attached to the stern quarters. Work is direct correlation with the handle bars. At higher speeds they don't stick out so there is no drag.

251.jpg

O.K., thanks, I thought it was an endangered species or something, I guess us old 2-stroke guys are behind the times. I would think it would be totally unnecessary on a small ski.

Lou

O.K., thanks, I thought it was an endangered species or something, I guess us old 2-stroke guys are behind the times. I would think it would be totally unnecessary on a small ski.

Lou

I also thick it is a creation if technology.
Kind of,,,,, look what we have, you can steer without throttle needed, ect ect.

And as you mentioned. It takes less for the smaller skis to react at slower speeds.

Lou.

Here is a picture of the OPAS system.

More or less like little paddles attached to the stern quarters. Work is direct correlation with the handle bars. At higher speeds they don't stick out so there is no drag.

251.jpg

Lou

Nope... not behind the times at all. Honestly... this is one of the things that was making me pissed-off at seadoo. They were adding WAY too much CRAP to the skis. Lets face it... the OPAS system on the big skis takes some real engineering, and expense to put in. So... in turn... it just made the ski's more expensive.

Honestly... I would LOVE for the next ski would be a slighty larger Spark, but with the 255 4-tec engine in it. So... a no frills, light weight hot-rod. (no suspension, no paddle OPAS, no iBR, no trim, no tilt steering, no security system, basic gauges... etc)

Quote Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl View Post

So, who will be removing that OPAS thing?
I didn't see OPAS in the pictures. Not sure the Spark has one and the Dealer didn't mention it.
Great question to ask the Dealer.

Its listed on the doo website under the specs. scroll down to features. Its called an OTAP not OPAS for whatever reason. Seems to be a standard feature on all of them.

Sorry that last post was so screwed up. I forgot to quote jhjesse so I copied and pasted. What a mess! :facepalm:

Honestly... I would LOVE for the next ski would be a slighty larger Spark, but with the 255 4-tec engine in it. So... a no frills, light weight hot-rod. (no suspension, no paddle OPAS, no iBR, no trim, no tilt steering, no security system, basic gauges... etc)

That's funny Dr., I'm hoping the next lightweight seadoo is even smaller than the spark (X4 size) with either an 800 etec or force fed ACE in the tune of 150+HP. One things for sure, the Spark is a good sign for both of our desires.

an 800 etec

Will never happen, they made that very clear. 2 stroke is a step backwards in their eyes. Especially with the design and development of the 900 ACE (specifically made for this project).

Perhaps an FI model, or aftermarket for that matter.

That's funny Dr., I'm hoping the next lightweight seadoo is even smaller than the spark (X4 size) with either an 800 etec or force fed ACE in the tune of 150+HP. One things for sure, the Spark is a good sign for both of our desires.

Will never happen, they made that very clear. 2 stroke is a step backwards in their eyes. Especially with the design and development of the 900 ACE (specifically made for this project).

Perhaps an FI model, or aftermarket for that matter.

I agree with JoeZ on this one. The reason we like the 2-stroke engines, is because they are simple. The E-Tec engine is FAR from being simple. Also... it's more expensive than the ACE engine. I brought this up in another thread... but have you seen the price of a 90hp E-Tec outboard?? They are $8k !! Also... they are still on the border of being banned. YES... they are much cleaner than our 90's skis... but the fact is... they burn oil, and the EPA doesn't like it. And finally... to make the E-tec a viable engine... it got heavy.

OK... they can still get away with a 2-stroke in the Snowmobile market, because they have gotten the pollution down... and the market is very small compared to other "Toys". (You can still by a 2-stoke PWC, if you want a stand-up) The problem with a 2-stroke pwc is that, the pollution goes directly into the water.

Also... I don't think they would ever go smaller. They already took an X4, and put a little more flotation on it, because the current market doesn't want a "Tippy" ski anymore. They want to be able to comfortably sit on it, without worrying about falling over.

I also think that a basic, low pressure turbo will be the next thing from seadoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
On topic guys! lol.

Yes, they renamed OPAS to OTAS.

if it works via computer throttle / steering position sensor, that's fine, but those stupid fins off the back... those would have to go!

Back