SeaDoo XP Rattling LOUD

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexDixi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hi, new to SeaDoo and just bought one. 2001 SeaDoo XP with a 951.

I got it cheap, but it rattles loud when idling in the water. On land I can't hear it as much. Idles ~1500 in water, ~3000 out.

The sound is like something rattling inside the engine. It's very metallic. I didn't rev it up while in the water because the sound was a bit scary and didn't want to destroy anything. But I heard it could go away with more throttle?

Any ideas? Thank you for the help, love this place!

Hi, new to SeaDoo and just bought one. 2001 SeaDoo XP with a 951.

I got it cheap, but it rattles loud when idling in the water. On land I can't hear it as much. Idles ~1500 in water, ~3000 out.

The sound is like something rattling inside the engine. It's very metallic. I didn't rev it up while in the water because the sound was a bit scary and didn't want to destroy anything. But I heard it could go away with more throttle?

Any ideas? Thank you for the help, love this place!

Is this your first SeaDoo? Basically all seadoos rattle, there are ways to reduce it but I forget what the part is called. I don't think its worth it because like you said, you only really notice on the trailer

If the ski isn't running well then the rattling might be something else, but sounds like you're fine

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe its the end-play common rattle in the jet-pump you are hearing. Buy an anti-rattle kit and install it and new 75W90 synthetic oil,
Its that time of year to do the yearly maintenance and have a worry free Summer!

Your ski is idleing 200 rpm too high.

Wecome to Seadooforum! Join as a Premium member for access to the library and all the Moderators give Premium advise. Once in their
you have access to all the Factory Service Manuals and Owner manuals not to mention again the premium Advice! Welcome ALEX

Thank you for helping. I will look at the premium membership. It looks good.

The issue is only noticeable IN the water though. It rattles (sounds like metal pining) louder with it in the water and sounds like it's coming from the actual engine. It's much more noticeable when I take the hood off. I'm not sure it's the jet-pump end play (but I guess it could be...just sounds "scarier" than that!)

yeah the cone should have the anti rattle part in it since its a 2001. You sound like you are describing a crank bearing thats mins from destruction.

I went ahead and got premium membership, but the manual doesn't say how to inspect the crank bearings. How can I check those?

You have to disassemble the motor to inspect the crank bearings. If it's the "SeaDoo Rattle" and anti rattle kit will help but not eliminate the noise. If you increase the speed a touch it will go away, you'll get use to it.

Ask someone who owns a SeaDoo to ride yours and see if the noise is above normal.

Lou

If it goes away when you rev it a little, try increasing the idle speed a hundred RPM or 2.

Chester

I recorded a sound bite of the engine running in the water at idle. Quality isn't the best, but please tell me what you think!!

Attachments

• xp.mp3
    468 KB · Views: 160
I honestly can't tell, I can hear a noise but it also sounds like the idle is a little low. What are your rpm's at idle?

Lou

I've got a 951 in that does what I think is the same thing. I didnt look at the RPM, but it does go away when I rev it up.

When I shut down the motor is makes even more noise....sounds like piston slap to me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back