Seriously important question...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooper77515

freebie fixer
Premium Member
...will the pop-pup ski-rope holder stand up to a water skier or skurfer/wakeboarder? (97 Challenger)

Need to know before I break something trying....:confused:

......I wouldn't !

No scooper, I wouldn't trust it. I use it for tubing with my children but I've already read post from members who have bent it.

I think, for tubing, it would work just fine. I think it would also work with a wake and skier but when you ski or board, you have the ability of changing the weight pull on the post. If someone really leans back in the boot and pulls hard to cut across the wake, I bet it would bend easy. The weight of the skier/boarder plays a major roll too..........:cheers:

That is kinda what I was thinking...It just didn't seem structurally strong enough to hold someone yanking on it.

I want to try to skurf behind the boat today, and would really like my rope to be as high out of the water as possible, but I also don't want a chunk of aluminum flying at me or having it bend and my rope slipping off and flying back at me.

The question was "seriously important" only because if it didn't hold, I could be "seriously" injured...

Well, had fun, but didn't try out the board. I got to test if it would ride well strapped to the bimini top frame, but the air/water combo was a bit chilly, and I didn't think I would be able to enjoy myself riding the board with my knees and teeth chattering.

Played in the water a bit, but wet only from the waist down. Threw the tennis ball for the dog, but even she was chattering when we were done.

Might be done with water sports for the season. Now it is time to just drive around and maybe catch a few fish...

Beautiful day here too!

Yeah, I was out today too!.....and your right, the water temp is dropping. The day was great but the water was not very inviting. I did throw a pole for a while.

The hinges? don't waste your time. I got the 2" like you said and grinded them done to make them a bit more low profile but they will not fit inside the grooves well enough for a good closure. The thickness of the plastic verses the stainless must be thinner. I'll probably go with the original plastic hinges again. I'll just keep a better eye on their deteriation from season to season.

Well, had fun, but didn't try out the board. I got to test if it would ride well strapped to the bimini top frame, but the air/water combo was a bit chilly, and I didn't think I would be able to enjoy myself riding the board with my knees and teeth chattering.

Played in the water a bit, but wet only from the waist down. Threw the tennis ball for the dog, but even she was chattering when we were done.

Might be done with water sports for the season. Now it is time to just drive around and maybe catch a few fish...

I have a 98 sportster with that same pole... and I have wakeboarded behind it a few times already with no problem.. it was bent when I bought the boat, and it doesn't seem to have bent anymore. I weigh 190lbs.

Well, I am 210, so I don't want to take the chance...:ack:

Might be just the extra 20 lbs to make it bend.

LOL, the pole does seem pretty cheesy.. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it holds up with more useage... I do have some heavier friends...

What about sliding a smaller pipe inside the pole?

Do you guys think that one could insert a smaller pipe inside the pole to help strengthen it?
You know, a pipe that just fits inside.
I am 200lbs and would like to use the pole on my speedster, but I know with my luck, I'll bend it and snap it off - LOL

I think you could do that, with a smaller thicker, heavier pole, but I still think the mounting device is weak...where it mounts onto the boat. I think it could have been done in a stronger manner.

I agree

I think you could do that, with a smaller thicker, heavier pole, but I still think the mounting device is weak...where it mounts onto the boat. I think it could have been done in a stronger manner.
I took another look at the mounting bracket and in general the whole assembly is pretty weak. I guess I'll be using the tow ring.

Tubes....

I towed a big Doral with my Sea-doo with no problem whatsoever... lol

I don't know what a big Doral is but if it's kin to a tube, then there isn't a huge concern over them. I tow a tube and kneeboard behind mine. The riders are 6 and 7.

The tube has no change in drag. If you could get up on the board or ski and stay directly behind the boat without cutting back and forth, it may hold. It's the hard pull it gets from a boarder or skier pulling really hard when you go into a hard cut that has bent the pole in the past. I have only read about this happening here in the forum. My pole is straight. I have pulled adults behind it in the tube also. :cheers:

A big Doral is another boat. My friend has a Doral 33" cabin cruiser with twin 400hp motors. It is insane. If you can tow a Doral with no problem you can wake board with no issues.

I was told not to tow a tube on the pop-up post but skiers would be ok (at the Seadoo shop). We had more weight on the tubes, 2-3 kids, 90-120 lbs each than would go on skis so I used the loop on the back for towing tubes. We had no issues towing any skiers 180-200 lbs on the pop-up. Mind you, we weren't terribly experienced/demanding in changing direction. My buddy was crossing back and forth a fair bit (180lbs), but not super hard carving. In all, I was more adventurous whipping the tube around and could feel the boat "jerk" so I was glad I didn't attach to the pop-up but the loop.

Just my limited experience :)

Maciej

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back