sealing an exhaust leak? '97 xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

russianphil18

so i have a small crack in my exhaust right above the oil injector in my '97 xp. the water which cools the engine sprays out at a steady tiny spray. how could i seal it and is it worth it or should i just buy a new exhaust piece? its coming out of that circular piece protruding from the tube.

also where is the best place to get the rubber cover for the start stop button?

People have come up with different suggestions for this problem, you aren't the first. But I think the best is take that piece of the exhaust off and take it to an aluminum welder. They cut it out and weld in a new piece. I just got my brothers done for him. They are known to go. $60 up here, but I have read around $20 in the states. Don't get a new exhaust piece, that runs $400 plus.

shopsbt sells the starter button for $2.

Cheers

ok thanks i will look into doing that. how could i temporarily seal it or attach something to divert the water while i break in the engine. only need to ride out this first tank of gas. i dont want to have to pull it out to drain it every 30 minutes. after the break in i can take it back from the marina and do the permanent seal. any ideas??

JB weld....it wont last as long as rewelding it...but its a temp fix. make sure its really dry and rough up the area.

Can't really. I tired exhaust seal stuff. Hard as nails, but I didn't take off the exhaust and when I put it on a very small amount of water was still there and it didn't work properly.

Just take the exhaust off and get it fixed right. Only an hour of work for the welder.

if your bailers are still in place and working, they can more than handle a "tiny, steady stream" coming from the exhaust. some people have ground down where the leaks are and repaired with JB weld, but most have pulled the pipe and taken it to a shop that can weld up the aluminum. the latter is probably the best bet because if you have one weld plug leaking, you likely have other ones leaking, or will shortly.

the bailers only work under movement right? the weld plugs are only on that one piece of the exhaust system right? cause when it comes down to it i can get that piece off and back on with not that much trouble but the other areas of exhaust will require alot of small areas to fit through.
Whats the difference between welding steel and welding aluminum?

thanks for all the help

I'm not a welder but I believe the difference is the type of "welding solder" you must use. Maybe temp too?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back