Exploding Oil Tank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

PSBeachBum

Good Morning all. Been deployed for a bit but coming back soon. Just before I left my Oil tank exploded and so did my replacement. I was mitigating between the two by just leaving the cap loose but in the end i forgot one day and pop goes a second. Seeing the availability of these I believe its time for me to figure out why. I am simply thinking its taking pressure from the return lines that go up to the fill neck.

Question is... I assume the engine needs a rebuild. Its runs great but something must of let go and is over pressurizing something.
Has anyone encountered this problem before?
I would like to just toss a "new" engine in and get a custom fabricated tank with better venting abilities but within the shop manuals specs.
New engine or top end rebuild? I know its not much to work with but just need recommendations.

p.s. I dont have a house (i live onboard the ship) I do have a garage i can tow the boat to and work on it. The boat is also stored in a storage unit with 0 power hookups so he availability of tools is a concern between replace and rebuild.

Good Morning all. Been deployed for a bit but coming back soon. Just before I left my Oil tank exploded and so did my replacement. I was mitigating between the two by just leaving the cap loose but in the end i forgot one day and pop goes a second. Seeing the availability of these I believe its time for me to figure out why. I am simply thinking its taking pressure from the return lines that go up to the fill neck.

Question is... I assume the engine needs a rebuild. Its runs great but something must of let go and is over pressurizing something.
I would like to just toss a "new" engine in and get a custom fabricated tank with better venting abilities but within the shop manuals specs.
New engine or top end rebuild? I know its not much to work with but just need recommendations.

p.s. I dont have a house (i live onboard the ship) I do have a garage i can tow the boat to and work on it. The boat is also stored in a storage unit with 0 power hookups so he availability of tools is a concern between replace and rebuild.
fix the vent for the tank that allows for expansion

If you could provide some back story, what machine? Is the machine being ridden? Being ridden before oil tank explodes? Are you sure your not getting gas in the oil tank somehow? I’ve never heard of exploding oil tanks and you have had 2 explode? Just seems odd, I have oil jugs, some full, some half empty that are completely sealed and no explosions. Also you mentioned that it runs good but you are thinking of replacing motor or rebuilding top end to rectify the exploding oil tank situation, I would not change the engine to rectify the oil tank. It has to be something simple. have you tried testing the vent on top of the oil tank? to see at what pressure it opens up? Or if it opens at all?

If you could provide some back story, what machine? Is the machine being ridden? Being ridden before oil tank explodes? Are you sure your not getting gas in the oil tank somehow? I’ve never heard of exploding oil tanks and you have had 2 explode? Just seems odd, I have oil jugs, some full, some half empty that are completely sealed and no explosions. Also you mentioned that it runs good but you are thinking of replacing motor or rebuilding top end to rectify the exploding oil tank situation, I would not change the engine to rectify the oil tank. It has to be something simple. have you tried testing the vent on top of the oil tank? to see at what pressure it opens up? Or if it opens

Back