Electrical Box Wiring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

mejim707

Hi, I've been having an issue this year with the boat shutting off randomly. Sometimes it fires right back up others it does not and I have to mess with it until it finally works. Happened again today leaving the dock, pressed the throttle a little and shut off. Started right up went a little further and the same. This time the key wouldn't do anything, no beep no nothing. The post is new as of early last year, and the key is clean with no issues holding to the post.

I believe the connections in the electrical box are the cause. And after the horrific waves a few days ago I'm sure it got jostled around a lot.

This box is a disaster, but I don't know if this is normal. It's a birds nest and the circuit boxes are just kinda shoved in there with nothing holding them in place. It's a disaster to say the least.

I want to go through it and redo it so it's clean and easy to manage but I fear I'll start the process and some wire will be put back wrong and it won't work right.

Does anyone have a picture of their electrical box they can share for reference? I'll do my best to label everything but I'd love a reference pic to match against.

Each wire is connected together with an outer clear sleeve. I don't know if this is factory or some hack the previous owner did it after the fact. But I want it fixed.

Also, can anyone recommend a proper dielectric grease I should use lightly on each connection to ensure a perfect and unadulterated connection?

Thank you!

So I redid the wiring in the electrical box. I found the wiring diagram for the challenger but it's not accurate as far as all the wire colors. But the general pin out seemed good.

One by one I labeled each connection, then pulled the wires apart, cleaned the connection with a metal brush then added a little dielectric grease to each connection. I then relocated how the birds nest was routed so all bundles were tucked away nice and so the large fuse block could seat in there clean. I added a wire tie to the respective bundle of wire to keep them from jostling around. No electrical gremlins!

I did notice a pin on one of the connectors was pushed in and was barely touching so I fixed that.

Also, the red / (green) wire from the 12v constant power post on the starter solenoid which connects to the 5a fuse in the fuse block was barely holding on and just fell out. That wire also connects to the relay module and could have been my problem all along. With that disconnected the MPEM does not respond at all when the key is placed on the post.

I squeezed the female connector closed a bit to hold the male connector properly and reconnected it. The key responds each time now.

I'm pretty sure that wire got mostly pulled out when I fell off the edge of the earth a few times on the lake. Those waves burst up form under you and there's no place to go. The water could be flat and smooth, but the large boats off in the distance get the undercurrents going crazy. The lake is almost 100 feet deep and the undercurrents burst up in front of you out of nowhere and you literally fall off the water and slam down if you're going like 25, but faster and you launch into orbit! It's not pleasant...

At any rate, I tried the key many times and it's perfect now. And when I hit the starter is sounds stronger and more responsive than ever.

I'm hope that's it, and tomorrow will be the water test. I'll report back! And I'll post a few pics of the final box arrangement.

So I redid the wiring in the electrical box. I found the wiring diagram for the challenger but it's not accurate as far as all the wire colors. But the general pin out seemed good.

One by one I labeled each connection, then pulled the wires apart, cleaned the connection with a metal brush then added a little dielectric grease to each connection. I then relocated how the birds nest was routed so all bundles were tucked away nice and so the large fuse block could seat in there clean. I added a wire tie to the respective bundle of wire to keep them from jostling around. No electrical gremlins!

I did notice a pin on one of the connectors was pushed in and was barely touching so I fixed that.

Also, the red / (green) wire from the 12v constant power post on the starter solenoid which connects to the 5a fuse in the fuse block was barely holding on and just fell out. That wire also connects to the relay module and could have been my problem all along. With that disconnected the MPEM does not respond at all when the key is placed on the post.

I squeezed the female connector closed a bit to hold the male connector properly and reconnected it. The key responds each time now.

I'm pretty sure that wire got mostly pulled out when I fell off the edge of the earth a few times on the lake. Those waves burst up form under you and there's no place to go. The water could be flat and smooth, but the large boats off in the distance get the undercurrents going crazy. The lake is almost 100 feet deep and the undercurrents burst up in front of you out of nowhere and you literally fall off the water and slam down if you're going like 25, but faster and you launch into orbit! It's not pleasant...

At any rate, I tried the key many times and it's perfect now. And when I hit the starter is sounds stronger and more responsive than ever.

I'm hope that's it, and tomorrow will be the water test. I'll report back! And I'll post a few pics of the final box arrangement.
Sounds like you did a real nice job đź‘Ť

Back