SeaDoo Utopia - electrical issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattard

I have a 2001 SeaDoo Utopia 185. Had an issue starting recently. No power at all. It had sat for two weeks so I expected it to be the battery. Took the battery out, charged overnight. Put it back in. At first, fan worked but engine still didn't even try to turn over. Made sure it's properly in neutral, still nothing. Two minutes later, tried again, and this time fan has no power either. Battery must be fine, but can't get any power to anything. I'm guessing it's an electrical issue somewhere. I've only found two fuses around the engine and they both seem fine. If you haven't guessed yet... I'm not the most mechanical dude around. Help is welcome, thank you.

Unless you happen to have a good known spare on hand may I suggest you try charging your battery and then having it load tested first?

Any of the chain automotive stores will load test the battery for you free of charge and it's SOP in any electrical system diagnosis as step one before the testing meter comes out.

So, I just put a brand new battery in. Blower works fine now, but that's all that does. Motor still won't turn over.

So, I just put a brand new battery in. Blower works fine now, but that's all that does. Motor still won't turn over.

You're getting the two quick beeps from the MPEM when you place the DESS lanyard on the post to indicate all is ready to go with the security and ignition system? If not, remove the lanyard and try again after 10 minutes.

Try the starter now, if no luck read on and seriously consider obtaining the service manual for your boat they are available here on the website.

Have a test light and meter handy, you want to first verify there is 12vdc coming into the starter solenoid, when the momentary switch on the start button is depressed you should have 12vdc coming out of the load side of the solenoid where the red cable attaches and goes down to the starter.

Test light is sufficient for that or a meter if you prefer to verify solenoid operation, let us know what you find there first and we can get farther into it from there if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back