Spark concernes

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

qcustoms

Hey guys as some know I'm a newbie here so firstly hi to all and thanx fir having me...

Now on topic SEADOO SPARK.....
After getting my HX I was thinking of getting something new so I sold my HX today and am contemplating buying a SPARK.
But after reading and seeing that NZ'er who holed his(anyone know how yet). I'm now a bit scared.

Reason bring is I want an aggressive. Light. Punchy ski for surf jumping in. And main factor I want new or new ish. Around the NZ$10k

So what's your opinions and thoughts?
If I don't buy a spark I want a ski no older than 2008 ish and something I know I can throw around the surf and not break lol(within reason)
Please guys help me please.

Like you I also have concerns about the Spark, and I have decided to wait a year before buying one. It's just too new of a ski, I have concerns about the hull being made of plastic, parts availability and fuel economy is apparently not as good as BRP had reported. Also I'm thinking in a year pricing and availability will have stabilized and a Spark can be purchased at or near the advertised price.

I think the jury is still out on this one.

Lou

I haven't had a chance to ride one of the sparks yet, though seeing a few and the way they handled in a recent time trials here, they looked to be as if they don't handle very well during cornering at a higher rate of speed. I would suggest to Customs chat with your local stealership and see if they hold a trial day. Here Bills motorcycles have certain days they take a load of skies to the port Adelaide river for potential buyers to try out. Just a thought for ya good luck ski hunting :)

Anyone have a thread link to the Spark with the old in the hull? What was he doing? I'm just glad Sea Doo is building a small ski again. From I hear from people who have them these things are an absolute blast on the water. Since these are so new its anybody's guess to reliability.

Buy yourself a nice 96 XP, and go jumping for a while on that, let the other guys work the kinks out of the spark and pick one up in a year or 2. By then you will probably get a spark with 110 hp if they find the hull can handle it.

Thanx for the replies guys. Mixed decisions ey lol.. I'm taking a spark for a test on Monday but in a dam.. I really want to try it in the surf tho before I commit. As for another ski the XP is an option but may be a bit old for my liking,but having said that I'm happy to buy an xp.

I take it there's no newer seadoo skis on the market small and fast and punchy?
Is it maby better importing something from the states maby? My money seems to go further when I buy in states for automotive stuff as NZ is a ripoff

Yep, I got serious plans to put a new 4tec into my 97 Challenger. 2-stroke = 2 much BS (problems, consumption, noise, pollution... you name it)

from what I see/hear, it would be better to buy the base model (60hp) and buy the $400 tuner to bring it up to 109hp. I'm not sure what that does to reliability/economy though...

Judging by your responses it sounds like reliability is key. If I were you I would get a new Spark. Cheap price and full warranty.

Oh gosh so many mixed emotions. You guys are giving good advice both ways and it's hard to gauge it lol. Has anyone done a 4tec upgrade into a xp hull before?

Ok it seems a lot if time and effort to obtain a small fast ski so maby I'm better off buying a xp for now and thrn in winter buy a re power package? Who would I approach when buying the re power package then?

I don't know of anyone who does this conversion, it would most likely be one of a kind.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
hehehe i was just dreaming of how seadoo can bring back the old seadoo hulls (fiberglass) with new tech. hopefully with the spark is only the beginning which with all the feedback, i'm sure it is. i but i'm sure the fiberglass would be more$$

Is it only me who thinks that SeaDoo came out with the Spark during winter time to "water test" the new buyers? and work the kinks out before summer 2014?...

Im still getting one, maybe im the target customer for BRP on the new spark, im not really into jumping ocean waves, or beating the hell out of it, just wanted something cool, cheap, fun, cruise, throw in the back of my 4runner, with warranty that I dont have to sell my kidneys for? hell people pay more on their cell bill than a new spark!

My mate purchased the pink 1. His way if justify g it to wifey lol.

So give me a solid answer please. What do I do.

My mate purchased the pink 1. His way if justify g it to wifey lol.

So give me a solid answer please. What do I do.

Get something to ride while you think about it, even if it has to be a Spark! Maybe not a speed demon and it might not suit your needs but at least the Spark should be reliable, I think?

Then pick up something old and make it into a project ski?

Back