Some basic questions please.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best bet is Westside Powersports Seadoo or OSD Seadoo.

It’s ok to reuse the springs that were in the carbs if they haven’t been changed by the previous owner.

What’s the ski again?

That's what I think. Maybe when the arm was bent down slightly (less than 2mm to the best of my measurements) maybe it was bent more than I thought and it's not letting the needle open fully. Sound plausible?

I dont ever like to bend the arm. If it was me I would order springs from osd. You can get 4 different pressures and get where u want to be with out bending the arm.

I contacted OSD, I'm waiting on a reply. My problem is the 115 gram spring will only get 32psi with my 2.0 needle seat. So, what spring do I use to get the 36-40psi like my manual says, or, do I get rid of the factory 2.0 needle seat and downsize to the 1.5? Would the 1.5 hinder the motor?

No don’t change the seat. Pretty sure it uses the 95 gram springs and the 36-40 spec is wrong.

I order from Bay Area Power sports. Those springs are expensive about $5 each. You;ll need the part number there are sites that have them the part numbers for the springs I'll get with you later if you don't find it.

Alright here is the update, this time with good news. When cleaned the carb step by step with Mikidymac's sticky, everything went well except the cleaning of the low speed circuit. I was running low on carb cleaner so I did not have a good spray from the can so I could not tell if I had good spray through the one large port and the three smaller ports. Well, I took it off and re-cleaned it with a new can. I could see a good stream through the three small ports but not a good amount from the large port. I ran a carb brush as far up in there as I could and blew it out with my air compressor. Then resprayed it and had a much better flow. So, I installed the carb again. This time it ran. I had to choke it to start it, but afterwards I opened the choke and it idled. I turned on the water and let it run for about 15-20 minutes. The only problem I am still having, which is probably just a fine tuning issue, is if I am easy or smooth on the throttle it revs just fine. If I goose it, blip it, or whatever you want to call it, it will bog down and either struggle to come back or just die. It started right back up each time, but I want to figure this out.

Just so we all know what I have done up until this point I removed the spring, since I no longer have a stock spring and the Mikuni springs are not color coded, and I stretched it so it popped off at 36psi which is where SeaDooSource says my 2003 GTI LE should be. YES YES YES, I know not to cut or stretch the spring, I just did it for today to see if I can get it to run. I have ordered a replacement spring and will install it when it comes in. I also replaced the arm with one that was not bent. So the arm is exactly level with the carb body like described in the rebuild sticky.

I still need to figure out what that hesitation is, but it could be the spring. Once the spring arrives I will put it in and continue tuning the carb. It has been a long road with this ski due to weather, sickness, and me just being too lazy to go outside in the cold to work on it. But finally it is running and I want to say thank you to everyone who offered advice on this rebuild. I wil keep updating this thread till the ski runs like it should so anyone else who may have similar issues will know what steps I took to resolve them.

Never ever run it for more than a minute or so on the hose you might have already burned up your driveshaft seal.

If it still bogs when giving it gas you might still have a dirty pilot circuit. But it sure sounds like your accelerator pump isn’t squirting.

I dont have the drive shaft installed. I knew I'd be running this motor so I never reinstalled it after I aligned the motor. Accelerator pump...didnt check that. Crap!

Okay, seems like its running correctly now, at least on the trailer it does. We will see once its in the water. I still have to purchase the inductive RPM reader to verify the idle speed is set right. Once I got the pop off correct according to the manual it ran well but when you hit the throttle it bogged down and died mostly. Mikidymac mentioned the accelerator pump so I checked that and sure enough, the nipple that goes from the pump to the carb throat was busted and not giving a good seal so not only was it leaking fuel in the hull but it was not getting in the carb. I ordered a new fuel Moroso fuel nipple for $3.50 and installed it tonight.

So, to recap my issues from the start.
1, the carb was dirty.
2, pop off was wrong.
3, used a knock off Amazon carb kit, that was the wrong choice. USE AUTHENTIC Mikuni carb kit. There is a difference!
4, verify the check valves are installed in the right direction. They have a curve, the curve needs to curve down toward the carb plate they install into.
5, cleaned the pilot circuit again since I did not do a good job the first time. Note: do not rely on sonic cleaners like I did, spray carb cleaner and verify cleaner is flowing strongly. I recommend Gumout with Regain carb cleaner.
6, once the Mikuni carb kit was installed, the check valves were in correctly, and pop off was correct, it ran and idled correctly. Even easing on the throttle was fine. However, hit the throttle quickly, it would bog down and die sometimes.
7, Accelerator pump outlet nipple was damaged. Ordered a new one from Moroso and installed it.

Now everything seems fine. Time to put it in the water and try it. I hasn't seen water since 2015!

Thanks again to everyone who has helped my and offered their advice. Now, time to rebuild the next one a 1999 GSX Limited.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back