Seadoo won't start just a clunk!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmskeen

I just bought 2 1996 and 1997 GSX seadoos. Took them down to run them and long story short one runs perfect the other doesn't.
I put one in the water and I tried to start it and all I got was a little bit of a rumble shake and then nothing so I tried it again and I just got a clunk noise but just one. And it's consistently been just one. I bought a new starter solenoid thinking it was maybe that I haven't gotten the part yet.

My other concern is that when I pulled one of the plugs I realized it was not sealed and water was getting it while I was transferring the skis on the trailer. Water came out but I don't feel like it flooded the enough to cause any damage. But maybe at this point I'm open for suggestions.

Pull the plugs and see if it cranks then?

If so,, what shoots out of the plug holes, water or oil?

If not, grab the PTO, can you turn it over by hand?

If not, then pull the impeller pump as the bearings may be seized. Once pulled, can you then turn it over by hand?

Very good chance that if the water has been sitting in there for any length of time that the motor is junk,,,

But,, you have to try at least. Keep cranking to get the water out. Once you THNK you have it out, put the plugs back in and see if it will run.

If so, get it it the ramp and let it run for a good 10 minutes at the ramp. If all is still good and there are no other issues, then you need to run it for 30 minutes to get all the standing water out of the block.

I think it's been in there maybe 12 hours. I am cranking it and spraying WD -40 in the air filter I think I almost have the majority of the water out. I'll keep going for a little while longer just to make sure. Then I'll try and start it and it to the water.
Any other suggestions?

You have to get it running then get it out on the water and run it to burn all the water out. No other way about it.

Do I need to crank it with the spark plugs out till absolutely all the water is gone and nothing but WD-40 is coming out. I'm getting a mixture as of right now.

You don't need the WD-40. Just keep cranking it with the fuel off, plugs out and plug wires grounded on the provided tabs and throttle held wide open.
You need to let the starter cool too don't just crank for minutes.
When you thing it is all out put your thump loosely over one spark plug hole at a time to build a little pressure and more water will come out.
After all this put the plugs back in, turn the fuel on and try to start it. You will probably have to pull the plugs and clean them a few times but eventually it will sputter to life.

Just a update I got most of the water out and ran it for a few minutes then took it down to the water and let it just putter around for a few minutes. Then I gave it about 1/4 throttle for 8-10 minutes ran it around for about an hour. And it seems to be just fine stopped and started it a few times no problem there. So disaster averted for now.
Thanks for the help

Always fog the engine well at days end. Burp the engine to expel the water in the exhaust, as after shut down the heat will convert any moisture into steam, and will rust any internal raw parts not fogged. This is the Best-Best-Best preventive you can do for the 2-stroke engine!

Bills86e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back