98 XP No Spark on Mag Cyl

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wakeboard247

Hey guys first post so try to take it easy on me haha.

I bought a 98 xp a few months ago and have been tearing it apart and putting it back together a lot more times than I care to admit. I am not sure why I didn't check this first however I have just realized that I don't have spark on the mag cyl but I have good spark on the PTO cyl. I have replaced the spark plugs and the coil/wires. Still no spark. I pulled the mag cover off and it looks pretty clean in there there were SOME metal chips I assume to be from the starter/flywheel so I cleaned those out. I checked from leg to leg on the stator? and got 1 ohm all three ways. I'm not really sure where to go from here. When it is in the water it starts good but wont go above 4k rpm and dies really easily, no matter what I do with the throttle (pumping or holding it steady at any position.) Things that I have done/ checked: rebuilt carbs with mikuni carb kits, checked for proper jets, checked pop off pressure, checked reeds, new MPEM from ebay (ARIELTEK), new DESS post, new Start/Stop button, cleaned connections at the battery/starter/mag cover, and checked continuity from the stator? plug to the plug at the MPEM. I am really starting to get pretty frustrated with this thing so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

98 is supposed to be a single coil with 2 wires off one coil wasted spark system
Try cutting the plug wires back 1/4 inch,,and of course new plugs,,did you check that it is charging?,,,also,,,do a load test in the battery and easily remove it from your equation,

I forgot to mention that I also already replaced the single coil that has both of the plug wires already fitted. Also I have cut the wires back and reinstalled the boot 2 or 3 times each time with there being a hole in the middle of the insulation with wires lining the hole from the screw. Are we sure that this is a wasted spark style ignition. If so then I guess that my old one was bad as well as my new one.

If you have the front electrical box,,,remove the white pulse wire from the coil,,,put a test light in series with pulse wire from the cdi,,,ground the light to the coil tower ground,,,try to start it,,if it pulses your issues are in that box,,,grounds,,coil,,,etc,,,if no pulse,,,your issues are up stream

If you have the front electrical box,,,remove the white pulse wire from the coil,,,put a test light in series with pulse wire from the cdi,,,ground the light to the coil tower ground,,,try to start it,,if it pulses your issues are in that box,,,grounds,,coil,,,etc,,,if no pulse,,,your issues are up stream
I put a test light in series with the pulse wire (ground clamp on the post and sharp end in the female connector and no light whatsoever while cranking or otherwise. What could be my issues upstream? I have a new MPEM installed and I have checked continuity from the connector at the plug on the front of the stator to the other plug (number 2) at the MPEM. Also at this point for clarity's sake I have no spark on either CYL, which makes sense because there is no 20V at the white pulse wire on the coil.

Test trigger pickup.
Okay I got 244 Ohms across the Yellow/White wire to the Black/Yellow wire the service manual said to measure across a white wire and the yellow/black but I do not have a solid white wire. Also I got .3VAC across the same wires while cranking by jumping the starter solenoid. Does this mean that I need to buy another MPEM?

The pickup sends a signal to the cdi,,which i think is in your mpem,,?,which sends voltage to the coils,,,i just use a test light,,,don't know what the voltage is?

the CDI is in the MPEM on these skis, do you think that means that I need to get another MPEM? I don't mind doing so if that what I need to do, I bought this ski at the beginning of the summer and have yet to really use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back