Should I Buy a 97 Challenger 1800?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

HawKnighT

There's an opportunity to buy a 1997 Sea Doo Challenger 1800 Twin engines with Trailer for 1700 dls, but owner said "one engine works fine but the other im not sure 100%" Well, my dad said " that's a good opportunity go a ahead and buy it, these boats are for sale around 5000 dls". So don't know what to do.....The top of both engines were opened by owner and there's a little bit of corrosion inside and around the pistons, as well. He said "I didn't flushed properly the last time he used in salt water (sea)".
That boat is really nice but a i cant afford more that 5000 dls to get a newer model :(

What's the advise, then? Make the:confused purchase or not?

:confused:

If you are aren't mechanically inclined, I suggest you have it looked at by a seadoo dealer before you buy. It might be that the engine is seized and needs replacement. Tell the seller you'll purchase it for his price after the seadoo dealer gives you a complete update of what it needs. This way you know what to expect to pay after the purchase. It might cost you a little money to have it inspected but it's better than loosing a lot of money if Both engines need major repairs after the sale.

Karl

Thanks for that answer.....

Some people said "is so simple like a auto engine" but i dont know, just to fix a auto engine is like 800 dls. The boat is like 200 miles away in a little town :(

WHAT COST SHOULD I EXPECT, THEN?

If a have to rebuilt both engines.

WHAT KIND OF PARTS I WILL NEED, SUCH: CARBS KITS, ENGINE KITS AND?

Im sorry, the guy gave a deadline for end of the day. i will appreciate it if you guys can give me an advise

Motors cost $845ea rebuilt from SBT.
If you can fit them yourself then this boat could be a good buy.
Mine cost me $6500 1 year ago, great boat, size and power are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an opportunity to buy a 1997 Sea Doo Challenger 1800 Twin engines with Trailer for 1700 dls, but owner said "one engine works fine but the other im not sure 100%" Well, my dad said " that's a good opportunity go a ahead and buy it, these boats are for sale around 5000 dls". So don't know what to do.....The top of both engines were opened by owner and there's a little bit of corrosion inside and around the pistons, as well. He said "I didn't flushed properly the last time he used in salt water (sea)".
That boat is really nice but a i cant afford more that 5000 dls to get a newer model :(

What's the advise, then? Make the:confused purchase or not?

:confused:

he brother, If you decide not to buy it, "pm" me the address...:cheers:

Anyone who want to buy it Go Ahead

Its a 1997 Sea Doo Challenger 1800 Twin engine with Trailer For 1600.00 dls.

The boat is sitting in Tucson,Az. You need to go down there and pick up

Call this Number (520) 405-1495 or (520) 578-8829

or e-mail: gueroplayero@yahoo.com

I dont have the time or money to invest in this boat. I have to pass ;(

Its a 1997 Sea Doo Challenger 1800 Twin engine with Trailer For 1600.00 dls.

The boat is sitting in Tucson,Az. You need to go down there and pick up

Call this Number (520) 405-1495 or (520) 578-8829

or e-mail: gueroplayero@yahoo.com

I dont have the time or money to invest in this boat. I have to pass ;(

Should be bounc'n out tomorrow afternoon....:hurray:

This looks like a great find! This is one of my favorite models from the entire line-up. I am interested in getting some details of condition and expected work being needed. Good luck on the ride to and from!

This looks like a great find! This is one of my favorite models from the entire line-up. I am interested in getting some details of condition and expected work being needed. Good luck on the ride to and from!

Yah, top of seats and "rim" around sun-deck needs attention, but nothing that "green" duct tape cant fix. Bsides that, rip thru fuel system and get water out of motors...found another killer deal on 97 Speedster, think'n of get'n that today, dude took trade on it for roll cage work, just wants it gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back